is a GT500 a Cobra?

_Snake_

Established Member
I won't disagree with the above. However, Shelby Cobra GT500 would still have shortened to GT500 back then. Not Cobra. Especially with the AC Cobra in production at or around the same time.

Like I said before, call a GT350/500 whatever you want. Just understand that most folks will chuckle behind your back if you call it a Cobra.

Go to a muscle car museum and ask to see the 67 Cobra. I bet you won't be looking at a GT500.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
In my case, I've only had one person ask me about my 'cobra' and that was a girl in a drive through. If I refer to my car it's 'my mustang,' 'my GT500,' or 'the Shelby.' I do not ever call it a 'Cobra.' Cobra's are special cars in their own right, just like GT500's, but they are different cars. All that being said, my cars name is "Gracie." If you say it slowly, you can kick me in the ass for everything else I said in my post. Since I don't have a sig pic anymore, my car is silver grey metallic with black stripes. That's why Gracie works.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
2003/2004 cobra > Shelby mustang.

1200x630bf.jpg

txrunner

Established Member
I drove to cars & coffee this morning with my son in my 03 Cobra. I parked next to a 2014 GT500. A lady in a Shelby T-shirt walked up to me thinking the GT500 was my car & told me that I should join their Shelby club. When I told her that the Cobra was my car & not the GT500 she replied "Oh, they get kinda touchy about the Cobra / GT500 thing". We talked about cars for another minute but I thought it was a funny comment

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I drove to cars & coffee this morning with my son in my 03 Cobra. I parked next to a 2014 GT500. A lady in a Shelby T-shirt walked up to me thinking the GT500 was my car & told me that I should join their Shelby club. When I told her that the Cobra was my car & not the GT500 she replied "Oh, they get kinda touchy about the Cobra / GT500 thing". We talked about cars for another minute but I thought it was a funny comment

I have never been, but would like to take mine there and see what it's about. If you go again hit me up. Maybe I'll video asking everyone there about the cobra/gt500 thing, like a man on the street segment.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
My insurance card says Mustang Cobra/Shelby...

I think they classify vehicles in that manner. If it's a higher end car than a GT or v6 then it's classified as Shelby/Cobra since so many of each are insured. It keeps from inundating the options menu with too many sub models.

Welcome btw

txrunner

Established Member
I have never been, but would like to take mine there and see what it's about. If you go again hit me up. Maybe I'll video asking everyone there about the cobra/gt500 thing, like a man on the street segment.

First sat. Of every month. There was supposed to be a new Ford GT there today. (No show)

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
This topic on this site is just for laughs.
This topic on TeamShelby gets somewhat serious.
This topic on Saacforum.com gets really hardcore.
The window sticker vehicle description for the 11 is Shelby.
The window sticker vehicle description for the 14 is Shelby GT500.
My insurance co. knows they are not just Mustangs, & charges me accordingly.
" The AC Cobra, sold as the Shelby Cobra in the United States of America, "
is not based on a Mustang..

Users who are viewing this thread