Input needed on front aero help, Terminator

JamesHell

to poor to be fast
Established Member
It's no surprise that a splitter low enough to really help on the track will not be street-friendly, and needs to be mounted on a car that corners somewhat flat. A challange for us who drive our cars to the track, and more. :rolling:

A couple of the ones above look like they'd be just fine on the street...for appearance. But I'd need to see proof that a splitter 6" off the ground has any effect before buying and mounting one.

You read my mind. Like the one I mentioned, it was hitting everywhere when I drove it to the track that day. Then it hit in 3 different spots on the track (you can here it!). Mind you my car is a nose heavy pig and rolls like you are talking.

I was thinking if I made the sides a little higher, and put aluminum skid strips on the bottom so when you rub it doesn't destroy it.:idea:

95PGTTech

Established Member
A better solution would be to make it removable, and install it at the track, or get a trailor for your car. At some point, you need to pick street or race.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
i do not like that chicane 23 front splitter, needs to be lower like Bruces

racebronco2

Established Member
It's no surprise that a splitter low enough to really help on the track will not be street-friendly, and needs to be mounted on a car that corners somewhat flat. A challange for us who drive our cars to the track, and more. :rolling:

A couple of the ones above look like they'd be just fine on the street...for appearance. But I'd need to see proof that a splitter 6" off the ground has any effect before buying and mounting one.

Even 6" off the ground will help as long as it also has i spoiler too. Mine is 4 3/4" off the ground and without front supports it ripped out of the front mounts at 130mph and was hitting the ground. The side were not hitting but the center was. I trimmed mine back about an 1 1/2 " or so in the middle only, so that i wouldn't scrape so much.

Last edited:

sprint200

Established Member
Like racebronco said, yes a splitter 6" off the ground WILL increase front downforce. If that's where your car is right now and you ADD a splitter with no other changes, you should have slightly less air going underneath and a LOT more downforce depending on the depth and shape of the splitter.

Why else did the guys at SVT spend any time at all tweaking the shape of the KR splitter in order to increase front downforce and balance the overall downforce of the car. Those cars sit ~6-1/4" off the ground just like mine did when stock.

Currently my OE splitter is 4-1/2" off the ground with the Hoosier slicks and just under 5" off the ground with the OE street tires. And there is very clear evidence that even with the 550# springs up front, I am still managing to lightly scrape the splitter. Now maybe that's happening on the streets with all of the drainage swails and what-not; but I don't think I want the car any lower even if it was a dedicated track car.

If you look at some of the other pictures on the Chicane 23 web site (a couple of good installation shots on an S197), you will see that their splitters don't end at the front fascia, but rather are a straight line across from wheel to wheel forming a tray. This should help in boxing in the radiator as well as help reduce some under hood pressure. The S197's have some plastic pieces that attach to the bottom of the fascia and the radiator support but they are not smooth and flat and do not extend from wheel well to wheel well.

And remember Bruce's experience with TOO MUCH downforce in the front. If he was puckering from the oversteer, most of the rest of us would be backing it into the tire walls:lol: I already have throttle induced oversteer at will; and most likely will be playing with the settings on my rear sway bar and/or going to 600# springs if I add this piece.

Pur Juic

track ho
Established Member
Like racebronco said, yes a splitter 6" off the ground WILL increase front downforce. If that's where your car is right now and you ADD a splitter with no other changes, you should have slightly less air going underneath and a LOT more downforce depending on the depth and shape of the splitter.

+1

My one-off splitter with side spats is currently about 6" off the ground. It has worked better than anticipated by allowing a fox-body mustang actually turn-in where ever I want to. With that said, I am currently looking into actually lowering it just a little but I don't want to go to low just in case of an off-road excursion trying to chase down that blue car next year.:poke::-D

I think for us 'open trackers' a splitter 2" off the ground has too many cons against it than pros for it. I would definitely want it as low as possible if I were doing w2w because then you need every little bit advantage you can get. It all depends on what the ultimate goal is. I don't want to dismantle the front end on my car everytime I take it in and out of the trailer.

my .02

Dar

racebronco2

Established Member
+1
My one-off splitter with side spats is currently about 6" off the ground. It has worked better than anticipated by allowing a fox-body mustang actually turn-in where ever I want to. With that said, I am currently looking into actually lowering it just a little but I don't want to go to low just in case of an off-road excursion trying to chase down that blue car next year.:poke::-D

I think for us 'open trackers' a splitter 2" off the ground has too many cons against it than pros for it. I would definitely want it as low as possible if I were doing w2w because then you need every little bit advantage you can get. It all depends on what the ultimate goal is. I don't want to dismantle the front end on my car everytime I take it in and out of the trailer.
my .02
Dar

Make sure you get the chase on video ..... or off-road excursion.

I have several freinds whom installed the cobra "R" splitter and everyone of them have damaged theirs not matter how careful they were. For those of us whom don't have the luxury of track dedicated car we have to make compromises.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well, I'm bringing this back from the dead! ;-) I know for fact there are not a lot of Terminator owners blocking off cooling (most likely they are looking for additional cooling) but I'm pretty confident I'm going to have plenty of cooling with my new splitter James made for me (thanks James) particularly with my boxed radiator cooling system.

Has anyone ever seen a filler panel like the photo below for a New Edge Cobra? :shrug: Before we fab one I'd like to check to see if there is anything currently available in the marketplace.

Any input would be appeciated!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Lumpydogs

Established Member
I have not seen anything like that other than decorative mesh mounted on the inside. Good Luck and keep us posted.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I've never seen one on a Terminator at any event I've ever done.

I would think all New Edge Cobras/Mustangs are the same? :shrug:

Nope.
Have you tested it back to back yet?

Jimmy:

Last year I did run the Daisy Seal-a-meal (see photo below) and it was fine at a fast track like Road America.

I had some cooling issues but they were more related to 'lack of expansion tank issues' and 'insufficient recovery bottle size issues'. Both of which have now been taken care of.

SNW%2009%20T7-1%20sm.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You have a very nice car for one.. I'm curious what size wheels are you running front and rear and what tire sizes?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
You have a very nice car for one.. I'm curious what size wheels are you running front and rear and what tire sizes?

Thanks. It's going to look a little better this year. I have a new and lower front splitter with side sail panels and a G-Stream C/F wing on the rear. Hopefully I won't have to run the Daisy seal-a-meal once I get this filler panel and figure out if I have enough cooling intake.

Wheels are CCW Classic 18"x10.5". Not sure which tires I was running in that pic but most likely they were Dunlop slicks 280-650 or Toyo RA-1's 275-40's.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Bruce, if you find you need more heat expelled, I would seriously consider the Tiger Racing vented hood, they have a glass one that's fairly reasonably priced that I am longingly adoring from afar. Some day. That and 14 inch brakes. lol.

The carbon fiber one is uber light but somewhat pricey.
You pretty much have everything except that.(cooling wise, and aero)
It enhances frontal down force as well so you may need to adjust the attack on the new wing.
Carol used to run it on her Mustang. (I think they used to use the same wing as well)
She's an amazing story and inspiration all on her own!

Carlos has made one up that is functionally nearly identical.(it causes drooling among us mere mortals)

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce, if you find you need more heat expelled, I would seriously consider the Tiger Racing vented hood, they have a glass one that's fairly reasonably priced that I am longingly adoring from afar. Some day. That and 14 inch brakes. lol.

The carbon fiber one is uber light but somewhat pricey.
You pretty much have everything except that.(cooling wise, and aero)
It enhances frontal down force as well so you may need to adjust the attack on the new wing.
Carol used to run it on her Mustang. (I think they used to use the same wing as well)
She's an amazing story and inspiration all on her own!

