Installing a 2013-14 Intercooler pump on 07-12 GT500

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hi everyone. A few months ago, I installed a 2013-14 OEM Intercooler pump on my 2011 GT500. I have been planning this mod for a few months prior, specifically using Tob's outstanding write up as a basis for my plans:

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/gt500-ic-he-pump-comparison.1013908/

The Trinity 13-14 pump, produced for FoMoCo by Peirberg Pump Technologies is a very good pump. The unit appears to be of a highly durable brushless design. One of the biggest drawbacks of simply swapping out an 07-12 pump for the Trinity unit is aeration of the IC fluid.

The 07-12 OEM intercooler system is a return to reservoir type system. This means that after the fluid does its job in the intercooler, it flows directly back to the reservoir before feeding the intercooler pump.

With the new high flow pump, there is so much more flow that it literally slams the fluid into the reservoir causing foaming and aeration of the intercooler fluid. I was going to try and just install the pump and leave it at that. After about a minute of running the pump, the fluid looked like a pink foam bath. At operating temperature and pressure, this condition will cause the fluid to vent to atmosphere. Not good when trying to lay down a great ET or lap time on a road course!

SVT engineers realized this issue and created a specialized hose routing. Employing a reservoir bypass configuration, it allowed a vast majority of the fluid to go straight from the intercooler to the pump. Doing this eliminated the potential for fluid aeration and system pressure spikes that pushed fluid past the the pressure cap.

I had already installed the excellent VMP dual fan, Triple pass heat exchanger kit on my car. This kit relocated the factory pump to a bracket behind the drivers side bumper cover. This guide will use this configuration as a basis for the mod.

PARTS LIST:

The factoy hoses from the H/E to the intercooler and the hose that originally ran from the reservoir to the 07-12 factory pump location are used in this mod. Hose routing here assumes the VMP Dual fan Triple pass kit has been installed.

Additionally, the Gates part numbers here are rated for duty in a cooling system. Hose and fittings rated for fuel/oil may not be durable, especially if you choose to use Ford Orange coolant (Dexcool).

8 feet Gates 3/4" inner diameter hose:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/28418/10002/-1

NOTE: The listing on Jegs is for a retail bulk roll of 250 ft. You can find this at most Oreilly's parts stores etc for under 2 bucks a foot.

2 Gates 3/4" OD T Connectors
http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/28635/10002/-1

1 Gates 90 degree pre-formed Hose:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/28474/10002/-1

Redline Water Wetter 1 12oz bottle:
https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter

2 3" Adel style clamps

10-12 Adjustable hose clamps. Gates makes some nice heat shrink style rubber/polymer bands that could make this install look extremely clean. For the sake of test fitting and ease of maintenance, I elected to use standard hose clamps.

I started with the Gates 90° 3/4" ID coolant elbow out of the intercooler. After much trimming and fitting, I placed a Gates 3/4" ID T-connector next. Since i have a 3x reservoir, the hose from the 90° T outlet to the reservoir inlet was tight, but some crafty cutting of the factory hose allowed me to get a good connection. Realistically, the factory size reservoir would work the best, as the initial T connector wouldnt have to be so close to the 90 degree bend of the intercooler output hose.

070570b47bc9d242d9dff86a6f5ad5b6.jpg
3cbfa07d38645ca63ec64d27975d4f75.jpg

I installed a T fitting after the reservoir, before the feed hose routed under the engine bay frame rail to the relocated pump. Again, the reservoir output hose was fitted to the 90° port of the T connector. A long Gates 3/4" ID hose connected the 2 T-connectors.

a1162e692359af4ce23b78e522288699.jpg
cbd0130691d2d36376e112562e6c1e36.jpg
09f3a6276cafc0d09e5a95f4aded1859.jpg

This configuration allowed me to have the majority of intercooler fluid flow from the intercooler to the Trinity pump unimpeded. The reservoir circuit off the 90° T's allowed me to fill and purge the air from the system but also prevents any fluid aeration.

The pump mounting was a little tricky, but some 3" adel style clamps helped install it to the VMP pump relo bracket. VMP sells a trinity pump kit for those that want a complete and easy pump install. Im stubborn so i did it in my own haha. I bought the Ford 13-14 pump sub harness but found out the male plug from the VMP fan kit was not going to fit the subharness. I elected to cut the two connector ends off and solder the harness ends together. Pump operation checked ok. Hooray!

eeaea408a0fc4d96f4699a9c2cda1418.jpg
98327530984ff8914d4c4e8c5d755e19.jpg

To purge the air, I had to remove the hose from the pump to the heat exchanger to get the fluid flowing. Holy hell, did it move fluid once it got flowing!! I can easily see why the engineers opted to upgrade this critical piece of the intercooler system for the Trinity.

Ive been running this for the last 2 months trouble and leak free. No data logs just yet, but Im confidant this upgrade is absolutely worth it to overall supercharger performance!

Ill post part numbers and links once i get home. Any questions, post em!

Attachments

• 7e64e65e87def50542bb5e04c59b5be6.jpg
    7e64e65e87def50542bb5e04c59b5be6.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,590
  • 3b1927c8d247856a6183b99f730fc277.jpg
    3b1927c8d247856a6183b99f730fc277.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 832
Last edited:

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Nice write up.
I actually run the factory hoses and I haven't noticed any problems.

Scratch that.

