i give up, what does a person have to do to make a 03 cobra fast?

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
went to the track tonight, ran 3 12.0's but at a whopping 123mph!! WTF do i have to do to make this POS run? i expect and want to touch 130 in the 1/4.

2.2 kb @ 21psi, 23* timing, plenty of fuel. a/f is 11.4. on the dyno it made 571 with 19* timing, but the pcm was pulling 5* due to 170* charge temps.

i am starting to lose all hope in the car. what to do next?

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
driving has nothing to do with MPH, my shifts need a little work since i have to lift at each shift. but that wont affect the top end much at all

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
oh i thought since you said you ran a 12 you wanted it to be faster but i assume shifts being sloppy would reduce MPH

superman

Established Member
Cobra are fast--depends on driver and or right modifactions to car. I went 11.30's @124 with stock supercharger-10.70's @128 with ported supercharger & 10.20 @138 with 2.3 whipple 18 lbs boost:shrug:

CobraStruck

Fastest Eaton/6-Speed/IRS
Established Member
Be patient. Some cooler weather will help alot. Do you ice the car/intercooler down between runs? Each time you go to the track you will get better and better at driving the car. Its not something thats just going to happen just because you made good power. Ask any of the cars that are fast on this website and they will tell you it takes practice and a good setup to run good times.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
driving has nothing to do with MPH, my shifts need a little work since i have to lift at each shift. but that wont affect the top end much at all

Are you sure about that? When someone is lazy on shifts it means that the car is covering distance without gaining speed. Last time I checked that means that the trap speed will be lower than someone who is faster on the shifts :shrug: If you are giving up already, then maybe you need a new hobby. Just be patient and get some good air and drive it like you want to break it.

jmstekguy

Established Member
are you using a real tire under the car, and dyno numbers dont mean shit, with the tuneup that you have in it, you should be able to go 10.80's on a full weight cobra with actual tires under it, i have gone 11.5@122 with a whipple @ 14psi and nitto 305 drag radial and a ****ed clutch (slowest 4 gear shift known to man lol) and the car only made 489rwhp ...keep driving it and you will get quicker

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Are you sure about that? When someone is lazy on shifts it means that the car is covering distance without gaining speed. Last time I checked that means that the trap speed will be lower than someone who is faster on the shifts :shrug: If you are giving up already, then maybe you need a new hobby. Just be patient and get some good air and drive it like you want to break it.

see thats just it, i dont want a car that is fast ONLY when the air is right. this bitch needs to run the same day or night. and it was cool last night, 98* for my first run.

driving is not the problem, this is my second cobra been racing for many years. and driving dont explain 571hp. it should be closer to 650+, unless a 2.3 whipple is just alot better than a KB, they can touch 700. my last shot will be a killer chiller or a 50 shot to bring iat temps down, but i feel i should not have to, if the i/c would just do its damn job better.

and i am still ready to give up, give up on these stupid heat soaking parasitic drag superchargers and going turbo. :-D never seen a big front mount intercooler get heat soaked.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
and do not forget i am NOT waorried about my ET, only the trap speed. hell my track wont even put water in the burn out box so i can heat the hoosiers.

my only concern is 1/4mile MPH, i would rather run a 12.5@130 than a 10.9@ 122
traction is easy to fix, my low hp is not.

03mgtermi

Established Member
bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Appears that you have a heavy car that is not producing the horsepower on the track that it did on the dyno. And poor launching and slow shifting will definitely reduce your MPH.

If you put down your runs in this format, there are fellas on this site that can analyze it pretty thoroughly:

60'............1.584
1/8...........7.061
1/8 MPH.....99.53
1/4............10.987
MPH...........129.19

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
What type of answer are you looking for, you seem to shoot everyone down.

what can i do to make this car run with a whipple, run without needing magic air or cool air. run back to back to back passess without cool down. run 130mph traps so i can **** with some bikes even when its 110 outside.

again remember there is NO track prep and no water in the burn out box.

60' 2.1
330' 5.3
1/8 7.9
mph 96
1000' 10.1
1/4 12.0
mph 122.5 <--------- this needs to read much higher

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
what can i do to make this car run with a whipple, run without needing magic air or cool air. run back to back to back passess without cool down. run 130mph traps so i can **** with some bikes even when its 110 outside.

60' 2.1
330' 5.3
1/8 7.9
mph 96
1000' 10.1
1/4 12.0

You're on hoosier's and only getting a 2.1 60'???

Either learn how to properly cool a car with a twin screw on it or go turbo since that's what you want to do it seems. Temperature and relative humidity will kill your times and mph.

yellowgt02

Established Member

60' 2.1
330' 5.3
1/8 7.9
mph 96
1000' 10.1
1/4 12.0

Three words for ya man:

Spinnin' Aint Winnin.

You seriously need to learn to get the car to hook first. That will give you better ET's and MPH.

SvTDsG

Unported!
Established Member
You went 96mph in the 1/8th and 122mph in the 1/4, you picked up 26mph in the back half of the track thats just about dead on. These cars need alot of cool down time with ice. Just give it some time and cooler air, ice your blower and the intercooler system to make you intake temps lower it will bring the mph up for you.

Users who are viewing this thread