Carlos has made one up that is functionally nearly identical.(it causes drolling among us mere mortals)

Jimmy:

The party I bought the car from has a Tiger Racing (I believe) C/F hood and I may buy it from him if and when we can get together and agree on a price. ;-)

I tried to do this car within a certain budget. Although I got very close, it didn't happen. It went over-budget! Imagine that!

Well since then, the rev limitation issue I had has been corrected. Car will rev to 8k now if needed. It was built to turn 8,500. I'll rev limit it to 7,400 though.

We ripped out the Kenny Brown front suspension and replaced it with an Agent 47 SLA. So along with the new rear wing, by all calculations, this car should be rockin' the turns. :dancenana:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Oh dear GOD! I pity those mid west vette drivers!
That Agent 47 front suspension is no joke! Congratulations on a truly awesome build. Please forgive my ignorance but I never was able to find a thread on the engine build. Is it a 4.6, 5.4, or pushrod of some sort?
The link would surely do if you prefer not to clutter the "aero" here.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Can't tell if the Skinny Kids Piece is closed in the grille area.

If it is, I'm sure flush would be the most ideal:

cobranose1.jpg

SKU: 99-04-MUSTANG-03-COBRA-FRONT-BUMPER-CARBON-FIBER
$1,095.00

FITS 99'-04' MUSTANG
MOLDED POCKETS TO FIT STOCK HEADLIGHTS
DZUS STRIP FOR HOOD
ALL OTHER OPENINGS ARE CLOSED OFF
Price: $1,095.00

Also:

AIRSPLITTER-COBRA-03.jpg

SKU: 99-04-MUSTANG-03-COBRA-AIR-SPLITTER
$550.00

2003 COBRA AIR DAM SPLITTER MADE FROM CARBON AND KEVLAR
FITS OUR 03 COBRA NOSE
WILL BOND OR BOLT ON
ALSO AVAILABLE IN FIBERGLASS AT $425
MADE FOR ROAD RACING!
Price: $550.00

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Oh dear GOD! I pity those mid west vette drivers!
That Agent 47 front suspension is no joke! Congratulations on a truly awesome build. Please forgive my ignorance but I never was able to find a thread on the engine build. Is it a 4.6, 5.4, or pushrod of some sort?
The link would surely do if you prefer not to clutter the "aero" here.

Jimmy:

Yeah the Midwest Corvette guys are a sorry bunch. I almost feel sorry for them! Operative word, 'almost'!! :lol:

I bought the built car complete, sans motor.

Original thread here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/cobra-rs-25/527490-bruces-secret-weapon.html

I did not build the car, the car build is documented in seven pages in this link:

AI build up page

The motor started life as a Boss 302 block and ended up 366 cubes. The engine builder was given no budget, just one parameter, make the most power you can on 93 pump gas.

It's been a long journey and I hope to reap the fruits of this in a couple weeks when shakedown #3 takes place. Hopefully I can figure out how to work my Go-Pro camera by then!?!?! :dw:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Can't tell if the Skinny Kids Piece is closed in the grille area.

If it is, I'm sure flush would be the most ideal:

cobranose1.jpg

SKU: 99-04-MUSTANG-03-COBRA-FRONT-BUMPER-CARBON-FIBER
$1,095.00

FITS 99'-04' MUSTANG
MOLDED POCKETS TO FIT STOCK HEADLIGHTS
DZUS STRIP FOR HOOD
ALL OTHER OPENINGS ARE CLOSED OFF
Price: $1,095.00

Also:

AIRSPLITTER-COBRA-03.jpg

SKU: 99-04-MUSTANG-03-COBRA-AIR-SPLITTER
$550.00

2003 COBRA AIR DAM SPLITTER MADE FROM CARBON AND KEVLAR
FITS OUR 03 COBRA NOSE
WILL BOND OR BOLT ON
ALSO AVAILABLE IN FIBERGLASS AT $425
MADE FOR ROAD RACING!
Price: $550.00

Actually I'm storing a friend's 2000 R in my shop and he has a Skinny Kids front end on his car. The opening is smaller and tapers down but it's not closed off.

Users who are viewing this thread