A couple of days ago my IAT2 shot up to 180*, the pump just stopped working. So I tapped it and it worked, it did this a couple of times until it died. At first I thought the pump failed, but then I opened the reservoir and a rush of air came out and the pump worked fine. So I guess you do need the extra plumping when installing this pump.

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Good write up. I'm running the pierburg on my '07 in the center location with the afco dual fan heat exchanger. haven't had the foaming issues you've described though. If you want to do a log comparison let me know.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been attempting to route my lines for this pump swap. I didn't like the way it was turning out because my lines were behind the fans, which will only serve to further heat the coolant. I had a hell of a time trying to replicate this.

bypass.jpg

I finally got it done, but I had to cut about 3/8" off the inlet for the degas tank. I was thinking there was a difference between older and newer GT500s, but I think it's because of the additional width of my C&R radiator. Anyway, thanks for posting this because I like how it's turning out. I ran out of hose to finish and I think silicone hose may work better for some of the bends, so I need to order some up.

Anyone that is spending the coin to upgrade the tubes in the intercooler to a larger diameter, should consider doing this if you're using one of these Roush oversized degas tanks. There is an aluminum sleeve inside the inlet that narrow the passage down to .58" on the inlet and the outlet. This won't hamper a stock intercooler system as the OEM tubes are .55". I opened mine up to .63, so had I not cut the inlet on the tank, I probably would not have noticed this becoming the restriction in my intercooler system. The 13-14 also has restrictor plug in the hose leading to the degas tank to make sure most of the flow is diverted to the bypass hose. I tapped the t-fitting going to the degas tank and installed a plastic plug from a fountain pump I had lying around and cut off the end. The i.d. on it is .4" You could use a brass plug and drill the center. I had a plastic insert I got from McMaster Carr to do that, but there was no clearance to put it in that short run of hose.

Hope you don't mind me adding this to your thread. Because of your pic, I was persistent to make that connection. My advice to anyone doing this, measure twice and take your time. If you need to cut small amounts of hose for final fitting, use a metal adapter or bolt inside the hose and use a box cutter.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@Catmonkey , absolutely grateful for your addition to the thread. Everyone who has experience doing this and adding will only help the community down the line. Great work around! That initical 90 T out of the intercooler was an SOB. Much easier to use the factory size reservoir as it will put that T further from the 90 degree bend.

I definitely found all the tiny cuts my razor made in me when I washed my hands after this, lol. But, its a worthwhile upgrade at controlling IAT2 temps with an OEM quality and tested high flow pump.

Im just honestly surprised AFCO or VMP havent come out with a Stage 2 Heat exchanger kit with a pre-made bypass hose and the 13-14 pump.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I also ended up cutting 1/2 of the barb on the T to be able to get them closer to the hose bends so as not to disrupt flow. I used the Gates Power Grip clamps that are a heat shrink clamp to clean up the install on those pieces I don't intend to take apart. I'll post up pics when I'm finished. In order to keep everything factory looking, I also found spring clamps at McMaster Carr that are identical to the spring clamps in the intercooler system. Ford used a someone different spring clamp (silver clamps) on the fittings up top.

Canadianshelby

This thread has been very helpful for me. Thanks guys. I’m going to be doing this upgrade to my 08 GT500 that will see some track duty. I called vmp (Going to using their supercharger) and asked them about an aeration issue when running the 13/14 pump in the earlier cars and they had no idea what I was talking about. I thought that was odd.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
This thread has been very helpful for me. Thanks guys. I’m going to be doing this upgrade to my 08 GT500 that will see some track duty. I called vmp (Going to using their supercharger) and asked them about an aeration issue when running the 13/14 pump in the earlier cars and they had no idea what I was talking about. I thought that was odd.

At first I was skeptical about aeration, especially since I had the 13/14 pump for more than 6 months and nothing happened. Until it did.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member

VMP is a decent place for support. Great parts, but some of the... finer details of mods arent something they are knowledgable on.

The bypass reservoir hose is going to be great for 85% of the 07-12 GT500 owners out there looking to upgrade their intercooling system with the 13-14 pump and a triple pass dual fan heat exchanger.

Hard core drag racers and road racers will want to look into trunk mount ice tank reservoirs and remote pumps.

fullboogie

Established Member
VMP has gone to shit in the last year, and not just in tech support. I've sent countless thousands their way over the years but that's come to an end. They really ****ing pissed me off earlier this year and lost me as a customer.

ozzygt500

Established Member
VMP has gone to shit in the last year, and not just in tech support. I've sent countless thousands their way over the years but that's come to an end. They really ****ing pissed me off earlier this year and lost me as a customer.
the techinal service really sucks !!!!!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Care to share

96gt02

Established Member
VMP lost a lot of good employees this year and was backed up forever over the busy season, doesnt surprise me but I still think they make some of the best products

fullboogie

Established Member
Care to share

Over the last 5 years I've bought a blower, injectors, TB, three full paid tunes, CAI, oil separator, pulleys, harmonic balancer, Thump tensioner, BAP, and tons of other stuff. Dozens of parts. Earlier this year I placed an order online (as I always do) for a $600 alternator. A few days later some rude woman called to say they would not fill the order because she "didn't recognize me." I told her I'd ordered many thousands of dollars in parts, so please look up my account by name, email, phone number, whatever. She said she didn't need to do that because she didn't recognize my name, so I had to scan the front and back of both my driver's license AND my debit card, send them to her by email, and wait for some period of time for her to verify it. I told her she just lost all my business. I called Nations and got my alternator along with great customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread