GT500 Fuel Pumps

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
From the first pdf file Van linked...

ScreenHunter_01Feb010841.gif

What?

Your reply....this is all I could think of.

Chris - Family Guy

on the soundboard, click "Whaaaat"

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

That is a Return Style Fuel System Pump and designed for use in a different fuel hat.

The pumps are either "Real" Ford GT pumps (Returnless) or the Walbro GS341 (Return Style) Most likley it is the Walbro GS341 Rotary style pump. Ford Racing decided to save money and use these pumps in a 2010 Shelby Whipple Kit. 2010 offers several strategy changes that 07-09 does not offer. One being the ability to ramp alternator voltage to around 16 volts for short 15-20 second spurts. (as mentioned previously) Ford put these pumps into that year (2010) for the Whipple Kit. Then someone thought it would be great to sell them for all Shelbys. The GS341 pump flows 255 LPH and is an awesome pump when used in the right system. The pump likes 12.5 to 14volts all the time..... Return style pumps cool themselves with the fuel and the fuel being held at a constant speed. Since Shelbys are returnless fuel systems there is no return line. The FPDM (Fuel Pump Drive Module) modulates voltage through PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) features and lowers (spools down) the voltage as low as 5 volts so the fuel drains back into the tank.

Return Style pumps don't like operating in that low 5-9 volt range. Where is your car operating most of the time? Lower Voltage. Will the pumps survive... Yes they may live forever we have seen 03-04 Cobras try to use this exact pump in a RTLS system and fail after about 3500 miles. Because the pumps overheat at the lower voltage. Returnless pumps are designed to handle the voltage changes. BAPs work thru the FPDM ramping the voltage of the Stock RTLS pumps to 18-19vs for short spurts to increase pump capacity hence they work much better and it is fully tunable.

I am not trying sell you a Boost A Pump. I'm simply trying to give you facts and evidence that we've experienced. I also don't want to see you waste time or do something to your fuel system that could harm it. Thus the reason why I chimed in here. I hope the information helps. A BAP can be wired in about two hours. Good luck with what ever you decide. :beer:

Or the Lethal PDF's!!!

Thanks for the follow up Proto.

There have been know pauls HP pumps fail on 07-09 an 2011 gt500 still running returnless style. As van stated they burn out. Some were burning out with around 1500miles on the pumps.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Proto said:
Showing it's age. True several years ago.

Except on the very same page, just above the section I linked previously, is this...

ScreenHunter_02Feb011838.gif

Seems KB needs to update the entire pdf.

me32 said:
There have been know pauls HP pumps fail on 07-09 an 2011 gt500 still running returnless style. As van stated they burn out. Some were burning out with around 1500miles on the pumps.
Got a link that describes one of the Paul's pumps failing?

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Except on the very same page, just above the section I linked previously, is this...

They will be updating them soon. Spoke to Jim Bell extensively a week ago and they were testing all sorts of fuel pumps. Including the new Walboro and Aeromotive Pumps.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

no, because it was not on the web. it was cars i actually seen. the 2011 actually had bought the the FRPP whipple kit. an had it installed. couple months later car was was running out of fuel up top. come to find out one of fuel pumps went bad. they just werent made to run on the Low volt when cruising. i dont blame Pauls HP for it. i just dont think there was enough research done on it for the 07-2012 GT500s.

on my setup i was lucky an they didn't go out. but i also was running a BAP. which may have help. but I could see on some of my data logs at low RPM an speeds the fuel pumps were not acting right like my stock ones where. so i didnt like that an went to a return style with a regulator an had the pauls HP Hat tap for a Return line. also still using the BAP an both FPDM. car ran better after that too.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
They will be updating them soon. Spoke to Jim Bell extensively a week ago and they were testing all sorts of fuel pumps. Including the new Walboro and Aeromotive Pumps.

i like to see some real data on those. the new Aeromotive are suppose to be able to run on both Return an returnless style fuel pumps.i actually tried the 340lph. they didnt seem to be any better than the Walbo 310lph(pauls HP rating) on my car in terms of giving more fuel. there was nothing bad about them either. so i just went return style an kept the Walbo 310LPH(pauls HP rating).

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So what needs to be done to drop in Ford GT pumps?

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
good question i would like to know aswell. an cant wait to get some real flow data on them compared to the GT500 pumps

c6e4dd84-98a5-6a95.jpg

Take a look at the top 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Van@RevanRacing

How about Forg GT fuel pumps ? does it fit directly ? Or need some modifcations ??
How about Aeromotive 340 LPH ... It is mentioned ( Direct replacment )

Aeromotive 340 Stealth Electric Fuel Pump [11142] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

I don't want BAP and the wiring headache Alsom my mods are bolts on, upper and ower pulleys.
Thanks all

You might want to take this thread into consideration............

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/distillery-374/819079-dead-aeromotive-pump.html

Van

rdsnk46

Established Member
If you find that the 17 volt BAP isn't enough, KB also makes a 20 volt Competition BAP. It supported almost 900 RWHP and TQ. That's almost 1100 HP at the flywheel. I belive it's the only part I have left in my GT500 part-out.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So what do I need to do to put the Ford GT pumps in?

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yes, they are and I have the Zone 5 already. I'm just looking for a little more flow and I picked every thing up new but second hand and cheap. Same deal with the 72lb injectors and Fore fuel rails.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Yes, they are and I have the Zone 5 already. I'm just looking for a little more flow and I picked every thing up new but second hand and cheap. Same deal with the 72lb injectors and fuel rails.

Should be a direct replacement from what I have been told. Never made the swap myself because of the little gain in flow volume. Good luck. Take some pics and let us know what you find.

Van

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Power by the hour will be doing it all :). Beyond my skill level.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'll shoot you a PM but yes on the tune. Still need to buy a radiator and roll bar so I can it all done at once. Lots of stuff sitting the garage and I think I am done with all of the powdercoating.

Users who are viewing this thread