i give up, what does a person have to do to make a 03 cobra fast?

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
like i said, i cant heat the tires due to lack of water, if i try to heat them on dry pavement i get wheel hop. there is NO track prep, no groove, no vht, no rubber on the track since the street tires tear it all up.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
You went 96mph in the 1/8th and 122mph in the 1/4, you picked up 26mph in the back half of the track thats just about dead on. These cars need alot of cool down time with ice. Just give it some time and cooler air, ice your blower and the intercooler system to make you intake temps lower it will bring the mph up for you.

see this is why i am thinking turbo, i dont want to have to ice crap down. i dont remember my whipple cobra having heat soak this bad.

does a killer chiller work? any other way to get a better i/c system on these cars? nitrous should lower my temps to at least ambient right?
right now i am torn between nitrous, killer chiller, whipple 2.3.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
You can't run back to back with one of these cars and your setup and not lose a boat load of power lol. Not a chance. Let alone start out hot.

Go to a different track too. Other than that your goals aren't going to happen where you live IMHO. Not the way you want to do it at least. It's not possible.

So quit now before you cost yourself a lot of money with purchasing a new longblock. Sorry.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
what can i do to make this car run with a whipple, run without needing magic air or cool air. run back to back to back passess without cool down. run 130mph traps so i can **** with some bikes even when its 110 outside.

If this is what you want you're out of luck like I said above.

Back to back passes in 100 degree weather just won't work.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
If this is what you want you're out of luck like I said above.

Back to back passes in 100 degree weather just won't work.

damn, i guess thats what i needed to hear. i am just use to a turbo car and being able to run back to back to back no matter the temps.

still thinking about a 50 shot though, that should cure any intake temp problems :rolling:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
damn, i guess thats what i needed to hear. i am just use to a turbo car and being able to run back to back to back no matter the temps.

you said your last car was a whipple not a turbo?

either way, i dont care if youre n/a....heat hurts power, period.

granted a turbo would allow things to cool down quicker but hot lapping will still hurt times and power.

when air is hot it expands which means when you suck in air, youre sucking in less oxygen which means less kaboom in the cylinder

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I'll put it to you this way...my ported eaton full weight convertible on et streets traps higher in the 1/8th than you were.

The heat is absolutely killing your times. I give a minimum of 30 minutes of down time between runs.

If you want to keep that setup I'd recommend either a killer chiller or get an ice box and learn to use it to your advantage.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
I'll put it to you this way...my ported eaton full weight convertible on et streets traps higher in the 1/8th than you were.

The heat is absolutely killing your times. I give a minimum of 30 minutes of down time between runs.

If you want to keep that setup I'd recommend either a killer chiller or get an ice box and learn to use it to your advantage.

yeah i was thinking killer chiller, but have not seen any proof that it works yet. i think it would be great here in vegas since we run the a/c all the time any way.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
you said your last car was a whipple not a turbo?

either way, i dont care if youre n/a....heat hurts power, period.

granted a turbo would allow things to cool down quicker but hot lapping will still hurt times and power.

when air is hot it expands which means when you suck in air, youre sucking in less oxygen which means less kaboom in the cylinder

my last cobra was a whipple, i have had 2 srt-4's , 2 evo's and a 240z with a big turbo. a turbo and air to air i/c dont heat soak just idleing. thats what i am fighting. by the time i drive UPHILL to the burn out box, heat the tires, and stage, i have heat soak.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
You live in vegas, heat is counter productive to power. No amount of talking will change this. I don't care what you are running,

You cannot expect the car to run the same no matter the conditions, that is just ignorant of the physics involved man.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
You can't run back to back with one of these cars and your setup and not lose a boat load of power lol. Not a chance. Let alone start out hot.

Go to a different track too. Other than that your goals aren't going to happen where you live IMHO. Not the way you want to do it at least. It's not possible.

So quit now before you cost yourself a lot of money with purchasing a new longblock. Sorry.

^This.

blown302stng

Established Member
Vegas is at about 2000 ft and I calculated the DA for last night and it was over 5300ft...You really cant expect to run much better in those conditions..Find a track at sea level or wait til some cooler weather and the MPH will improve.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Vegas is at about 2000 ft and I calculated the DA for last night and it was over 5300ft...You really cant expect to run much better in those conditions..Find a track at sea level or wait til some cooler weather and the MPH will improve.

wow how did you do that? thanks for that info. i was really frustrated with car last night. after years of running in denver i thought things would be so much better at lower elevation.

i still will try to find a way to combat the heat soak, killer chiller or maybe even water injection. i really thought my goal was reachable, but i guess i am wrong.

02reaper

Established Member
went to the track tonight, ran 3 12.0's but at a whopping 123mph!! WTF do i have to do to make this POS run? i expect and want to touch 130 in the 1/4.

2.2 kb @ 21psi, 23* timing, plenty of fuel. a/f is 11.4. on the dyno it made 571 with 19* timing, but the pcm was pulling 5* due to 170* charge temps.

i am starting to lose all hope in the car. what to do next?

What is plenty of fuel (what octane)? If you are on 93 octane you are running way to much timing and boost.

Users who are viewing this thread