Horsepower numbers????

Voltwings

Established Member
I'll be the first to admit I am not fond of my MT-82, but with a little love it can do it. I think that is one thing the aftermarket will have to accept on their own, a factory transmission with synchros for 8k+ shifts IS asking for a lot.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
A synchronized T56 that can be powershifted at 8000 rpm? I'm sure the tranny can handle the power/torque...but that's a different story.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
Like you guys, I am VERY anxious to see how this new version of the 5.0L plays out. I also see a TON of potential with the new heads, cams, and sinter forged rods. I look forward to throwing on a set of longtubes and a Cobra Jet induction. My only curiosity with that is whether or not the intake ports on the heads still have the same shape. With the end-pivot CMRV setup, this may require a D-port? If that's the case, then the current Cobra Jet intake won't match up; but I'm sure Ford Racing will continue the Cobra Jet program with the S550?

BMR Tech

A synchronized T56 that can be powershifted at 8000 rpm? I'm sure the tranny can handle the power/torque...but that's a different story.

I used to think the same way.

Until I rode in my friend's (also customer) car that has a box stock Magnum XL, with McLeod RST Clutch and sees 7500+ RPM shifts every weekend.

That said, who said 8K? You can go really quick with 7500-7700 shift points, if you keep the car in the powerband.

BMR Tech

Bob, you really need to just jump into the Coyote world. Grab a base '14 or something.

I remember having shifting issues with my "one-off" custom T45, and my FS Style 4V....at 7200ish.. When the 2011 Came out, I drove a stock car with a tune, and was shifting the shit out of that thing at 7300-7400. I couldn't believe it.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
8000 rpm was in reference to an earlier post.

If that new T56 can really make 7500+ rpm full-throttle powershifts, color me impressed. I've never been impressed with any T56 prior, but things do change...

Stock T5s and T45s powershifted easily up to about 7k, you just couldn't reliably put a lot of power to them. In 2001, I broke five T45 input shafts on 3 different trans with 2 different clutches...lol. Three broke on the 3-4 shift, two on the 2-3 shift. Sucked. Tremec gave me a TKO for 2002, and while it didn't break, it wouldn't powershift that high reliably either (it was NOT pro-shifted, which would have been a whole different experience, but not street friendly). T56s in my 99 TA and 04 Cobra were ok, but I never pushed them anywhere near that high. Have never tried powershifting the one in my 2010 Vette...scared to death of breaking it and having to pay the inevitable 'corvette tax' to fix it....

Users who are viewing this thread