In the market for a truck... Silverado or Tundra?

oilwell1415

Established Member
I purchased a new '09 Silverado Hybrid instead.

I cringe when I see a statement like that. Just wait until that starternator goes out and needs replaced. Here's an actual conversation between student and instructor at a GM service class I went to:

Instructor: The starternator is great! It eliminates two easily replaced and fairly inexpensive parts with one part that's expensive and hard to replace.
Student: How much does it cost to replace?
Instructor: About $2k.
Student: What's the expected life?
INsructor: It's designed to last the life of the vehicle.
Sutdent: How long is the life of the vehicle?
Instructor: 36 months or 36k miles, whichever comes first.

Gotta love something put together like that.

My last driver was a GMC and I can't imagine ever owning another one. In addition to the payments and other normal expenses it cost us about $10k to keep it running for 3 years. New front end, three transmissions, rearend, steering column and a bottomless pile of carbs and EGR valves. What a POS. In its defense, the original purchaser was a dumbass. Half ton truck with 4.3 V6 (first year!), three on the tree, 2.73 gears and the towing package.

I replaced that truck with my current driver. 1990 F-150, 4.9, 5 sp, 3.08. It's at 370k miles and still runs and drives great. It doesn't even have any squeaks and rattles that couldn't be fixed by cleaning all the junk out of the cab. I've had to put some money in it, but nothing you wouldn't expect over 20 years and that mileage.

Black Sex

Established Member
I have a Tacoma and although its not a full size like you want but IMO they are great trucks. Toyota trucks have always been knowen for dependability and durability. I work at a GM dealership and IMO the interiors of the new silverados suck. IMO I would go F150 (great looking truck) or the Tacoma (which is built in Indiana). I would suggest driving the tundra

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
My last driver was a GMC and I can't imagine ever owning another one. In addition to the payments and other normal expenses it cost us about $10k to keep it running for 3 years. New front end, three transmissions, rearend, steering column and a bottomless pile of carbs and EGR valves. What a POS. In its defense, the original purchaser was a dumbass. Half ton truck with 4.3 V6 (first year!), three on the tree, 2.73 gears and the towing package.

I see alot of trucks/suv's in for the same problems. Some of them more than once

EZMachN

Established Member
I cringe when I see a statement like that. Just wait until that starternator goes out and needs replaced. Here's an actual conversation between student and instructor at a GM service class I went to:

Instructor: The starternator is great! It eliminates two easily replaced and fairly inexpensive parts with one part that's expensive and hard to replace.
Student: How much does it cost to replace?
Instructor: About $2k.
Student: What's the expected life?
INsructor: It's designed to last the life of the vehicle.
Sutdent: How long is the life of the vehicle?
Instructor: 36 months or 36k miles, whichever comes first.

Gotta love something put together like that.

And can you show me proof of this Silverado Startenator problem you speak of? And all my "hybrid parts" which includes everything involved has a 8 year/100k mile warranty. Anymore bullshit you wish to spew?

ta2d1

---->HI
Established Member
Just bought an 09 silverado z71 in december, so far I love it. I'm a ford guy allways have been and so the f-150 was my first choice but after driving both i found the silverado a much better drive. The price difference was a big thing too for the options that I wanted the ford was about 4k more expensive that added on to the fact that gm was offering some good deals at the years end i got a 40k truck for just over 30k with 0%. I will say one thing bad though I have the 5.3L with the 4spd and I wish i opt'd for the 6spd as the 4spd is a little hesitant at highway speeds and doesn't really want to downshift.

EZMachN

Established Member
*removed by moderator - keep your insults in Smackdown*

The whole point is you "cringe" over shit that is not even true and you believe it. You can not even verify there even is a straternator problem to begin with. But yet you "cringe" anyways. And the reason I own a hybrid is I do 90% city driving and I avg 20.5 mpg. I could even get more but that is normal driving. I also have the luxury of hauling a car, boat, and carry 6 grown adults comfortable. But I also wanted something that is practical to my driving. And I have not had the first problem out of the truck what so ever. I actually would buy a hybrid Tahoe next.

Users who are viewing this thread