Horsepower numbers????

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
I'm super disappointed. I was fully anticipating 450 hp. I know it's only another 15 hp, but at least with 450, its a stable mark in the muscle car run here. Look for chevy to add more hp. Ford will be at the bottom of the test reviews come 2015 comparisons. I may need to drive one to truly feel the difference in the entire package. My fear is a 2014 with a cold air and tune will out run it, so what's the point.

Voltwings

Established Member
Why? Why is it so hard for people to do basic math and have reasonable expectations? Ford said they are not raising the factory redline from 6700 rpms. Horsepower = (torque x rpms)/5252. So, to make its 420 hp at 6700 rpm, the engine is producing 329 torque. To not raise the redline and make 450 + hp the engine would need to be making at least 353 torques at the same RPM WITH factory air box, Factory cats... Its just not Feasible. People came up with these outlandish claims of 475 + hp, and are now suddenly disappointed they don't meet them? Just seems a little silly.

G-Mann

Established Member
Once again no wow factor but solid numbers. This does not entice me to buy one but if I were in the market this would be my choice. I think it does just enough to handily win its class for the next 2 years until the new camaro launches. This will be a two year run and the summer of 2016 the 2017 model will roll out to rain on the new camaro's parade with a HP bump.

I like the direction things are going, two years from now will be a great time to be in the market.

rrg9946

Established Member
Listen everyone. This is not that hard to understand. The car has better cams (with higher lift and duration). Bigger valves, higher flowing heads, better intake, and stiffer springs. That all translates to a car that is designed for higher rpms that the outgoing model. If the rpms are limited to,the same number as last year, it should raise a red flag that there is a ton left on the table for tuning. Just raising the rpm limit alone will pay off. Its simple engineering. These cars are designed with after market possibilities in mind. Ford knows that most mustang owners are not satisfied with out of the box. They are listening you guys are just not paying attention.

nicksender

Established Member
Listen everyone. This is not that hard to understand. The car has better cams (with higher lift and duration). Bigger valves, higher flowing heads, better intake, and stiffer springs. That all translates to a car that is designed for higher rpms that the outgoing model. If the rpms are limited to,the same number as last year, it should raise a red flag that there is a ton left on the table for tuning. Just raising the rpm limit alone will pay off. Its simple engineering. These cars are designed with after market possibilities in mind. Ford knows that most mustang owners are not satisfied with out of the box. They are listening you guys are just not paying attention.

I am glad they upgraded a bunch of the internals even if the HP/TQ didn't go up much. I plan on supercharging when I get a GT next year and will feel better than I would bolting one onto the current GT.

I also hope the mention of upgrades to the MT-82 will finally put to bed the issues on the existing GT.

I wonder if I would still have to upgrade the oil pump gears or not?

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Eh....very marginal performance increase for the straight-line junkies (HP to weight is only very slightly increased over last year, and will likely have the same gearing). No doubt the upgraded suspension will really help those that lean toward the handling side of things.

Not enough for me to part with my money or my current ride. Will continue to wait....

kino

Established Member
Eh....very marginal performance increase for the straight-line junkies (HP to weight is only very slightly increased over last year, and will likely have the same gearing). No doubt the upgraded suspension will really help those that lean toward the handling side of things.

Not enough for me to part with my money or my current ride. Will continue to wait....

I feel the same way. Performance wise I see a boss with irs. Not bad but the mustang is not competing against a 2 year run mustang. I said earlier I surely hope that this car is severely underrated and outperforms the specs because the next camaro is right around the corner.

tbi0904

Established Member
I feel the same way. Performance wise I see a boss with irs. Not bad but the mustang is not competing against a 2 year run mustang. I said earlier I surely hope that this car is severely underrated and outperforms the specs because the next camaro is right around the corner.

Ah yes, the mythical 3400 lb 4 seat Corvette that shoots rainbows from its exhaust pipes. Since when did everyone become so obsessed with peak horsepower from the factory anyway? The 15 has more torque that a Boss and has a much more sophisticated suspension and is lower and wider with a beefed up tranny. I also bet that a tune and CAI will wake the car up a lot.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Let's all remember too that the current 14 Mustang GT has no competition acceleration wise now. So Ford saw no need to up the ante just yet. IMO they have the ablity to up the rpm and make more power as needed. Think 05-10 GT when Ford thought they owned the market, until the Camaro came out. So they upped the power as needed big time. Obviously they don't have 100hp in reserve, but they might have enough to save for later..... If they need it. Just a thought.
They set it up to make just enough power as to not lose sales.

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
Yes and no. To stay satisfied or stagnant is what causes you to fall behind. With the basic same power to weight ratio we probably won't see any significant change in performance on the 1/4 mile or 0-60 times. Why would the other two not already be aiming at better performance.

To me ford took the easy route on this one. Almost dare I say, very 2010 ish feel. New body but not any significant power train upgrades. And we all know how that went over.

I'm over all disappointed.

blackvette101

Established Member
I feel you guys that expected 450+ really don't know much about engines. Yeah they put better heads and cams but they kept the crappy intake manifold and not only that they further limited flow with charge motion plates along with the low redline anybody that knows engines saw this coming . The whole package has to flow well together to pick up big power not just flow well in the last 4'' before and after the valve. This thing with a cobrajet manifold swap will be dirty and hurt feelings. If the numbers disappoint shell out the cash for a new manifold and raise the redline.

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
+1. Bet this is a low 12 ET and high teen trap speed bone stock.

It's 87 lbs heavier and has 15 horsepower more than the 2014. Why on earth would you expect it to be more than about 1 tenth and 1 mph better? In general, the rule is roughly 10 hp = 1 tenth/1 mph. IRS is better for road racing, but if anything is worse for drag racing. The 10 ft-lb torque increase will be nice for street driving but won't have much impact in a drag race.

Deranged2013

Established Member
The car will have tons of potential. A blower, turbo, or just headers, O/R pipe, intake and tune and this car will be a blast to drive.

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member
It's 87 lbs heavier and has 15 horsepower more than the 2014. Why on earth would you expect it to be more than about 1 tenth and 1 mph better? In general, the rule is roughly 10 hp = 1 tenth/1 mph. IRS is better for road racing, but if anything is worse for drag racing. The 10 ft-lb torque increase will be nice for street driving but won't have much impact in a drag race.
Powerband is more important than peak hp. I believe the assumption is it will have more power under the curve. Although I'd still like to see a dyno. Also they added line lock, which is a good sign Ford put some effort in its 1/4 mile capabilities. Just because it's IRS doesn't mean it can't drag. I can see low 12s stock aswell.

BMR Tech

Drag? IRS?

Hmmm. Our 2010 Camaro with an IRS cuts low 1.3 sixties on a Drag Radial. Just saying.

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
This was released from Ford yesterday. This should be a really promising 2nd Gen 5.0.

No Ford Mustang engine lineup would be complete without a great V8 engine at its core. The 5.0-liter V8 powers into a new generation with a host of upgrades that help it breathe better, especially at higher engine speeds. Many of these changes are derived from lessons learned in developing the special-edition 2012 Mustang Boss 302.

Getting air into the cylinders and exhaust out is key to generating more power and torque from any engine. That has been the focus in the development of this V8, which features:

• Larger intake valves
• Larger exhaust valves
• Revised intake camshafts
• Revised exhaust camshafts
• Stiffer valve springs ensure valves close completely at high rpm
• New cylinder head casting – revised ports provide straighter path to the valves for less restrictive intake and exhaust flow; combustion chamber modifications accommodate larger valves
• Sinter forged connecting rods are lighter and more durable for high-rpm operation
• Redesigned piston tops – deeper cutouts clear the new larger valves
• Rebalanced forged crankshaft to support higher-rpm operation

These upgrades have boosted output of the V8 to 435 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque.

A new intake manifold includes charge motion control valves to partially close off port flow at lower engine speeds. This increases the air charge tumble and swirl for improved air-fuel mixing, resulting in better fuel economy, improved idle stability and lower emissions.

The variable camshaft timing on the intake side now has a greater range of adjustment available thanks to mid-lock phasers. This enables better optimized control of the valve timing over a broader range of engine speeds and loads for improved fuel economy and emissions.

Users who are viewing this thread