Horsepower numbers????

5.0jake

Established Member
+1. Bet this is a low 12 ET and high teen trap speed bone stock.

This is overly optimistic imo. It will be a couple ticks quicker maybe, vs a stock 11-14. If there is additional power under the curve I don't think it will make THAT much of a difference. Time will tell.
The most impressive part to me with the 15 Coyote are the beefier internals.

Deranged2013

Established Member
With better weight distribution and IRS, the car will launch and hook better from a dig. I've ridden in a 480rwhp BMW 135i with y rated street tires. The thing hooked very well and got of the line quick. The new mustang with similar weight distribution and suspension will do just fine. And with 435 factory rated HP, there is plenty of room to improve those number. This will be a great car all around.

Last edited:

13GT5.0

Established Member
Time will tell, the only thing I like about the 2015 are the coyote internals like the guy said...the rest of it does nothing for me. I hope it sells well however.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Also keep in mind, chassis for chassis, this car is lighter than an S197. Handling is going to be insane. If a PP model out runs a Boss, as claimed by Ford....I can't even imagine what the aftermarket will do for this S550....

Ford also chose aluminum for several components, that were not aluminum on the S197.

I think it is cool that on the Automatic option, Ford chose to use a lighter IRS (center section aluminum VS Cast Iron)

I also like how they updated the automatics with stronger internals AND went to a roller bearing. That alone should assist with more power transfer / less parasitic loss.

Not sure if I will play around with the bolt-ons / NA / tune stuff.....but I think it will be awesome if this thing can go 11's with just a tune, on stock tires.

RTD

Established Member
Powerband is more important than peak hp. I believe the assumption is it will have more power under the curve. Although I'd still like to see a dyno. Also they added line lock, which is a good sign Ford put some effort in its 1/4 mile capabilities. Just because it's IRS doesn't mean it can't drag. I can see low 12s stock aswell.

Sorry, but there's no way that a broader torque curve by itself is going to make it pick up half a second and 5 mph in the 1/4 over the 2011-14 models, not going to happen.

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member
Sorry, but there's no way that a broader torque curve by itself is going to make it pick up half a second and 5 mph in the 1/4 over the 2011-14 models, not going to happen.

I didn't mention mph, can't say there will be a big increase there. But the et should be attainable with the power and suspension changes. We shall see tho.

BMR Tech

Correct.

However, if this car can cut a better sixty foot - and has a broader power curve....it is definitely possible.

Our car stock went 2.0 sixties, all day long. If this car can go say, 1.80's....that's 2+ tenths before even getting past the sixty foot mark.

I had a car a few years back that went from a 12.0 to an 11.5....just from gaining 20 peak hp, and 9ft lbs tq. Same sixty foot time.

Again, all bench racing ricer math as I call it. I will be picking mine up and going to straight to the track, from the dealership. If this thread is alive, I will gladly update it. I will also be making a build thread, that should be very technical.

Last edited:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Rofl, well played ford, well played.

2015 introducing all new price tag, 15 horsepower, +100 pounds, and IRS + internals.

I knew there had to be a reason ford released line lock before weight and horsepower....

Steveespo

Established Member
:mj:this is a dam shame.the 50th year should have had at least 450hp.Now i dont believe it will beat a BOSS 302 like they said because the BOSS 302 had closer to 475hp.
Boss motors make 385-400 RWHP stock, SAE, depending on the engine and dyno, GT motors do 365-385 RWHP same conditions. Boss rating of 444 flywheel is pretty close. GT uprating of 420 was more accurate than original 412. 10% driveline loss is pretty accurate with the MT-82/8.8 rear and their synthetic fluids.

Strong 2015 GT motor should make a little more than a "weak" Boss motor, about 390 at the tires.
Can't wait to see dyno and track numbers.
Steve

Last edited:

draxxus131

Established Member
That freaking header design is insane, to me it looks like a debauched of a stepped header! Then again it may not be final design. I believe they are underrating the new GT. Why would you want to upset boss 302 owners, although this is my opinion, I know they are two different cars just looking at the power ratings is all.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
I must say I'm disappointed in hp claims,but i am really interested to see how the new 5.0 performs.

Also Ford could care less about boss 302 owners.Its like when they
Changed the body for 2010 then came out with the 5.0 for 2011,lol. The new Gt will out handle a boss. For ford The boss was track king back in 12-13. No more,now its on to bigger and better.

Last edited:

Lifted07Duramax

Established Member
Sure hp numbers may not be what you all wanted to see but I'd bet there are some good gains between 2500-5000.
I agree with some of the guys on here. Probably a good .3 off 1/4 times which is still damn good. Plus they have to start out low so next year they can bump to 450. To keep selling more

Fast_5.0

Established Member
I expected higher HP/TQ to compensate for the added weight. It may handle better, but it won't be worth justifying a trade-in or buying one.

mgallo13

Established Member
I'm willing to bet it's all part of the 3-5 year marketing plan car companies have these days (in regards to hp/tq). This is a business after all. They will refine and increase power as they see fit throughout it's life cycle. If you start with a higher number ie more maxed out motor it'll be harder to make significant gains. The engineers are leaving room to improve.

Ford Racing and Svt care about the enthusiast buyer. Fact of the matter is the vast majority of buyers are not enthusiasts and to non enthusiasts more is better. Doesn't matter how much more.

Just my two cents.

PeteDinMA

Established Member
We are in a unique window in time to able to buy cars with these kinds of numbers off the showroom floor! When the guys that know what they are doing get their hands on this car, I will bet my left nut we will all be sporting wood for a S550 GT. We all know the current limits of the current Coyote. It will not be the WOW factor the Coyote had in 2010 when it replaced the 4.6 3V tuned for tuned but it will be pretty good I bet. Realize that Ford still needs to play the game with the EPA.

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
"All of the new Mustang GT’s 400 lb-ft of torque arrive before 4300 rpm, with peak power arriving at 6500 rpm, prior to a 7000 rpm redline. Most impressive, though, are the cylinder heads: Ford says the 5,0’s new cast units flow at the same rate as the Boss 302’s CNC pieces. Achieving this took over 100 redesigns of the intake and exhaust ports (Ford tried 4 designs before settling on the original Coyote V8 back in 2011) and a new intake cam design, which has been pinched from the perilous, track-only Cobra Jet."

Voltwings

Established Member
"All of the new Mustang GT’s 400 lb-ft of torque arrive before 4300 rpm, with peak power arriving at 6500 rpm, prior to a 7000 rpm redline. Most impressive, though, are the cylinder heads: Ford says the 5,0’s new cast units flow at the same rate as the Boss 302’s CNC pieces. Achieving this took over 100 redesigns of the intake and exhaust ports (Ford tried 4 designs before settling on the original Coyote V8 back in 2011) and a new intake cam design, which has been pinched from the perilous, track-only Cobra Jet."

**** me, I ought not even bother putting cams in my car then, and just snagging a set of these Factory ones... shit.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
...I figured the GT's hp would be closer to 450 and the ecoboost closer to 330. ...

Well, 435HP is closer to 450HP than 420HP is. :p

:mj:this is a dam shame.the 50th year should have had at least 450hp.Now i dont believe it will beat a BOSS 302 like they said because the BOSS 302 had closer to 475hp.

If you believe that, then why wouldn't you believe that this "new" engine is underrated?

... Why would you want to upset boss 302 owners...

What does Ford care about BOSS 302 owners? They've already spent their money buying the BOSS. If BOSS owners are that sensitive, all they have to do is visit the Ford dealer again for a new GT. Ford is in the business of making new money, not catering to the elitist egos of people who already spent money. If they did that, the Mustang would've been dead a LONG time ago. It's bad enough they kept the solid axle for so long just to please drag racers and misers.

Users who are viewing this thread