Have you had Transmission Issues?

Please answer with as many responses as apply to you.

• I have experienced gear grinding (any gear)

Votes: 72 32.0%
  • I have experienced gear lockout (any gear)

Votes: 59 26.2%
  • I have experienced other trans-related issues (please explain)

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • Ford has replaced parts to address issues

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Ford has replaced/rebuilt my transmission to address issues

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • I have installed aftermarket parts to address issues

Votes: 55 24.4%
  • I have not experienced any transmission issues

Votes: 96 42.7%

• Total voters

ViciousJay

Established Member
i get a 5th grind every morning till warm, and ive gotten locked out a few times in a high rpms but nothing to make me scared of this transmission. Its light years ahead of the T56 that we got int he cobra and to say otherwise is just down right lying to themselves

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
i get a 5th grind every morning till warm, and ive gotten locked out a few times in a high rpms but nothing to make me scared of this transmission. Its light years ahead of the T56 that we got int he cobra and to say otherwise is just down right lying to themselves

ditto on 5th gear grind when it's cold. 3rd gear did it too but redline mtl abated that. if I have the front lifted for an extended period of time, I'll get 5th gear grind as well. happy other wise.

Chaney5.0

I love when 3rd gear locks me out. It always leaves me speechless to how SHIT these Fords have become.

Shit I am running 35+k miles on my twinned ls3 c6 with no other mods other than a slightly built motor to handle the boost. Trans has held up FLAWLESS, Rear end, Drive Shaft, and axles etc. Shit even the stock rubbers have held up pretty good.

Fun to have the motor, but it doesn't do shit when a damn Boat R/T Wakes on by me with less power and double the weight because 3rd gear doesn't want to give it's ass up to me.

Whine, and weird clutch engagement. 2400 miles on it. Fun fun fun fun. Safe to say this car will be turbo'ed until it blows the ass end out of it, put back to stock. Limped to the dealer, and traded in on something else. Sorry for the poor shit who gets it after me.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I think a big problem with these cars is a lot of people need to work on there shifting skills. I have a few people who constantly grip about being locked out on shifts, yet ive driven the cars and hit them perfect every time. Some people may not like to admit it, instead they blame the car for their lack of driving skill. In the 8,600 miles on my car, i can't say ive ever been locked or missed a gear once and everything is stock from the clutch line, to the fluid, shifter, and bracket. Other than that, a lot of people forget to realize these cars have torque management with stability and traction control. What may seem like a gear lock out, is really a power cut by the pcm, typically found in hard 4th gear shifts. Shifting at too high of a RPM than the clutch is designed for or at stock reline will also produce gear lockout some times. Very easy test, shift at 6500 and see if your problem goes away.

Last edited:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I've been locked out of 3rd several times since I put the tune on it and started shifting higher. New shifter bracket should be here any day which will hopefully fix it.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I've been locked out of 3rd several times since I put the tune on it and started shifting higher. New shifter bracket should be here any day which will hopefully fix it.

If your shifting higher than the stock redline, you will be locked out more often due to the clutch not being designed for that RPM. A lot of people who tend to shift at redline also get locked out due to this, and is pointless anyways to shift that high as the cars don't make power after 6600.

Here's a graph showing what i'm talking about. If you shift at 67-6800, you have a lot less likely chance of getting locked out. When i had my car on the dyno and raised the redline to 7300(for boss mani), the clutch pedal almost always stuck to the floor which would be a gear lockout. I already figured that would happen though with the stock clutch

StockintakestockCAI_zps0cb26fbe.png

Last edited:

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
I am on my 2nd '11 GT. Both M6 cars.

1st had a steeda tri-ax and barton bracket and never had any issues always was great to me. 2nd is currently still stock trans and also no problems at all. I think 5th ground like once and 2nd was a a little stiff in very cold weather but no actual issues to speak of on either car. Maybe I am just lucky.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I am on my 2nd '11 GT. Both M6 cars.

1st had a steeda tri-ax and barton bracket and never had any issues always was great to me. 2nd is currently still stock trans and also no problems at all. I think 5th ground like once and 2nd was a a little stiff in very cold weather but no actual issues to speak of on either car. Maybe I am just lucky.

The '11's got a fluid that was a little thicker, which there is a TSB for. Ford changed up to what they call dual clutch fluid, which is suppose to be a little thinner and easier on cold shifting. A lot of guys change out to Amsoil for the trans, some prefer MTG, some MTF depending on weather climates.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
Strangely I've had grind in 3rd a couple times. A little concerning since I'm about to void my warranty.

Chaney5.0

I think a big problem with these cars is a lot of people need to work on there shifting skills. I have a few people who constantly grip about being locked out on shifts, yet ive driven the cars and hit them perfect every time. Some people may not like to admit it, instead they blame the car for their lack of driving skill. In the 8,600 miles on my car, i can't say ive ever been locked or missed a gear once and everything is stock from the clutch line, to the fluid, shifter, and bracket. Other than that, a lot of people forget to realize these cars have torque management with stability and traction control. What may seem like a gear lock out, is really a power cut by the pcm, typically found in hard 4th gear shifts. Shifting at too high of a RPM than the clutch is designed for or at stock reline will also produce gear lockout some times. Very easy test, shift at 6500 and see if your problem goes away.

I do see your statement and thought process.

How ever never shifting over 6500 myself third gear gets locked out SEVERAL times.

This is not a power cut, as my foot being all the way on the gas I bounce right off the rev limiter seconds after almost sounding like I went from 2-1 power shifting and not hitting 3rd. Which is not only embarrassing but annoying at the time time.

I bounce back and forth between my turbo c6 and this stang every weekend. NEVER have I been locked out of gear in my c6 or had a single problem with it's now over 750hp DD pump gas tune.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I do see your statement and thought process.

How ever never shifting over 6500 myself third gear gets locked out SEVERAL times.

This is not a power cut, as my foot being all the way on the gas I bounce right off the rev limiter seconds after almost sounding like I went from 2-1 power shifting and not hitting 3rd. Which is not only embarrassing but annoying at the time time.

I bounce back and forth between my turbo c6 and this stang every weekend. NEVER have I been locked out of gear in my c6 or had a single problem with it's now over 750hp DD pump gas tune.

no, i didnt think yours was power cut, was just listing a few things that have contributed to some peoples problems with the car and shifting. As said below, the trans in the vet is very different from the MT82. Coming from a background of driving Tremec transmissions, it took me a little time to get use to shifting the MT82 and the close gate it has out of the factory. The MT82 isnt as forgiving if you don't hit the gears just right because internal clearances are very tight from what i believe. Also the same reason they start to whine and bearings take a dump from being too tight in spec.

Last edited:

macbar13

Established Member
10,000 miles stock motor/trans. Shifts great! Yes, its a little clunky when freezing cold, no biggie. Like butter when warm. I have no plans to upgrade shifter at this time.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
My MT-82 whines a bit in the lower gears, sounds like a supercharger. But it shifts fine.

As for the comparison with the corvettes transmission. My stock 2006 corvette after 25K miles would not go into 1st gear at a stop without shifting the car into 2nd gear first. And apprarently (at least at the time), the only fix was a rebuilt or new transmission.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
6500 miles, driven hard since day one. No lockout issues or grinding to report as of yet. Also have shifted the tranny at 7800+ RPM on more than one occasion and went into the next gear smooth as butter.

I'm also coming from a t-56 in my cobra, which was a real PIA to get to shift smooth.

chuckstang

Established Member
6500 miles, driven hard since day one. No lockout issues or grinding to report as of yet. Also have shifted the tranny at 7800+ RPM on more than one occasion and went into the next gear smooth as butter.

I'm also coming from a t-56 in my cobra, which was a real PIA to get to shift smooth.

7800rpms? wow, didnt know the stock motors were good for that, I thought that was for the road runners only

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Almost 13k miles on mine. Stock fluid. With a barton shifter amd bracket and ss clutch line. The car shifts perfect. Alot better then some of the older manual cars ive driven.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread