Hot Rod - Eight hours with a 2012 ZL1 Camaro

COBRA MAN OF UT

F...UR SUPRA @ GTR
Established Member
Why is this posted in this section, god u would think its a supra or GTR the way the threads are being made on a SVT FORUM

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
On its face, this thread should exist elsewhere. In reality, it is as relevant as the sun on being here. The ZL1/GT500 are like Siamese twins that want to kill each other.

mike69440

Established Member
never doubted it would be, just wouldn't buy one...doesn't really fit me :shrug:

I too can't get past the Camero's

1.) Near zero visibility out of the thing in virtually any direction.

2.) "Let Me Out' Level of lack of comfort/ ergonomics.

3.) Not the really good stuff engine internals.

4.) Gas guzzler tax. (why I like Mustangs and Corevettes, hot hatches, etc.)

5.) Tiny trunk and even smaller trunk opening.

6.) Plus size (+2 Tons of Fun)

I do give GM a lot of credit for their on track warrantee statement. I still have bad taste in mouth regarding how dealer treated me with my 03. (SVT helped me out, finally.)

Maybe I'm too practical but for me a good motorcycle or a used "track Car" along with a BMW 3 Series daily driver are a much better value than a lot of performance cars, expecially the Camero.

I don't think I'm alone here as a good friend of mine had a real chubby for a Vert S/S Camero until he fully checked it out. He ended up picking up a M3 coupe and thinks he is love.

2012 BMW 335i First Test - Motor Trend
I love how they compare 1/4 mile times to the S/S Camero!

Other than the just can't not lust power potential of the GT500, The Boss is the sweet ride too and Mustangs in general are cars you can live with.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member

I do give GM a lot of credit for their on track warrantee statement. I still have bad taste in mouth regarding how dealer treated me with my 03. (SVT helped me out, finally.)

Maybe I'm too practical but for me a good motorcycle or a used "track Car" along with a BMW 3 Series daily driver are a much better value than a lot of performance cars, expecially the Camero.

I don't think I'm alone here as a good friend of mine had a real chubby for a Vert S/S Camero until he fully checked it out. He ended up picking up a M3 coupe and thinks he is love.

Other than the just can't not lust power potential of the GT500, The Boss is the sweet ride too and Mustangs in general are cars you can live with.

I would agree on everything except number 2). Have you sat in or driven one? The interior is pretty ugly and the visibility is bad, but the seats are plenty comfortable, controls are in good reach, steering wheel is nice now that it has been replaced, gauges are good now that they have been updated, etc. I think the interior even one an award in terms of ergonomics as shocking as that sounds!

You get the feeling when you read these reviews that the ZL1 is more of the Grand Touring, more sophisticated car compared to say the GT500. Kind of like a ZR1 compared to a Viper, both plenty capable, but one is more livable, comfortable, and easy to drive. We will have to wait until we see reviews on the new GT500 though of course. It just seems like that is the direction these reviews are heading.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Why is this posted in this section, god u would think its a supra or GTR the way the threads are being made on a SVT FORUM
LOL, sorry, i didn't know that the competition was irrelevant:lol:

You get the feeling when you read these reviews that the ZL1 is more of the Grand Touring, more sophisticated car compared to say the GT500. Kind of like a ZR1 compared to a Viper, both plenty capable, but one is more livable, comfortable, and easy to drive. We will have to wait until we see reviews on the new GT500 though of course. It just seems like that is the direction these reviews are heading.
absolutely 100% agree! i have a feeling that - assuming no bought victories(magazines are easily had) - the ZL1 will win more comparisons because it'll have a better ride, be more composed over bumps, yada yada yada in street driving. the raw, hardcore vipers and GT500s take it all day long over the 'pleasant' corvettes(& GT-Rs) and ZL1s all day long for me though! i grew up with lots of road noise and shit ride quality, i can handle that stuff all day long for a more rewarding driving experience.

Last edited:

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member

You really cant get past the gas guzzler tax? Its a plus of the GT500 but really, I couldnt see it being the deciding point of buying one car over another. Especially when its only one MPG or so difference. Buy a prius if that is your concern.

Oh, and thanks for the post OP! Good article, good to keep tabs on the competition.

Last edited:

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
You really cant get past the gas guzzler tax? Its a plus of the GT500 but really, I couldnt see it being the deciding point of buying one car over another. Especially when its only one MPG or so difference. Buy a prius if that is your concern.

Oh, and thanks for the post OP! Good article, good to keep tabs on the competition.

I think the Gas Guzzler Tax argument is valid, think of what you could use the extra $1,300 - $2,600 on. A Glass Roof, or put it towards the SVTPP or SVTTT. Not that it's a deciding factor but you can do a lot with that money.

Formula51

Established Member
LOL, sorry, i didn't know that the competition was irrelevant:lol:

absolutely 100% agree! i have a feeling that - assuming no bought victories(magazines are easily had) - the ZL1 will win more comparisons because it'll have a better ride, be more composed over bumps, yada yada yada in street driving. the raw, hardcore vipers and GT500s take it all day long over the 'pleasant' corvettes(& GT-Rs) and ZL1s all day long for me though! i grew up with lots of road noise and shit ride quality, i can handle that stuff all day long for a more rewarding driving experience.

Im with you. If all goes well a Viper will replace the Camaro in the future. Either that or a 65-66 Mustang fastback or 68 Chevelle convertible.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
My garage goal is this: 2013 GT500 coupe, and at some point a 67-69 camaro (best one ever made) maybe even a vert of that just for me and the wife to cruise in

anyway this article after giving it a good read wasnt ridiculous like lets say motor trend ( they suck GM nuts) I think alot of guys will buy the ZL1 in an auto and try to be "badass track drivers" im hoping i run into one on the street and hopefully the owner is willing to chat!

mike69440

Established Member
I would agree on everything except number 2). Have you sat in or driven one?

Not since they changed the stering wheel and shifter. Was it 2011 or 2012 GM updated?

The interior is pretty ugly and the visibility is bad, but the seats are plenty comfortable, controls are in good reach, steering wheel is nice now that it has been replaced, gauges are good now that they have been updated, etc.

My fanny & back was ok with seats. I'm 6'3' tall and just barely fit comfortable in my Cobra. I really think the Camaro is not as good a fit as even my Termi. The new Mustangs are much better than Cobra.

I think the interior even one an award in terms of ergonomics as shocking as that sounds!

I like bright and cheery, I just could not get used to it. Like funiture, I like my old sofa. Most Recaro's are sweet though!

You get the feeling when you read these reviews that the ZL1 is more of the Grand Touring, more sophisticated car compared to say the GT500.

Maybe like the Caddy it is undeneath? I like the Caddy.

Kind of like a ZR1 compared to a Viper, (2008 Viper & up are much tamer to handle, early ones are worse than an over powered Cobra without TC!) both plenty capable, but one is more livable, comfortable, and easy to drive. We will have to wait until we see reviews on the new GT500 though of course. It just seems like that is the direction these reviews are heading.

See comments above in QUOTE

Last edited:

mike69440

Established Member
I think the Gas Guzzler Tax argument is valid, think of what you could use the extra $1,300 - $2,600 on. A Glass Roof, or put it towards the SVTPP or SVTTT. Not that it's a deciding factor but you can do a lot with that money.

With a sweet tune and a Whipple, being able to put-put about get +20 mpg and still do naughty a few times per tankful is a reason I don't worry putting miles on my car. Very few GT500, ZL1, etc. owners have the monster muscle car as their sole means of getting around.

Being a gas pig will make choosing the other car as the daily driver more likely, i.e. less fun behind wheel. With the ZL1, you definitely need a Miata as a pacifier.

There is a reason for that 3.31 gear, 285 tires, and tiny 5.8L 4V motor beside 1/4 mile times.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member

It's closer to 3 or 4 mpg....
ZL1 is rated something aweful,
14/19
GT500
15/23

Not bad for 70+ hp.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
There is actually a nice write up on Camaro5 from the Mod "Dragoneye" who was invited and drove the ZL1 at the ViR event. Interesting read.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The ZL1/GT500 are like Siamese twins that want to kill each other.

Spy-vs-spy.png

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I've read it, and besides maybe being a little over the top it's very well written. He did a great job of reviewing the car with easy to understand descriptions, and answered a lot of the "feel" questions for the guys over there who are waiting for theirs to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread