I want both - Track pack and Technology package in GT350

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
At the end of the day, chalk it up to the risk of buying the first model year of a car before all the bugs are worked out and the market research is available.

What "bugs" did Ford work out between the '16 and '17?

I look at it as they consolidated option packages, which is something Ford and other auto manufacturers do on a regular basis from one model year to the next.

And as far as market research, again, all option packages were clearly explained when the car was released back in 2015, available thru print, online, etc.

It's not Ford's fault that A: you didnt do your homework, and B: you believed what your salesman told you.

Maag

Established Member
4K for coolers is that retail or dealer cost? As the dealer who told you the wrong thing to make a sale they should sell you the coolers and labor at cost.

They said it was $2700 in parts and the rest for the full day of labor for install.

Snoopy49

Established Member
They said it was $2700 in parts and the rest for the full day of labor for install.

How do they are they going to hook up the trans cooler to the transmission without ports or a pump? Has Ford come out with a kit to retrofit a none track pack car with coolers?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How do they are they going to hook up the trans cooler to the transmission without ports or a pump? Has Ford come out with a kit to retrofit a none track pack car with coolers?
My questions as well.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ford Performance had Track Pack/R TR3160 transmissions available but pulled the listing as they were going to institute a process requiring proof of ownership prior to sale. Buyfordracing sold the only two available before FP cut the supply off. They were sold for $2,700 shipped. That did not include the forthcoming cooler kit from FP.

jtn83

Established Member
I think Ford was well enough aware of the issue that they chose to disable or hide the tranny temperature readings from the dash. Several people have managed to turn them on using FORScan and the temperatures do get hot enough to be a concern, even on the street.

Like others have said here, the aftermarket still hasn't "caught" up and released a full plug and play kit. Honestly, if Ford or FP offers a kit that's the near the price differential that would've been the track/tech packs it'd be a win. Nobody expects something for free, as the price of the Tech Pack cars would've been higher out of the gate if they came with the amenities along with the coolers.

The warranty issue is a concern. I get it, establish a good relationship with a good dealer. Doesn't everyone want to do this? Be able to trust the people working on your car and have them use some common sense on what they'll warrant what they won't... But, that's easier said than done depending on where you live and what dealership(s) are near you. Aside from that, I'm military and move every 12-24 months--we've never lived in a city longer than the 21 months we spent in Fort Worth. So, you guys are right, most dealers won't have a problem with warranting a transmission oil cooler. Unless it's the transmission that goes out later, and they aren't the ones that installed the aftermarket cooling parts.

Hopefully FP releases something at the upcoming SEMA show.

Hell if I had it my way, I'd sell mine now and pick up an R with the electronics package--that's what I always wanted but I ordered mine through MAS and that wasn't an option. I also love the DIB that isn't offered anymore, but finding a 2106 DIB R at this point in time is probably a pipe dream. Most of you guys probably think it's silly to want an R with little to no intention of tracking it.

But, I've said my two cents.

Cheers,
Jason

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I think Ford was well enough aware of the issue that they chose to disable or hide the tranny temperature readings from the dash. Several people have managed to turn them on using FORScan and the temperatures do get hot enough to be a concern, even on the street.

Like others have said here, the aftermarket still hasn't "caught" up and released a full plug and play kit. Honestly, if Ford or FP offers a kit that's the near the price differential that would've been the track/tech packs it'd be a win. Nobody expects something for free, as the price of the Tech Pack cars would've been higher out of the gate if they came with the amenities along with the coolers.

The warranty issue is a concern. I get it, establish a good relationship with a good dealer. Doesn't everyone want to do this? Be able to trust the people working on your car and have them use some common sense on what they'll warrant what they won't... But, that's easier said than done depending on where you live and what dealership(s) are near you. Aside from that, I'm military and move every 12-24 months--we've never lived in a city longer than the 21 months we spent in Fort Worth. So, you guys are right, most dealers won't have a problem with warranting a transmission oil cooler. Unless it's the transmission that goes out later, and they aren't the ones that installed the aftermarket cooling parts.

Hopefully FP releases something at the upcoming SEMA show.

Hell if I had it my way, I'd sell mine now and pick up an R with the electronics package--that's what I always wanted but I ordered mine through MAS and that wasn't an option. I also love the DIB that isn't offered anymore, but finding a 2106 DIB R at this point in time is probably a pipe dream. Most of you guys probably think it's silly to want an R with little to no intention of tracking it.

But, I've said my two cents.

Cheers,
Jason
My '03 Cobra didn't have a transmission temp reading. I'm not sure if Ford really "hid" it for the GT350 tech pack since it's not meant for tracking anyways. Does the R or track pack have it available?

jtn83

Established Member
My '03 Cobra didn't have a transmission temp reading. I'm not sure if Ford really "hid" it for the GT350 tech pack since it's not meant for tracking anyways. Does the R or track pack have it available?

Yeah, both the R and the Track Pack how it in the LCD screen on the instrument cluster along with IAT, Coolant, A/F, ect... The 03s never had this feature because their instrument clusters were significantly simpler then the ones in the newer cars.

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Yeah, both the R and the Track Pack how it in the LCD screen on the instrument cluster along with IAT, Coolant, A/F, ect... The 03s never had this feature because their instrument clusters were significantly simpler then the ones in the newer cars.
That makes even more sense. If an electronics packaged GT350 was intended to be tracked, it would probably have had access to those features.

jtn83

Established Member
That makes even more sense. If an electronics packaged GT350 was intended to be tracked, it would probably have had access to those features.

Then why not hide readings showing oil temp, cylinder head temps, a/f ratio? Why have the Track APPS and launch control? Those are all things that a "street" car wouldn't need to see. Most "street" cars only show coolant temp, and few have readings the usually just have a 'C' or 'H'.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Then why not hide readings showing oil temp, cylinder head temps, a/f ratio? Why have the Track APPS and launch control? Those are all things that a "street" car wouldn't need to see. Most "street" cars only show coolant temp, and few have readings the usually just have a 'C' or 'H'.
My wife's $27k Ecoboost Mustang has Track Apps and even she's smart enough to know her car isn't track ready.

jtn83

Established Member
My wife's $27k Ecoboost Mustang has Track Apps and even she's smart enough to know her car isn't track ready.
Yet it'll go around the track without going into limp mode and the $60,000 version won't...

Nobody, none of the Tech Pack owners, has ever said they expected the tech packs to be better or even as good on the track as a track pack car. But it is very reasonable to expect them to at least stay out of limp mode like the $25,000 version mustangs do. That's the point.

As much as the Track pack drivers have made comments like we're just upset that the Track Pack cars aren't having issues, it's the other way around. It seems the Track Pack drivers are almost gleeful that the Tech Pack cars have issues with limp mode--even on the street.

I mean, everyone of these threads on multiple forums is full of Track Pack guys lecturing everyone, none of the Track Pack guys have provided a solution or anything constructive. Just "oh I'm smart, that's why I ordered..."

Of all the different cars I've owned, I've never had one go into limp mode on a race track--some where faster and some were slower around the track. But, they could ALL at least complete a session without going into limp mode. That was the expectation that Tech Pack owners had--that these cars would at least be as trackable as lesser vehicles are.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I bet if you took yours on the track and ran the same lap times as my wife's would, you wouldn't go into limp mode either.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
jtn83 said:
I mean, everyone of these threads on multiple forums is full of Track Pack guys lecturing everyone, none of the Track Pack guys have provided a solution or anything constructive. Just "oh I'm smart, that's why I ordered..."

While I agree with much of what you've said, I have issue with the above. I'm the one that started the FORscan thread on another forum and I provided information on how to get the Track Pack/R transmission for $2,700 - and I have a Track Pack '16 GT350 myself.

I'm tired of the "woe is me, it's all Ford's fault" sentiment that runs rampant among certain Tech Pack owners. Hey, I wanted nav but wasn't willing to give up the coolers to get it. I figured I could add it later and will be doing the conversion shortly. Parts are on their way.

I agree that a "lesser" car shouldn't outperform the GT350. But for two model years, if you didn't order the coolers, that's the way it is. Buy the necessary hardware to allow tracking the car, install it, and move on. When it all becomes available, that is.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Yet it'll go around the track without going into limp mode and the $60,000 version won't...

Nobody, none of the Tech Pack owners, has ever said they expected the tech packs to be better or even as good on the track as a track pack car. But it is very reasonable to expect them to at least stay out of limp mode like the $25,000 version mustangs do. That's the point.

As much as the Track pack drivers have made comments like we're just upset that the Track Pack cars aren't having issues, it's the other way around. It seems the Track Pack drivers are almost gleeful that the Tech Pack cars have issues with limp mode--even on the street.

Of all the different cars I've owned, I've never had one go into limp mode on a race track--some where faster and some were slower around the track. But, they could ALL at least complete a session without going into limp mode. That was the expectation that Tech Pack owners had--that these cars would at least be as trackable as lesser vehicles are.

You keep saying this but do you have any stats to back up your stance? How long does it take to go into limp vs a GT an eco a v6? At which temperature do the above 4 go into limp mode. Does the 350 tech get to these temps faster and if so a comparison would be great.

If you have no stats then please stop talking!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The data is out there. He isn't misrepresenting the truth. And in general, there have been quite a few that have tracked their Tech Pack cars alongside Track Pack cars and gone into limp after only a few laps.

Users who are viewing this thread