I just can't win....Help Please!

crazycarlo

Established Member
Sorry to hear this man. It almost sounds like how my car was when I overheated it. I would have water coming out the exhaust. And my upper radiator hose would be rock hard after a few seconds of running. I just figured I had a bad head gasket. I ended up selling the car before I found out what was wrong. Good luck and I hope it get figured out and it's something simple.

Tickle

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if it was vacuum related but who knows with the overheating, etc. A lot of variables have changed.

Sometimes the dealership is the best option. It was for motor mounts for me at least... And there's a trust level too, I would take it their before a random mechanic.

I'm pulling for you to get your Cobra back on the road soon. Hopefully it's something simple.

LDC2335

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'm hoping it's something small too.

The 10 miles or so after going back to stock was probably the smoothest it's ever run. New mounts all around, new tranny, etc. I was bummed about taking off the vortech, but kind of excited for the quiet/smooth drive.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Thanks guys, I'm hoping it's something small too.

The 10 miles or so after going back to stock was probably the smoothest it's ever run. New mounts all around, new tranny, etc. I was bummed about taking off the vortech, but kind of excited for the quiet/smooth drive.

If you ever decide to go back to a blower setup, the V3SCi is very quite. You will only hear the blower whistle at idle.

LDC2335

Established Member
If you ever decide to go back to a blower setup, the V3SCi is very quite. You will only hear the blower whistle at idle.
It was loud, but a good loud. Got a lot of positive attention.

Do y'all think a broken injector pintle cap would cause all this?

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
It was loud, but a good loud. Got a lot of positive attention.

Do y'all think a broken injector pintle cap would cause all this?

Its possible, but if you are shooting lots of water out your exhaust pipes I would go with the head gasket theory.

LDC2335

Established Member
Its possible, but if you are shooting lots of water out your exhaust pipes I would go with the head gasket theory.
It's regular water like condensation, not coolant. Would that be head gaskets? And if compression was good?

Cobra Jim

Established Member
Did you check your fuel pressure? Perhaps you have a bad regulator. Stuck egr valve? Did you try cleaning your maf sensor? Just trying to think of the little things that may have been overlooked. I would have tried a leakdown test also. Just because you have good compression does not nessessarly mean your head gasket is good. Good luck and keep us posted.

LDC2335

Established Member
Kinda. They are "swamped" at the shop. They put it on a smoke machine and didn't find a leak. I told them about the broken pintle cap and he seemed to think it could be a possibility.

He said it had a miss when he hooked it up to the computer. He's gonna try and swap injectors and see if it follows/changes it.

Last edited:

LDC2335

Established Member
Ordered all new injectors, fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter. Probably install Saturday night. Fingers crossed. Picking up from dealer. Tired of them puting me on the back burner.

LDC2335

Established Member
Well shit, injectors and regulator didn't change anything. There's $400 down the crapper.

I think I have a small exhaust leak at the the drivers manifold. . Could this be it? I'll be dropping the mid pipe later tonight.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I was afraid that was gonna happen...can you borrow a tuner from someone to try and log it? pretty much blindly throwing parts at it at right now

LDC2335

Established Member
^ Pretty much. Don't know anyone close with a tuner. I'll try mine again if the exhaust leak doesn't pan out.

I've read an exhaust leak before the sensors can cause a misfire, wobbly motor.

I also have an extra maf I can swap in. Though this one worked fine when I pulled out for the blower.

Just don't get how I can not be throwing codes for this?

Last edited:

Tickle

Established Member
Hope you figure this out. I am in a similar boat. I started getting bad hesitation under load friday. Similar symptoms, no codes.

I have checked every thing I can, new spark plug wires are next, data logging after that. Dealership after that.

Last edited:

LDC2335

Established Member
Hope you figure this out. I am in a similar boat. I started getting bad hesitation under load friday. Similar symptoms, no codes.

I have checked every thing I can, new spark plug wires are next, data logging after that. Dealership after that.
I tightened up the exhaust, it doesn't sit as good as it used to after the new motor mounts. I think there may be a slight leak still. My POS tuner will only let me data log 3 seconds before it freezes up.

I'm gonna swap mafs ad soon as I can find my spare. When I unplugged the on it, nothing changed that I can tell. Thought that was a sure sign of it being bad. Who knows.

How old are the O2 sensors?
Brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread