Have you had Transmission Issues?

Please answer with as many responses as apply to you.

• I have experienced gear grinding (any gear)

Votes: 72 32.0%
  • I have experienced gear lockout (any gear)

Votes: 59 26.2%
  • I have experienced other trans-related issues (please explain)

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • Ford has replaced parts to address issues

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Ford has replaced/rebuilt my transmission to address issues

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • I have installed aftermarket parts to address issues

Votes: 55 24.4%
  • I have not experienced any transmission issues

Votes: 96 42.7%

• Total voters

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
Once tune the peddle would stick to the floor and would lock out of 3rd. Changed the shifter to a MGW and installed a JHR SS clutch line. Once these chafes were made 2nd to 3rd shifts are effortless. But the more the car sees the track the more notchy crunchy the trans feels. I do believe this is more related to the clutch than the trans as the clutch takes some good abuse trying to get street tires to hook. If I keep this car the clutch will be the next thing I ditch.
On another note most ppl with similar mods as me told me to shift @ 6800-7000 rpm at the track. The best I could get was a 13.1 @ 109. On the last pass I hit 4th @ 6400-6500 and picked up 2 mph. 109 to 111. On the next pass I was going to shift all gears at 6400-6500 but the rear end blew a pinion seal coming off the line and emptied the rear end.
My dyno charts show power still climbing at 6800 but TQ starts falling off at 4600

PACETTR

Established Member
I think a big problem with these cars is a lot of people need to work on there shifting skills. I have a few people who constantly grip about being locked out on shifts, yet ive driven the cars and hit them perfect every time. Some people may not like to admit it, instead they blame the car for their lack of driving skill. In the 8,600 miles on my car, i can't say ive ever been locked or missed a gear once and everything is stock from the clutch line, to the fluid, shifter, and bracket. Other than that, a lot of people forget to realize these cars have torque management with stability and traction control. What may seem like a gear lock out, is really a power cut by the pcm, typically found in hard 4th gear shifts. Shifting at too high of a RPM than the clutch is designed for or at stock reline will also produce gear lockout some times. Very easy test, shift at 6500 and see if your problem goes away.

My shifting skills are fine personally.

2013 Laguna Seca
5k miles
1-2 and 2-3 synchros not cooperating
New trans from Ford currently being shipped

I'm putting in an RXT and clutch line while the trans is out. Hopefully it will hold up better.

c. love

Established Member
Personally no issues. I actually purchased my car with a brand new trans installed. 7,000 mi on the new trans and no nothing. I think the case more often than not is people shifting like dick bags because they think its the fast way to shift, it may save .001 of a second but power shifting makes tranny soup no matter what car you have. People expect so much from a stock trans its ridiculous.

I will say however redline fluids are fantastic. My old car type was suppose to have shitty trannies too. 8 years of heavy heavy abuse with higher HP always used redline fluids NEVER had an issue.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
Personally no issues. I actually purchased my car with a brand new trans installed. 7,000 mi on the new trans and no nothing. I think the case more often than not is people shifting like dick bags because they think its the fast way to shift, it may save .001 of a second but power shifting makes tranny soup no matter what car you have. People expect so much from a stock trans its ridiculous.

I will say however redline fluids are fantastic. My old car type was suppose to have shitty trannies too. 8 years of heavy heavy abuse with higher HP always used redline fluids NEVER had an issue.

This is another ignorant post from someone who is lucky to have a good mt82.
I am on my second trans first lasted 2200 miles. I had every single shifting issue with the 1st one, lock outs, clutch sticking to floor, ect. finally it got stuck in third gear, ford replaced with a new unit. This one shifts like butter, I went to the track and it was perfect. night and day.
It was super frustrating having a brand new car with a shit transmission. It was more frustrating reading all the ignorant posts by people claiming it is all driver error. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of driver error out there, but there is also a ton of bad mt82's as well.

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
this is another ignorant post from someone who is lucky to have a good mt82.
I am on my second trans first lasted 2200 miles. I had every single shifting issue with the 1st one, lock outs, clutch sticking to floor, ect. Finally it got stuck in third gear, ford replaced with a new unit. This one shifts like butter, i went to the track and it was perfect. Night and day.
It was super frustrating having a brand new car with a shit transmission. It was more frustrating reading all the ignorant posts by people claiming it is all driver error. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of driver error out there, but there is also a ton of bad mt82's as well.

+1

c. love

Established Member
This is another ignorant post from someone who is lucky to have a good mt82.
I am on my second trans first lasted 2200 miles. I had every single shifting issue with the 1st one, lock outs, clutch sticking to floor, ect. finally it got stuck in third gear, ford replaced with a new unit. This one shifts like butter, I went to the track and it was perfect. night and day.

If you would have read you would have noticed where I say more often than not. Sure there are some that are bad, sure the trannys might be weak, but there are ALOT of people that cant ****en drive and on top of that expect these cars to take gas pedal to the floor shifting.

So before you start calling names perhaps ****en read

Justin81

Established Member
300 miles on my '13. Jumped on it from 1st, 2nd and into 3rd. FAIL! 3rd didn't show up. Shifter felt like a limp wiener. I thought it was gonna be bent 45* after the smoke cleared.

The more of this crap I read the more I wonder what i'm gonna do now. I don't mind putting a new shifter in. But i'm not putting a clutch, lines, fluid, etc....

Now i'm also afraid to do anything to the car Ie. tune, because i'm afraid this thing's gonna have it's day at the dealer. I had high hopes and big plans for the car but I can see myself trading it in sooner than I thought. I'd consider an Automatic I suppose or maybe I can manage a '10 - '13 GT500.

460cidpower

Established Member
300 miles on my '13. Jumped on it from 1st, 2nd and into 3rd. FAIL! 3rd didn't show up. Shifter felt like a limp wiener. I thought it was gonna be bent 45* after the smoke cleared.

The more of this crap I read the more I wonder what i'm gonna do now. I don't mind putting a new shifter in. But i'm not putting a clutch, lines, fluid, etc....

Now i'm also afraid to do anything to the car Ie. tune, because i'm afraid this thing's gonna have it's day at the dealer. I had high hopes and big plans for the car but I can see myself trading it in sooner than I thought. I'd consider an Automatic I suppose or maybe I can manage a '10 - '13 GT500.

If you don't want to pay to play, you have to decide. :coolman:

I bought a '13 myself, it grinds 5th when cold. It's locked out multiple gears, had stuck pedal multiple times, etc.

I bought the car knowing it would have these issues, so when I bought it, I started putting money aside for a Magnum XL replacement.

Every car has it's weak point, with these it just happens to be the transmission. The $5k a transmission swap will cost to me plus what I paid for the car is still cheaper than a Camaro or Charger.

Lol there's a reason why they are modifying the MT82 for the '15s. If it was perfect as is now, they would be leaving it alone :p

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member

You likely just need more seat time. This trans is not like the sloppy old Tremec's. This has very close gates and any side pressure loading while shifting can cause a lock out. Furthermore, the trans hasn't even fully broken in yet, so its going to be even tighter. Arm and seat position go a long way with shifting, more so these cars. Take it how you want, but a lot of guys on here have improved shifting greatly just by changing those simple habits.

If you don't want to pay to play, you have to decide. :coolman:

I bought a '13 myself, it grinds 5th when cold. It's locked out multiple gears, had stuck pedal multiple times, etc.

I bought the car knowing it would have these issues, so when I bought it, I started putting money aside for a Magnum XL replacement.

Every car has it's weak point, with these it just happens to be the transmission. The $5k a transmission swap will cost to me plus what I paid for the car is still cheaper than a Camaro or Charger.

Lol there's a reason why they are modifying the MT82 for the '15s. If it was perfect as is now, they would be leaving it alone :p

I wouldn't say they are modifying the MT82 because it sucks, they modified everything including the coyote motor itself with changes for '15. The biggest problem will find is going to be only cured with an aftermarket clutch that can reliably take high RPM shifting. The stock clutch was designed for comfort of DD and not designed to be shifted above stock redline.

And on that, i still love my MT82.

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
Nothing serious on mine. Just some whine noticeable at slower speeds, and hard to get in gear when it's cold outside. Only mod to trans is MGW short throw. I had a friend that works at a Ford dealer ask their techs and he said not much I could do about either. So I guess I'll roll till there's a serious issue.

01bluesnake

Established Member
While i will say a whine noise is not normal, with an aftermarket shifter it can be within reason. Some early MT82's did have input bearing failures which produced this noise. The aftermarket shifter allow the trans noise to be amplified through tighter clearance, harder compounds and metals vs the stock unit. While they work great to improve shifting they can negatively affect drive quality. This is not only for the MT82, but pretty much any trans with an aftermarket shifter. The T45/3650 was notorious for this, T56 only slightly better. What year is your car? Ford changed over to a thinner fluid for cold shift concerns around mid '12. I had the new stuff in mine and worked fine, but went over to Amsoil Synchromesh just to get the stock stuff out.

Last edited:

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
Mine is an early 11 with 43k on it. I've only had the car about three weeks now, and I was aware of the whine before the purchase, and the previous owner did say that it got louder when he switched to the MGW. As far as the shifting when cold it just doesn't seem to want to go into gear, and once it's warm there are no issues? 01bluesnake- when you swapped to the amsoil was there a noticeable difference? How much fluid did it take to do the swap?

01bluesnake

Established Member
You likely have a input bearing starting to go, but if very faint nowhere near serious more so with the shifter making it louder than it is. I ran the stock fluid all the way up to the end of last year, with only making a few passes and maybe a couple hundred miles with Amsoil. Ill notice it more this year with the warmer weather, but cold shift habit feels maybe a tad better, mind you i have a late '12 which had the thin Ford fluid unlike yours. It takes just under 3 quarts of fluid.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
The only thing my MT82 does is whine like a little bitch when I accelerate easily. I really do not understand all these MT82 complaints.

01bluesnake

Established Member
The biggest issue was input bearing failures, poor shifting when cold(fluid TSB), and clutch pedal stick/lockout (weak factory clutch plate). A lot of things can happen besides those, but can actually be created by them as well. I almost wondered if the thick factory fluid on the 11's and early '12's created issues having tight tolerance/preload on the bearings causing many premature failures.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I have an early model 12' and just recently changed my stock fluid out for AMS oil. No doubt the ams oil is better but the stock fluid was not bad at all. Mine is notchy when cold but that's normal, in my opinion. The gears need to warm up before they get better.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Agreed, you will always have some more resistance when cold vs warmed up. Things aren't designed around cold temps to work perfect, they are designed around operating temps instead so may exhibit some flaws when not there.

mystickb1996

Established Member
I'd like to hear owners opinions that own 11-12 vs 13-14s . I have a 14 and other then it being hard to shift because of the tight gates I have no other issues. The 2-3 shift is the hardest by far at wot and has cause many aborted runs at the strip, not cool but hope the Barton 2 post helps this a little

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
i owned a 12 and a 13 now and i can tell you its the same shit

but when i replaced my MT fluid and removed the helper spring it made it awesome

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Had a 3rd gear lock out awhile racing a viper once, but have gotten use to the transmission and it shifts OK once warmed up. But I never shift hard or rev out this car until the engine is at operating temperature, probably has something to do with my positive experience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread