GT500 poll

What do you think about the GT500 overall? (Price, looks, performance)

• Love it! Badass car! Worth every penny!

Votes: 70 20.6%
  • It's a nice ride!

Votes: 118 34.7%
  • It's just okay

Votes: 72 21.2%
  • I don't like it/dissapointed

Votes: 40 11.8%
  • Ford screwed up big time!/Don't get me started!

Votes: 40 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Ford phucked up this car really bad.

Side strips- every v6 has them, says MUSTANG, same style as the GT500.
Top strips- hardly a day goes by when I dont see a v6 or GT with dual strips for some unknown reason. Now people selling body kits and emblems to make it look like at Gt500. That sure makes it exclusive, but hey what do yo expect for another $15,000 over a loaded GT? :loser:

Thanks Ford for tossing SVT under the bus.. I have to agree with the C&D article in (june?) which pointed out it takes several years to get an in house performance brand built up with a good rep and wondering why in the world SVT would kill what is/was an established brand with a good rep.

In any event, the GT500 is a lot less desirable for me now, I have no problem waiting a couple months to see how the new drivetrain sorts out and what you can/can't do with the car to make up for it.

jman345

Banned
OCCOBRA said:
I will keep my 2003 Cobra. The 500 is to heavy and slow for the extra price of 6k more than i paid new. It is as fast as mine stock. It does not make sense. The new M5 has a little more weight (100 pounds) and is doing a mid 12 pass. Not that i am a fan of BMW but this Car should be in this territory stock and it is not. I am very disappointed as i was thinking of upgrading. I will keep mine and with a little modding i will be way ahead then spending that type of money. The 500 needs a diet, better traction and higher rear end Ratio (322 vs 355 of the 03) no wonder it is lagging. I think Ford put all this power but did not set it up to put it to the ground.

If you think your 03 cobra can do a 12.2 at 117 stock then keep dreaming there buddy and i havent seen a M5 get a 12.2 stock.

jman345

Banned
Hey what movie was that on betterthanu i want to rent it cause thats pretty funny dont you think one of my friends told me that.

redsvtcobra

Established Member
jman345 said:
If you think your 03 cobra can do a 12.2 at 117 stock then keep dreaming there buddy and i havent seen a M5 get a 12.2 stock.

The GT500 isn't doing 12.2 stock either.

2814v

Established Member
All the lovers and the haters need to step away from the key board and lighten up. Not everyone is going to like the GT500, there is not one car or anything else everyone likes. But the car is'nt the huge ford blunder some like to say it is. I am sure that when the production car hits the streets it will stock for stock mod for mod out perform my 03 cobra. But its also not the end all mustang we were hoping for, ford cut some corners and it show's.
So, if you like it and are going to buy it, good for you. You will have a very nice hotrod and turn heads. If you like it but not enough to spend $43000 to $50000, thats cool too. You can put me in this group. If you hate it and have nothing good to say about it, I think everyone has heard you ITS TOO HEAVY we know.

jman345

Banned
redsvtcobra said:
The GT500 isn't doing 12.2 stock either.

Have you not read where it says Aug issue 12.2 where the GT500 goes 12.2 at 117 stock and with gears 11s on stock tires? Please get with the program no 03 cobra has a chance with the GT500 face it im tired of repeating myself about what a GT500 can do stock.

redsvtcobra

Established Member
That is with Evan Smith behind the wheel. The average daily joe isn't making that car do a 12.2 stock.

I mean it if people quit saying dumb stuff like my terminator can keep up with a shelby what a bunch of morons on this site.

Are you sure about that? A Terminator cannot even just keep up? Running a 12.2 for a lot of Terminators on this board would be a very slow run indeed.

Last edited:

Badasp5.0

Established Member
I think its bad ass...I guess im not hating on it cuz my cobra was viewed the same way as the GT500 vs '03-'04 Cobras when it was new...Too heavy, not as good looking as previous model, not a good value for performance ETC....

I say it rocks and i would love to have one.......
(I cant wait to be told im stupid for not wanting a E55 or C6 or something else....LOL)

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Very interesting results.

About 50% of the people really like it and the other 50% think it is just "okay" or are "dissapointed".

This may change as we learn more about the car, but that is certainly not what Ford was hoping for. Then again, they weren't completely targeting the performance enthusiasts as many of these cars will be bought by the "babyboomers" and never see a race track. There should be a good used market for these cars after a few years.

TO_04Cobra

Established Member
"It's a Nice Ride." - I like the look and 500hp + potential; however I would not pay msrp. The price will drop. After 12-18 mnths the price may be right. I paid approx $27K US for my 04 Coupe - I got what I wanted = an inexpensive domestic fun car that had a strong engine to play with...

Awesome Car = Porsche 997 GT3: 0-60 4.0; 1/4 12.0 tested... plus it will eat a road course all day - now that is a car...

jman345

Banned
redsvtcobra said:
That is with Evan Smith behind the wheel. The average daily joe isn't making that car do a 12.2 stock.

Are you sure about that? A Terminator cannot even just keep up? Running a 12.2 for a lot of Terminators on this board would be a very slow run indeed.

Im postive a terminator wont keep up with a shelby stock for stock i am positive it will get beat bad real bad by a shelby stock. And there has never been an average joe get a terminator to a 12.2 stock.

jman345

Banned
Formula51 said:
Very interesting results.

About 50% of the people really like it and the other 50% think it is just "okay" or are "dissapointed".

This may change as we learn more about the car, but that is certainly not what Ford was hoping for. Then again, they weren't completely targeting the performance enthusiasts as many of these cars will be bought by the "babyboomers" and never see a race track. There should be a good used market for these cars after a few years.

Whats funny is i bet no one in this forum has even seen the shelby in person but yet says its just ok you guys are a trip. lol

jman345

Banned
Ry_Trapp0 said:
and your average daily joe isnt making a terminator do a 12.4 stock, either.

From what redsvtcobra is saying there is you guys crack me up and i dont know what im talking about how funny. :lol1:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
TO_04Cobra said:
Awesome Car = Porsche 997 GT3: 0-60 4.0; 1/4 12.0 tested... plus it will eat a road course all day - now that is a car...
damn, what mag are those from??? motor trend got a 3.7 with it(not quarter though). that thing is just plain bad ass and looks it too. then again, it better for $106,795.

now THAT is something i would like to see evan smith take down the quarter :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread