Horsepower numbers????

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Anyone who thinks the S550 isn't going to be wiping the floor with S197s is an idiot. Basically a Roadrunner but with better cams and freer flowing heads = 500+ RWHP bolt on cars.

As a Boss owner I'm not mad at all. I'll be in a GT350

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Anyone who thinks the S550 isn't going to be wiping the floor with S197s is an idiot. Basically a Roadrunner but with better cams and freer flowing heads = 500+ RWHP bolt on cars.

Unless they're "bolting on" a supercharger or turbo, I don't see that happening.

Voltwings

Established Member
Unless they're "bolting on" a supercharger or turbo, I don't see that happening.

Look up any car with a Cobrajet set up and cams now... Even on GT heads they're putting down 490-500, and most guys on Boss heads are over 500. I think its very doable based on the supposed head and cam specs. We're not talking intake / x-pipe / bama tune here, we're talking fully bolted and done up, but still very doable all motor.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Look up any car with a Cobrajet set up and cams now... Even on GT heads they're putting down 490-500, and most guys on Boss heads are over 500. I think its very doable based on the supposed head and cam specs. We're not talking intake / x-pipe / bama tune here, we're talking fully bolted and done up, but still very doable all motor.

Yup. Go spend some time in the Boss section or over on the BMO forums. Several guys over 500 at the wheels.

I'm thinking we'll see full bolt on cars running e85 hitting 520 RWHP

This new car is going to break a lot of hearts. I'm excited!

Last edited:

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
The biggest gains will be from a higher rpm intake and a tune to raise the rev limited abit.
Peak hp drops off at 6500 because of the new intake most likely. Something higher RPM friendly with a bigger throttle body would get alot out of the factory combo.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

I'm not saying a "done up" engine can't do it. But a "done up" engine and a bolt-on engine are not the same thing. Once you start opening up the engine, you're beyond bolt-ons. This isn't LSx land. Cams and heads aren't considered bolt-ons around here.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Bolt ons will do it, it will just take a few more of them than a mid-pipe, CAI and tune.

IM, TB, CAI, LTs, possibly injectors depending on how big the stock ones are and a good tune and people will be seeing 500+

rrg9946

Established Member
I'm not saying a "done up" engine can't do it. But a "done up" engine and a bolt-on engine are not the same thing. Once you start opening up the engine, you're beyond bolt-ons. This isn't LSx land. Cams and heads aren't considered bolt-ons around here.

You're not getting it. This car already has the heads and cams most would buy as after market parts. Boltons such as CAI, TB, cobra jet intake, and a good tune, you'll be there.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
If we assume you'll see 400 RWHP bone stock (I hate to assume, but...) then you would need to pick up 100 RWHP with nothing but external bolt-ons (exhaust, tune, etc). That's quite a stretch...and while I'd like this to be the case, I doubt it. We shall see...

Voltwings

Established Member
The only contingency will be if the high rise BOSS / CJ manifolds will clear with the lower hood line ... Fingers crossed, and waiting.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
If we assume you'll see 400 RWHP bone stock (I hate to assume, but...) then you would need to pick up 100 RWHP with nothing but external bolt-ons (exhaust, tune, etc). That's quite a stretch...and while I'd like this to be the case, I doubt it. We shall see...

Longtubes, CAI and tune is damn near 70 RWHP on Roadrunner engines. Add in the intake manifold, TB and and a whole lot of timing and it will happen.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

This is true, that 100rwhp gain is tough without modding the engine.

I wouldn't say it is impossible though. There is a certain stock Coyote engine that has made 510rwhp, with nothing more than external mods, very good fuel, and some very efficient drivetrain components. No opening of the longblock. To put that into perspective, a stock Coyote will make 360-370.

Welcome to the Coyote world. ;)

BMR Tech

To make the most power on an OHC engine, you almost always have to increase the RPM. You can increase the power without doing so, but to get the most out of the engine, you have to run it higher. I suspect the aftermarket intake manifold segment is going to blow up even more than what it has with the current Coyote cars, and these intakes will typically always be engineered to run well into the mid/high 7K range.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
If the heads and valvetrain are really as close to the Roadrunner as they are saying I don't see why with a CJ manifold these new engines can't be spun out to 8k+ and keep making power. CJ on a Roadrunner keeps making power past 8200...

BMR Tech

^ The CJ Cams on the intake....is what really excites me.

Heads that flow what a Boss does....Boss-ish exhaust cams, and CJ Intake Cams....

What a great recipe for exhaust, CJ Intake Set-up and E85. MMMMMM........so much power.

Voltwings

Established Member
Like i said... Makes it really hard to even want to bother with cams on my current set up. It would be cool if the new heads just drop right in, but even then, for a fully assembled set its likely not cheap.

Voltwings

Established Member
Stock made 380 whp, Current Setup Makes 445 whp @7800 rpm on 93, though i typically shift around 7500 (stock oil pump gears got me nervous). I have a set of those discontinued Ford Racing Exhaust cams (11mm, 290*) sitting in the garage since they were so cheap, and was just trying to decide what to do about oil pump gears and an intake cam to really start spinning the car high.

That exhaust cam was $180 shipped lol so i was really looking to make this a "budget build," but we'll see how that goes. The 13mm CJ intake cam is like $800, ~$100 for OEM Boss valve springs, and ~350 for oil pump gears, and i'm coming in right around what the comp cams are by themselves give or take. I will likely be making less power, but i think the Ford racing / Cobrajet could still be a pretty potent combo.

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
We shall see. Color me skeptical, but I have been wrong before (a lot, lol).

One question...what street tranny are you going to use to shift - and I mean SHIFT - an engine that spins to 8000 rpm?

Users who are viewing this thread