Input needed on front aero help, Terminator

JamesHell

to poor to be fast
Established Member
I am going to work on the new mold over Thanksgiving week. Bruce gave me some input and I plan on getting the sail panels done. If the new mold works I was planning on having Bruce test it out more next year.
But if you really twist my arm I probably could get one out sooner.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I am going to work on the new mold over Thanksgiving week. Bruce gave me some input and I plan on getting the sail panels done. If the new mold works I was planning on having Bruce test it out more next year.

The%20Arm%20Twist.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

James:

There is no question it works. :-D It will be even better with side sail panels. Make it, let me test fit it and it's a done deal!!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

JamesHell

to poor to be fast
Established Member
Thanks Bruce!
Thats the beauty of it, I have a Cobra sitting and collecting dust for the winter. So fit is almost guaranteed. I am only concerned that 03 DSG Snake's car is to low for the new one I am going to make? The pic in my avatar has the other one still on, lets just just say that splitter came home with me in 3 pieces.

sprint200

Established Member
Have any of you heard of Chicane 23
Scroll down to the middle of the page and check out the links to "splitters" and "Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass Body Panels, Wings & Splitters"

If the economy ever improves (selfishly speaking specifically of my own tiny little "micro-economy":coolman:) I plan on getting the S197 splitter. I've run events with the Vapor colored #06 in the Chicane 23 photo gallery and the quality looked "top-notch" to me. I don't know if they make these in-house or who the vendor might be?

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Scroll down to the middle of the page and check out the links to "splitters" and "Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass Body Panels, Wings & Splitters"

If the economy ever improves (selfishly speaking specifically of my own tiny little "micro-economy":coolman:) I plan on getting the S197 splitter. I've run events with the Vapor colored #06 in the Chicane 23 photo gallery and the quality looked "top-notch" to me. I don't know if they make these in-house or who the vendor might be?

wing.jpg

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member

Wow, I just emailed them last night asking about thier splitters. Crazy.

I was asking how thier splitters work on a stock GT/V6 94-98 front.

"Hello Daniel,

Yes, the Carbon Fiber Splitter works very well with the GT nose. The GT nose is preferred over the Cobra.
The dive planes are normally used with the wider fenders and tires to help shield the air over the tires.

I searched and don’t have a picture at this time, but it would be very similar fit as with the 93 Cobra that I have attached a picture of.
This is a very functional splitter and we run them in both AI and have customers that run them in SCCA World Challenge.

Please let me know if you have any other questions."

The only thing that bothers me is how much overhang there is when not using the diveplanes/fenders. I suppose i can see if they can trim it down a inch or so on either side. I plan on making my own little canards/diveplans to push air away from the tires, something like a C6 Zo6 does along the leading edge of the front wheel well.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
This looks like the one I had for looks. It sits much to high for any downforce. I could make one like this also. I just dont have a mold for it, so it takes a lot more finish work.

Is the one you're working on going to be similar to the one Bruce posted above? Splitter molded into the chin piece?

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
This looks like the one I had for looks. It sits much to high for any downforce. I could make one like this also. I just dont have a mold for it, so it takes a lot more finish work.

I just sent back an email to Chicane asking how much downforce a splitter will add on a stock front with a moderate racing height. We'll see what they say.

Here's the Cobra they were talking about. Looks effective enough.
Fox_splitter2.JPG

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Yea, that was my first thought in looking at pics of their Cobra.

When I first put this on:

SNW%20RA%2009%20front%20aero.jpg

I told James it was a little higher than I wanted. It was about 2-1/2" to 3" above the ground. So he's going to lower the next one. I'd like it about 1-3/4" to 2". :-D

Air going under the car is ALWAYS bad. Some of those splitters in those other pictures are like 6" or 7" above the ground! :dw:

The lower the splitter the better. I'd also like to pan off the front bottom as well. But that's a lower priority.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

JamesHell

to poor to be fast
Established Member
Is the one you're working on going to be similar to the one Bruce posted above? Splitter molded into the chin piece?

The one pictured on Bruce's car above is made from the mold I have. But that one didn't release right. Thats why the finish looks like crap. I now have the right mold release wax and the next ones are going to use a different resin that is double the price but is supposed to be stronger and easier to work with.

Here is a pic of Bruce's splitter on my car for a test fit. It was maybe 2" off the ground.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
My email
"How does it attach to the bumper? I noticed on your silver AI car you have a Tiger Racing front which is taller and straight on the bottom, but the standard V6/Gt front isn't as low and has a curve on the side pods. Does this still produce downforce on a moderately lowered car (Race settings will about 1-1.5 lower than stock). Would it be possible to trim the ends of the splitter an inch or so on either side so there isn't as much overhang on front of the tires?

Thank you,
-Daniel
"

From Chicane 23

"Hello Daniel,

You can mount the turnbuckles anyway you wish, through the bumper or through the lower grille.

Yes, this will produce down force and normally fits just fine on the GT nose.
You can also trim the ends if you wish and just use the following product to repair the ends. We have done this on a number of cars.

Pilot Supplies, Avionics, and Homebuilt Aircraft Parts from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co.
Pilot Supplies, Avionics, and Homebuilt Aircraft Parts from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co.

Please let me know if you have an questions.

Best regards,
John G.
[email protected]
Chicane23
972-987-5640
OpenTrack or Race we have the parts for your experience

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
It's no surprise that a splitter low enough to really help on the track will not be street-friendly, and needs to be mounted on a car that corners somewhat flat. A challange for us who drive our cars to the track, and more. :rolling:

A couple of the ones above look like they'd be just fine on the street...for appearance. But I'd need to see proof that a splitter 6" off the ground has any effect before buying and mounting one.

Users who are viewing this thread