How do I get that cackling/burbling sound on deceleration?!?

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
Need help. I'm trying to figure out what exhaust system or what particular part of the exhaust system is responsible for giving that popping/crackling sound on deceleration. I've changed my exhaust system up a couple times trying to find it but so far...no dice. Right now I have Bassanni headers with a Bassanni X-pipe through 2.5" inlet/outlet Borla S Type mufflers w/ no cats. This current set up sounds good but it doesn't quite produce that sound I'm talking about. I'm starting to think it's catalytic converters in conjunction with the rest of the exhaust that gives the exhaust sound I'm talking about. Can someone clear this up for me? What should I be looking for or doing different to get this sound that is so popular on our cars and Mustangs in general really, especially late model stuff.

96dreamer

Established Member
You're not going to get what your looking for through different exhaust setups. The heavy decel burble or crackle you hear on newer cars is in the tune changing the timing and fueling in the over run part of the map.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I just put slp lm1's on my car there's more than enough of what you're looking for. I'm running an offroad x though. If you are close, i'd swap catbacks with you.

Zemedici

Established Member

03 Cobra
2.3l Whipple
Kooks O/R Longtubes with X
Borla Stingers

GG

can hear it some in videos, but as stated above, its really more so tuning

we have inquiries all the time about asking if we can make trackhawks do it lol

cobracide

Established Member
"X"

Had the magnaflow x/catback. It was the X. Now it's borla with an MRT H. It's the sound I perfer - old school no cracking. Cracking sounds like cooking rice.

Last edited:

96dreamer

Established Member
I guess it's all relative. When I hear someone asking about a burble or crackle setup I think of this nonsense.

Removing the cats in your setup will increase what your wanting slightly. You will never get the level of a burble tune without a tune. Also please don't get a burble tune.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

03 Cobra
2.3l Whipple
Borla Stingers

GG

That sounds good, just enough crackling and popping for me.

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
I guess it's all relative. When I hear someone asking about a burble or crackle setup I think of this nonsense.

Removing the cats in your setup will increase what your wanting slightly. You will never get the level of a burble tune without a tune. Also please don't get a burble tune.
Oh good gawd no. A thousand times no. I agree this sounds like total ass.

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
That sounds good, just enough crackling and popping for me.

03 Cobra
2.3l Whipple
Borla Stingers

GG

This is about as close as it gets what I am looking for. Subtle but audible without being obnoxious.

Users who are viewing this thread