It happened cylinder 8! Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

01bluesnake

Established Member
At higher RPM than stock with what the Boss manifold runs, the stock pistons can be hurt easier from miss shifts or over rev(depending on situation) when hitting fuel cut. If you tap the limiter, usually no big deal, but if you hit it hard enough to wear the car shuts you down damage can be done. If for example he did a 3-2 instead of a 3-4 you can stretch rods, bent valves from piston contact from float, lift a ring land from fuel cut (similar to 2 step)

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
also what 5.0 hasnt seen alot of high RPM pulls? 50% of the guys on the forum have boss intakes. there is a ton of high revving there. why do i feel im the only one that states the obvious... im not trying to bash anyone. but i will state the truth.

The limiter is their to protect you from over revving but not stop it. Cutting fuel is also what it will do which is dangerous. Been an issue for many years and not new at all.

Rev your motor high and keep tapping it off the limiter. See what happens. Go out and shift your car high but wait till you hit the limiter every time. See what happens.

That plus a motor that already runs hot with a thermostat that doesn't open til 209degrees + a thin ring = your issue

At higher RPM than stock with what the Boss manifold runs, the stock pistons can be hurt easier from miss shifts or over rev(depending on situation) when hitting fuel cut. If you tap the limiter, usually no big deal, but if you hit it hard enough to wear the car shuts you down damage can be done. If for example he did a 3-2 instead of a 3-4 you can stretch rods, bent valves from piston contact from float, lift a ring land from fuel cut (similar to 2 step)

Couldn't have said it any better.

Last edited by a moderator:

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
This is interesting... Been reading every post. My buddy is about to get a 5.0. Some thinks its a stock issue, some think its aftermarket, and some think its the driver. In to see what comes from this

kingnut

Established Member
The limiter is their to protect you from over revving but not stop it. Cutting fuel is also what it will do which is dangerous. Been an issue for many years and not new at all.

Rev your motor high and keep tapping it off the limiter. See what happens. Go out and shift your car high but wait till you hit the limiter every time. See what happens.

That plus a motor that already runs hot with a thermostat that doesn't open til 209degrees + a thin ring = your issue

first off if he was running your tune, does your tune not cut fuel at high RPM's like shaun (AED) had mentioned early in this thread? he said he had shared that info with any and everyone (tuners) because that was a major factory tuning problem. so hitting the rev limiter on occasion shouldnt be a problem.

im pretty sure no one on this forum constantly bounces off the rev limiter during every shift they make. so that point is asinine.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Many aftermarket tuners now have the knowledge to prevent this issue from happening under the circumstances that would cause it to happen in the stock tune, and some of us can eliminate the issues under any circumstance all together.

is this due to aed originally identifying it, and then sharing it with the rest of the mustang community? because if so... :bowdown: :thumbsup:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Again. the OP stated that after he hit the limiter street racing, the car started acting up. I posted this earlier.

This has happened before to many people. Takes 1 screw up. I am guilty of this myself. They cut fuel. This is bad. It is also not a new thing to ford.

Shaun also called me after this thread was made and we talked about the issue and the actual mechanical side of it which he agreed on. Still waiting on the spec sheet for him to post up that he said he would. This whole situation was a mechanical problem that has been around since they were released in 11 to the public.

Thermostat opening at 209degrees + aluminum piston w/ 6thousand ring + a 4v head that doesn't flow all the way to the back of the motor (why head cooling mods were made) + ECT + High RPM = breaking of ring land.

The OP and I have been talking non stop and he is well informed. In his own words "thank you for continually helping me"

If you would like any more information, please shoot me a call Monday or PM. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
its very easy to hit the wrong gear. im sure any stock 8cyl issues were caused by this. im so sick of people crying.

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
Time to get an 03-04s cobra OP.. I had enough of this new 5.0s :) Just kidding op I had too lol. Just kidding sean, hope to see you on the road soon buddy!

Dr Boost

Established Member
In regards to these engines running hot.
Are there aftermarket thermostats available?
If so, I have not seen much discussion about running a lower t-stat ( 160- 180 range). Coming from a Turbo Grand National this was one of the first mods done along with the tune. And the tuner required it.
Am I missing something? Why dont we do this?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
best post so far. my wife does this to me but it takes her about a year.

Yeah don't take out a loan... Just find a way to make $100 and do that about 70 times and you'll have enough money.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Time to get an 03-04s cobra OP.. I had enough of this new 5.0s :) Just kidding op I had too lol. Just kidding sean, hope to see you on the road soon buddy!

im a creature of comfort.. spoiled after being with premium package, bullet proof, aluminator mock up with possibly a baby bump in compression to 11:5 and hopfully not ever have to worry about this again no matter what route i go with the car in the future..

and yes guys... though those tb offers are ooo too tempting, i ithink i just might save for the built motor, whenever that comes... I'm gonna have to strike a deal with the devil or something to get this thing back on the road as soon as possible..

also when it comes to going to out to finally get the engine pulled for the work. should i not even drive it to the shop and get it towed in hopes of salvages the block.

last question, should i look at such options as comp cams. Since ill already be in the engine taking care of the short block? Or is it still a bit more labor intensive and pricey?

Graboid

Established Member
If so, I have not seen much discussion about running a lower t-stat ( 160- 180 range). Coming from a Turbo Grand National this was one of the first mods done along with the tune. And the tuner required it.

Yes there are some available. I believe I have a 170 in the garage waiting to be put on....with a ton of other crap as usual :/. Guess its better than not having it at all lol.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Running n/a you dont want to lower the tstat because the car will not be getting to proper temp to run as well as with the stock tstat. If you your looking for better cooling for the back of the heads mmr has a kit that looks nice an does what its suppose to cycle the water flow. That an a proper tune from a tuner that has the fix like aed you shouldn't have any issues.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Running n/a you dont want to lower the tstat because the car will not be getting to proper temp to run as well as with the stock tstat. If you your looking for better cooling for the back of the heads mmr has a kit that looks nice an does what its suppose to cycle the water flow. That an a proper tune from a tuner that has the fix like aed you shouldn't have any issues.

Yeah I plan on getting this mmr head cooling mod once the projects gets started, even with the forged parts I think it's a good precautionary measure after this horror story..

Shaun@AED

Shaun also called me after this thread was made and we talked about the issue and the actual mechanical side of it which he agreed on. Still waiting on the spec sheet for him to post up that he said he would.

Page 2 post 44

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Again. the OP stated that after he hit the limiter street racing, the car started acting up. I posted this earlier.

This has happened before to many people. Takes 1 screw up. I am guilty of this myself. They cut fuel. This is bad. It is also not a new thing to ford.

Shaun also called me after this thread was made and we talked about the issue and the actual mechanical side of it which he agreed on. Still waiting on the spec sheet for him to post up that he said he would. This whole situation was a mechanical problem that has been around since they were released in 11 to the public.

Thermostat opening at 209degrees + aluminum piston w/ 6thousand ring + a 4v head that doesn't flow all the way to the back of the motor (why head cooling mods were made) + ECT + High RPM = breaking of ring land.

The OP and I have been talking non stop and he is well informed. In his own words "thank you for continually helping me"

If you would like any more information, please shoot me a call Monday or PM. Thanks

So if I bounce off the rev limiter while burning out or miss 1 shift going down the track, this can happen no matter who's tune you are running?

-Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread