Gt350 Looks questionable in the hp department or am I off?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I do not know when this specific test started. But I would be very surprised if it did not.

You do know where I'm going with this in regards to the Terminator motor, or even the blown Lightning motors. There is no way either of those motors could've passed that kind of torture testing due to their inherent flaws. PTW issues in the Terminators, and glass rods in the Lightnings. Maybe this testing came to be after these motors were introduced to insure it wasn't a continuing pattern?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I don't think the 526hp is to low for this car. I wouldn't be surprised at its weight if it doesn't run in the 11's in stock form. Also I know first hand how good magnaride is. Caddie on stock rubber puts down consistent 1.81 60fts. Far superior to the stiffly sprung live axle under my GT500.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I don't think the 526hp is to low for this car. I wouldn't be surprised at its weight if it doesn't run in the 11's in stock form. Also I know first hand how good magnaride is. Caddie on stock rubber puts down consistent 1.81 60fts. Far superior to the stiffly sprung live axle under my GT500.

The c7z06 has put down 1.5x 60 time on its stock ps cup 2 tires already. I would not surprised if the R can hit a 1.6x on the same tire.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You do know where I'm going with this in regards to the Terminator motor, or even the blown Lightning motors. There is no way either of those motors could've passed that kind of torture testing due to their inherent flaws. PTW issues in the Terminators, and glass rods in the Lightnings. Maybe this testing came to be after these motors were introduced to insure it wasn't a continuing pattern?

The lightning and terminator mill failures are almost exclusively modified cars. It's very rare to hear of a stock lightning or terminator mill destructing.

I wouldn't be surprised if both mills passed a 300hr stress test at max RPM/boost.

That said, there was a magazine test car that blew its stock terminator engine by 3,000 miles according to a car and driver article iirc. I believe it saw a 3 to 2 "up shift" at 6500rpms iirc.

526hp is enough for 120+ in a 1/4 mile. Keep in mind this is a circuit car.

The sticky tires and mag ride will cut great 60fts. It should pull easy 11's with a decent driver

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The lightning and terminator mill failures are almost exclusively modified cars. It's very rare to hear of a stock lightning or terminator mill destructing.

I wouldn't be surprised if both mills passed a 300hr stress test at max RPM/boost.

That said, there was a magazine test car that blew its stock terminator engine by 3,000 miles according to a car and driver article iirc. I believe it saw a 3 to 2 "up shift" at 6500rpms iirc.

The sticky tires and mag ride will cut great 60fts. It should pull easy 11's with a decent driver

I would think even at stock boost levels the Terminator motor would have issues WOT for 300 hrs.

Problem with stock Terminator shifters was going to 2nd instead of 4th. It was the 2nd worse shifter I've had in any car, ever. Worst was the stock shifter in my 12 GT500. Hopefully Ford has learned something regarding shifters and shift quality with the GT350.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
That's what the 24 hour track test that had to maintain lap consistency within 3% was for. That was for this car at least.

sono

Established Member
The 12 was held back by not having a tvs obviously. Not the other way around. So give it a tvs and 680whp is on par with most 13-14 gt500. Almost all 12 guys knew that going in, so no reason to start implying it's not a 13 or a hellcat, because in every way it's on par. The guys at the dealership say it feels like much more than a stock 13-14.

So I have the experience to have a say.

sono

Established Member
Uh the 12 was held back by an old blower. The tvs was out way before the 12 so most guys new the score going in. Mine throws down 680whp without headers 800 crank. More than a stock 13 and on par with a hellcat. That was had for about 6k. Plus the 48k I paid. So an 800 hp car with 750 torque on a monster curve for 54k!!! with stock like performance.
So compare that! That is reality! Thinking that the gt350 is a sub 50k car calls your credibility into question not mine.

I ordered the boss and then went for the leftover 12gt500 instead due to the anytime torque.

My price was 44k on a 13 boss and 48k on the gt500. A couple high school buddies run a local dealership and it's not going to be any where near that price for a gt350. So if i was to walk in and pay 70k for a gt350 I'm scratching my head and saying 526hp feels a little light!

Whats off about that? Stickers and internet numbers mean nothing. What's the average Joe have to to pay and does the engine meet that expectation based on prior offerings from Ford?

Last edited:

Ubergeist

Established Member

I would be surpised if the GT350 puts up 120mph traps as a norm. Maybe with Evan behind the wheel at ATCO, but I say the average joes will be in the mid teen range.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I would be surpised if the GT350 puts up 120mph traps as a norm. Maybe with Evan behind the wheel at ATCO, but I say the average joes will be in the mid teen range.

I could see it being within shouting distance of an 11-12 GT500. GT500 has a little more hp/TQ, but also more weight.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member

I'd say closer to 120 than not. Bosses trapped pretty high in most stock tests. 115-117 range if I remember correctly.

Ubergeist

Established Member
I could see it being within shouting distance of an 11-12 GT500. GT500 has a little more hp/TQ, but also more weight.

The 2011 GT500 that C&D tested weight in at 3751. The last Mustang GT coupe they test came in at 3810. I would be surpised if it comes in at less weight than the 2011 GT500.

Mind you, I am thinking of the non-R with some of the luxury options.

krt22

Established Member
Uh the 12 was held back by an old blower. The tvs was out way before the 12 so most guys new the score going in. Mine throws down 680whp without headers 800 crank. More than a stock 13 and on par with a hellcat. That was had for about 6k. Plus the 48k I paid. So an 800 hp car with 750 torque on a monster curve for 54k!!! with stock like performance.
So compare that! That is reality! Thinking that the gt350 is a sub 50k car calls your credibility into question not mine.

I ordered the boss and then went for the leftover 12gt500 instead due to the anytime torque.

My price was 44k on a 13 boss and 48k on the gt500. A couple high school buddies run a local dealership and it's not going to be any where near that price for a gt350. So if i was to walk in and pay 70k for a gt350 I'm scratching my head and saying 526hp feels a little light!

Whats off about that? Stickers and internet numbers mean nothing. What's the average Joe have to to pay and does the engine meet that expectation based on prior offerings from Ford?

Cool story bro. But I think you are completely missing the point/purpose of the GT350. It is NOT a GT500 replacement, think of it as a Boss 302 on steroids and I'm guessing you would have to spend a lot more than a few k to get a boss 302 to hang with the GT350. Only time will tell, but I'm pretty confident the GT350 will be WELL worth the extra cost over a boss. That is of course if you expectations of the car extend past just straight line acceleration and peak HP numbers.

sono

Established Member
I'm not missing the point "Bro".
It will cost 70k and the engine puts out 526 hp. Plus It's production numbers are numbers are "F" me low. That means it's at least 70k walk in dealer pricing.

I'll drop it though, I'm just raising the question to keep these guys honest.

Last edited:

krt22

Established Member
You are 100% missing the point, but no point continuing the debate since you think peak HP is all that matters.

And I secured my car at MSRP, as have many others. But if you want peak HP, then by all means save yourself the trouble and get something with a supercharger and leave the GT350s for those looking to turn and stop them

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
The Z28 is also much more expensive than the more powerful ZL1. The road race cars are built for something different than the higher hp models. The amount of money that went into the brakes, the suspension, the chassis, the NA drivetrain, the wheels, etc. is very great in comparison to just adding power.

526 isn't the most they could've possibly gotten, it's what they chose to stick with for the best balance for the car's purpose. It will be faster around the road course than likely anything under $100K. I understand that this car doesn't make sense for your goals, but you have to be willing to accept the fact that Ford built a car for a different group of enthusiasts. It doesn't mean that they don't know what they're doing.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The 12 was held back by not having a tvs obviously. Not the other way around. So give it a tvs and 680whp is on par with most 13-14 gt500. Almost all 12 guys knew that going in, so no reason to start implying it's not a 13 or a hellcat, because in every way it's on par. The guys at the dealership say it feels like much more than a stock 13-14.
So I have the experience to have a say.

Oh hell! If you want to play this stupid game lets play...
[video=youtube;OcbI-00lQJk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcbI-00lQJk[/video]
[video=youtube;nRzHEPeK33U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRzHEPeK33U[/video]

For the record we are looking at modified vs modified since you are so pleased with your modified vehicle for $54k...
$4k sn95, $30k drivetrain, $15k supension/wheels/tires. $5k cage/safety. Racing a GTR race car! Now what car feels light on...excuse me heavy on Crap??!

My price was 44k on a 13 boss and 48k on the gt500. A couple high school buddies run a local dealership and it's not going to be any where near that price for a gt350. So if i was to walk in and pay 70k for a gt350 I'm scratching my head and saying 526hp feels a little light!...

Stock vs stock, and you are looking at $49.5k MSRP for the base 12 GT500 4 years ago. With inflation that would be about $52k.
A $49.9k car that will put up the same 1320 times and destroy it in everything looks like a steal.
Yes my local dealer was asking $7.5k market on the 12 GT500.
Yes people have already ordered GT350R at MSRP. So much for that argument.:poke:

Last edited:

krt22

Established Member
Come on bro, just drop 35k on a GTPP, add 21k for the roush package (although it has 670hp, not 775) and mop up that weak ass 526HP GT350 all day long! You even get 20s with it instead of those tiny 19s

Users who are viewing this thread