I don't understand the MT82 complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
It's not bad at all, mine is butter smooth! And I've also had an s2k before so I have somewhat of tranny royalty to say so.

It's just the auto fan bois creating more smoke than actually fire. Sure there has been some duds no doubt and it's not the best, but the vast majority like it.

The auto trend here is becoming the hella flush trend of the import world.

Last edited:

96whitesvt

Established Member
100% failure rate of all 5 of my friends that own them. Some maybe driver error but not all. 2 went as early as below 1500 miles. 1 lasted about 20000.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Is it a problem for some people-yes

Is it blown WAY out of proportion-YES

You have to understand how a forum works-

1. you can't say your opinion, because people who dont agree with you feel the need to tell you you're dumb and wrong

2. as soon as somebody hears about a person having a problem with something, it is instantly a pandemic, and EVERYBODY will have this problem. You don't hear about the 200 people who never have an issue with their mt-82, you hear about the 1 that did.

3. If you post a bad experience you had with a company, EVERY person that's ever bought a $.99 sticker from them feels the need to defend that company because their transaction went smooth. If you post a good experience you had with a company, everyone needs to share the bad experience that someone else had with them. (people just like to argue and tell other people they're wrong)

I'm glad you are having a good experience with your mt-82. I am also having luck with mine (27kmi and 7kmi with my tvs).

Last edited:

2k3Mach

Established Member
Bought my 2011 at 2500 miles and now at 38k miles with no trans mods. I have a whine which makes the car sound blown but no issues!

S197 KID

Established Member
16k on mine tons of abuse but no real sticky tires at the track yet so...... but as far as racing, it's perfect, goes in everytime with no grinds or anything. it's a 2013 with the stock shifter. I came from a 9 second eagle talon with a glass 3000$ race transmission so maybe that's what prepared me to actually know how to drive..

konakush

Established Member
You've had a Mustang for all of 5 minutes. Based on your other thread, you paid $28K for a car with 23K miles and then got taken for an extended warranty.

Uh. We reworked that deal. You want to see my papers? Don't be such an ass. I'm trying to understand the MT complaints.

konakush

Established Member
The auto trend here is becoming the hella flush trend of the import world.

Word. I come from Audi VW so I know what you mean.

Thanks everyone else who chimed in. I think this is a great transmission.

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
I bought a brand new 2011 with a 2010 build date and at 3500 my flywheel sheered two of the dowl pins off causing my clutch to never fully disengage and it fried my clutch and flywheel and pressure plate was trashed as well. These cars had some problems with the pressure plate in the 2010 build date not all but a few. When they went to install the new clutch they dropped my tranny on the floor so they had to buy me a brand new tranny at 3500 miles. Luckily when they replaced it it was a brand new 2012 tranny so I haven't had a single problem since my clutch pedal doesn't stick it hits every gear great I actually have liked the mt82 since it was replaced

yngrshr

Established Member
I always trust people who have owned RSX Type-S. /sarcasm

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Bought my 2012 new in mid-late 2011. 29k+ on car now, still on stock clutch with last 9k with blower. I have an rxt in my closet when the stock clutch craps out. No issues so far, braided clutch line, seperate gto resorvoir with dot4 fluid, poly motor mounts, mgw, helper spring removed, and trans mount insert on order.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
how did we get on page two without the auto worshippers bombarding this thread.

also, 09/10 build date, 25K miles, 0 trans issues, 0 sticking to the floor clutch pedal at 7800RPM shifts, zero issues missing gears after barton 2 post.

Still need too swap fluid in the trans itself which I think will make it even smoother.

I still don't get the complete bitch fest the auto guys have. The MT-82 isn't as bad as they make it out too be.

konakush

Established Member
I got a PM from that guy who was talking shit in the second post with some good information

First off, during the time you were driving imports and emersing yourself in hp/L and other inanities, I was owning and driving Mustangs. I've put 150K+ miles on SN95 and new edge Mustangs with T-45 and TR3650 trannies - so I know what a proper tranny feels like and have at least a slight idea on how to drive one.

The initial run or two of MT-82s were absolute crap. I've even had a Ford tech personally tell me this - right after he replaced my tranny and right before it went back for a failed pilot shaft bearing.

The pimply faced shitbirds who have '13 and '14 cars dont know or dont remember the firestorm in early 2010, when the first '11 models with their shit MT82's hit the streets. The failure rate for these trannies was ridiculous - completely unacceptable for a mass produced car. It would be even higher except for a lot of Mustang owners drive their cars like pussies and dont notice the high rpm 2-3 gear lockout.

Somewhere after the first or second model year with the MT-82, Ford made some changes. They claim it was just changing up the fluid and minor things, but I sincerely believe they tightened up production tolerances at the Chinese production plant. The MT-82 by design is an excellent transmission, but Ford chooses to have it produced by communist peasant slaves who dont give a shit about you or your transmission or the quality of that which leaves their plant.

Anyway, the end result is that newer MT-82s are much more dependable than the first few batches.

Its become a popular refrain on Mustangs boards to criticize complaints about the MT-82 as 'driver error'. I can promise that this is not the case with a lot of the '11 and '12 owners. Its irritating to have a twerp who has never driven a V8 rwd car with a manual transmission prior to buying his car a month ago say that driver error is the cause of the massive torrent of MT-82 complaints.

There's some good information there if you can get through the rhetoric.

NinjaBum

Established Member
I've had 3. 2 of my mustangs shifted fine, (1st and current) the second one I experienced lockouts from 4th under aggressive load. Impossible that it's driver error since I had no issues for 2 out of the three.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
Ive had a 95 Mustang GT, 01 Cobra, and now this one. This is the best transmission ive ever shifted. Its smooth as silk, shifts effortlessly, not to mention im not reaching just to reach the shifter. Not notchy at all. About 3 years later and 46k miles I am still enjoying it. Only "issue" is the clutch has been feeling squishy/spongy after long trips but from another thread it seems like a fluid and reservoir switch away.

My 95, blew three T5 transmissions. My 01, Grenaded the 3650. Swapped to a T56 which never failed but was notoriously noisy. Cant see how ford sold $35,000 Terminators with a transmission that sounded like a rock grinder in neutral. Nevertheless, from a functioning point of few my T56 was great. My MT85 is worlds better and more comfortable to shift/drive than either car. I can shift this car with my fingers or a slight flip of the wrist.

I must say, the entire car and transmission is a giant treat after owning the prior two cars. And i absolutely LOVED my cobra. However this is the first Mustang ive ever owned where i didnt run and get a new shifter as soon as possible. Still on the stocker.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
how many moan about the MT82 being BOLTED together in China, as they type on their macbook which is assembled in China, along with 90% of everything in this country.

ive owned/driven plenty of mustangs and other cars with Tremec and Getrag transmissions.

the MT82's "issues" are easily solved with fluid/clutch line/shifter. go ask GT500 guys wat its like never being able to hit second. lest we forget all the T56 trouble the GT500 had when it was introduced. how quickly we forget.

or what about terminator guys snapping input shafts? gimme a break. its a great trans, shifts better in stock form than any other ford period.

stop the gansta lean, scoot your seat up and learn to bang gears correctly and have fun.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Never had the pedal stick to the floor, but have had issues getting into 5th, 2nd, 3rd. The thing with these cars is you have to press the pedal all the way to the floor. Also can't shift too fast.. lol

Things that have helped me from not missing the gears are an MGW shifter and a clutch pedal extension from Bondra performance. Still going to get the synchromesh tranny oil.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
how many moan about the MT82 being BOLTED together in China, as they type on their macbook which is assembled in China, along with 90% of everything in this country.

ive owned/driven plenty of mustangs and other cars with Tremec and Getrag transmissions.

the MT82's "issues" are easily solved with fluid/clutch line/shifter. go ask GT500 guys wat its like never being able to hit second. lest we forget all the T56 trouble the GT500 had when it was introduced. how quickly we forget.

or what about terminator guys snapping input shafts? gimme a break. its a great trans, shifts better in stock form than any other ford period.

stop the gansta lean, scoot your seat up and learn to bang gears correctly and have fun.

Yep, like the mexican built tremecs where any better. Let me play you the song of my people... 2-3 clunk, 2-3 clunk, 2-3 clunk. :lol:

kingnut

Established Member
You've had a Mustang for all of 5 minutes. Based on your other thread, you paid $28K for a car with 23K miles and then got taken for an extended warranty.

The tone of your post is grating on guys who have in all likelihood far more experience with manual trannies than you and have had their share of problems. Maybe you have a good MT-82 or maybe you are in for a surprise, but dont come on here saying you dont understand the criticism of the transmission when you dont know enough to even begin scratching the surface. :rollseyes

lmfao. first reply hit the nail on the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread