Just Had LASIK Done...

AznStanger3v

King of the LOL
Established Member
I'm stoked. I'm getting PRK done mid-March FOR FREE thanks to the Navy. Congrats on taking the plunge. I can't wait to be able to see for the first time.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Be aware that not everyone can have Lasik surgery. But as you can see from the testimonies of those who had it done, it is a wonderful procedure. Here is some helpful info if you're considering having it done. This comes from the Flaum Eye Institute Refractive Surgery Center.

How does LASIK work?
LASIK (laser in situ keratomileusis) is a laser vision correction technique that uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea and correct a wide range of nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.
First, Dr. MacRae uses an instrument called a microkeratome to create a thin surface flap of your cornea; this takes a few seconds. Then the excimer laser, which has been pre-programmed with your exact correction, applies a rapid, cool ultraviolet light that precisely removes a very small amount of tissue from the inner portion of the cornea. These short laser pulses correct the curvature of the cornea, allowing images to be focused clearly on the retina. The flap is then smoothed back into its original position where it quickly bonds back in place, usually in three to five minutes, restoring a smooth, intact surface. LASIK has been performed for nearly 20 years.

Am I a candidate for LASIK?
The decision to have laser vision correction depends on the results of a thorough preoperative evaluation. Just as you are a unique individual, each eye requires unique and careful examination with the best technology. At Flaum Eye Institute Refractive Surgery Center, we complete a 2 1/2 hour, 27 point evaluation to determine whether or not you are a safe candidate for laser vision correction. It is important to understand that not everyone is a suitable candidate for LASIK. Some basic requirements include:

A stable eyeglass prescription for at least two years.
Best corrected vision of at least 20/40.
Healthy cornea.
No active eye disease.
Over 18 years old.

Am I too old to have LASIK?
Although there’s no real “maximum age” for laser vision correction, we would first need to determine that the overall health of your eyes is good, and that your vision difficulties are not being caused by cataracts or some other eye disease. Before the decision is made to proceed with laser vision correction, your vision needs to be stable. Depending on your age, you may need reading glasses after treatment. Nearly everyone needs reading glasses by their mid-40s. This is known as presbyopia. Presbyopia is a natural change in the lens inside of the eye and is not influenced by refractive surgery. If you are wearing bifocals or readings glasses now, you will still need reading glasses after LASIK. A treatment option with refractive surgery is known as monovision. In a monovision treatment, the patient’s dominant eye is corrected for distance vision with their non-dominant eye being left slightly nearsighted. Although not a replacement for reading glasses, this preserves a degree of near vision clarity.

How safe is LASIK?
The FDA has approved LASIK as a safe and effective procedure. It is important, however, to remember that LASIK is not the right choice for everybody. Some people are not appropriate candidates, and if treated could have less than optimal results. It is important that you receive a thorough pre-operative evaluation to determine if LASIK is right for you.

Does LASIK hurt?
No. The actual treatment itself is painless. You will be given plenty of anesthetic drops to completely numb the eye. You may feel a light pressure sensation around your eye, and after the procedure is finished you will feel a sensation our patients describe as gritty or like a lash in your eye for a few hours…but most people experience very little pain. We’ll give you a prescription for a pain reliever should you need it, but most people need nothing more than Tylenol or Advil and a little rest time.

How long does it take to do LASIK?
The actual procedure usually takes less than 10 minutes per eye. Depending on your prescription, and the amount of correction needed, the laser itself only takes 20-50 seconds to correct your vision. However, you should plan on being in the office for approximately an hour-and-a-half on your day of surgery.

How accurate is LASIK?
Based on clinical data from the FDA and our personal experience from Dr. MacRae's Results, LASIK is very accurate. Careful consideration of your needs and a complete preoperative evaluation help Flaum Eye Institute Refractive Surgery Center achieve excellent results with the vast majority of our patients. Even with our advanced technology and experience, approximately 1 in 10 patients may need to have a retreatment in one eye to achieve their best uncorrected vision. This is because we are treating human tissue and there is always some variability in how each individual’s eye will heal.

What if I blink or move during the procedure?
Although everyone shares these concerns, we take measures to ensure that moving or blinking is not a problem. Your eye will be held open with a holder supporting your lid so that you can’t blink. The holder is placed immediately before the treatment and removed immediately afterward. Lying still during the treatment is another common concern. The bed of the laser has a contoured headrest with an indent, which allows the back of your head to rest securely, but comfortably in place. During the treatment itself, Dr. MacRae will gently hold your head in position to help keep you steady. He also uses a focusing mechanism to assure that the treatment is precisely centered. Your job is simply to watch a blinking target light. While you are doing this, the laser’s computer will also be using its tracking system to monitor the position of your eye. The eye tracker adjusts the laser treatment to follow the small movements everyone’s eyes make during the procedure.

How soon after the surgery will I be able to see?
Visual recovery varies from one day to one week. The majority of patients resume normal activities one to two days following surgery but it may take 1 to 2 months for your vision to fully stabilize. Although everyone is a little different, the vast majority of our LASIK patients achieve legal driving vision or better, the very next day. That is one of the most exciting advantages of the LASIK procedure; clear vision comes in quickly. Initially, your vision might not be crisp and may fluctuate slightly. This is perfectly normal and should improve gradually day by day.

When will I be able to drive?
On the day of your surgery it is important to have a driver take you home. You will also need a driver to bring you to your post-operative appointment the day after surgery. In most cases, patients are able to drive by the end of that day.

What are the possible complications?
It’s perfectly normal to be concerned about the “worst case scenario”. In nearly 17,000 cases, Dr. MacRae has never had a patient experience severe vision loss as a result of refractive surgery. With an experienced surgeon, the procedure itself is relatively safe. The excimer laser is computer controlled, pre-programmed with your treatment data and activated by Dr. MacRae. Statistically, there is a remote possibility of the loss of vision due to corneal infection or inflammation which we address by maintaining sterile conditions in the laser suite and by instructing you to use medicated drops for the first week after the procedure. Fortunately, we have never had a patient lose vision from these problems. That being said, refractive surgery has its risks and we will explain them to you at the end of your evaluation. Potential complications include: Under or over correction, corneal flap healing problems, pain or discomfort, dry eye, hazy vision, sensitivity to light, glare at night, loss of best corrected visual acuity, or infection. The majority of patients who are safe candidates for treatment have a trouble-free experience. Before considering surgery, we carefully evaluate each patient to understand whether or not you are a good candidate. The doctors will be happy to discuss any concerns that you may have. Our goal is for you to understand as much about this treatment as possible before surgery so that you can be comfortable with your treatment options. Since so many other surgeons turn to Dr. MacRae to treat complications when they do occur, know that your eyes will receive the best of care with Flaum Eye Institute Refractive Surgery Center.

I’ve heard that the laser causes night vision problems…is this true?
Starbursts, glare and halos at night can be caused by several things. The first is when an inadequate diameter area of the cornea is treated. The treated area must approximate your pupil size under dim light. We analyze pupil size four different ways to make certain that your treatment area is large enough. The second cause of night vision problems is the use of older generation lasers and poor treatment designs. Dr. MacRae custom designs each patient’s treatment so that the optimal optics can be obtained. The new “flying spot” lasers, such as our Bausch and Lomb Technolas 217z, apply a much smoother treatment and blend the region between treated and untreated cornea better. The third potential cause of night vision problems after LASIK is the presence of subtle optical imperfections known as Higher Order Aberrations in the visual system. All patients seen at Flaum Eye Institute Refractive Surgery Center are tested with the Zywave Wavefront Sensor to detect any pre-existing higher order aberrations. When present, a form of LASIK known as Zyoptix Customized Vision Correction might be recommended for you. Dr. MacRae worked extensively with the Bausch and Lomb engineers to design this treatment. This treatment pattern reduces the incidence of starbursting. Very few of our patients report any night vision problems after their first month post-op.

How long will the effect of LASIK last?
In most cases, the treatment effect of laser vision correction is permanent, especially if your eyeglass prescription was stable before treatment. If there is something in your genetics that says your prescription will change in the future, having surgery now will not prevent that from occurring. In our experience, a change like this is very uncommon. If necessary though, you may be able to be re-treated many years later should that occur.

How often will I see the doctor following my surgery?
Your postoperative appointments will be scheduled:

One day
One week
One month
Three months
And six months (optional)

More frequent appointments may be scheduled as needed. The doctors at Flaum Eye Institute Refractive Surgery Center will be available to see you whenever they or you feel that it is necessary.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Never pick a surgeon or surgery based on price.

I had PRK in 2003 and although my recovery was bad, the results are stellar.

I had planned on going to Australia in 2004 and didn't want to risk losing my contacts on a different continent, so I had the procedure almost a year before the trip.

Glad it went well, I can't recommend this highly enough.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
When did you ask him about? My vision is terrible too. I wear those hard gas permeable contacts. Freaking sucks Lol.

tap-a-keg

This was probably about 6-7 months back. I wear glasses, and even when paying extra to have them thin, they're noticeably thick.

04Machsy

Established Member
I have thought about lasik for a couple years now, I just can't bring myself to do it. I stick with my contacts for now

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
I go under the beam friday and FYI this is the last year that you can still do Flex plan FSA pretax to pay for lasik.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
I wanted to get lasik about 4 years ago but when they checked me they said my cornea was to thin on my right eye.

My question is this, does intraLasik be an option for me? Or is it the same as regular lasik in that they wouldnt be able to do it because of my think cornea??
Thanks to anyone who knows.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Does anybody know the military limitations? I've asked several military doctors but I keep getting conflicting answers. My particular concern is I don't want an awesome procedure like this to possibly prevent me from doing something really high speed in the future i.e. Free fall or scuba.

boatcop1

Established Member
Does anybody know the military limitations? I've asked several military doctors but I keep getting conflicting answers. My particular concern is I don't want an awesome procedure like this to possibly prevent me from doing something really high speed in the future i.e. Free fall or scuba.

Are you already in the military? I am a recruiter for the CG, I can tell you that all the services use the same DOD medical manual. Lasik is 99% disqualifying unless certain measures are met pre and post op. if you are already in the military i have never heard of it preventing anyone from doing something they want. As long a your vision is correctable to 20/20 and you have normal color vision there's not too much you cannot do.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Are you already in the military? I am a recruiter for the CG, I can tell you that all the services use the same DOD medical manual. Lasik is 99% disqualifying unless certain measures are met pre and post op. if you are already in the military i have never heard of it preventing anyone from doing something they want. As long a your vision is correctable to 20/20 and you have normal color vision there's not too much you cannot do.

Yes I'm in the military, going on 9 years. Free fall and scuba have special limitations. I'm not slotted for either of those schools currently but I could possibly get an opportunity in the future. I imagine the limitations are the same as they would be for a pilot but I've never been given a solid answer.

Fuerza

Established Member
Yes I'm in the military, going on 9 years. Free fall and scuba have special limitations. I'm not slotted for either of those schools currently but I could possibly get an opportunity in the future. I imagine the limitations are the same as they would be for a pilot but I've never been given a solid answer.

Check in Professionalsoldiers.com it's a website ran by former SF guys, they may be able to answer your question.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
had mine done, one eye is 20/15, the other is supposed to be 20/20 but I feel like its more 20/30. I can tell the difference between the left and right with the eyes closed. Together though they are great so that is all that matters I guess. No contacts for the win!

edit: the weaker one is my dominant one so that may be the reason

Last edited:

boatcop1

Established Member

Ok gotcha. Who does the physical's for those programs? Thos are the people you need to talk to. Also get yourself into the medical manuals and maybe you can come up with something. I wouldn't do it until I had confirmation either way so imo your right to hold off. Good luck.

OU812

Established Member

PRK was the only approved surgery for pilots in the Air Force up until about a year ago, they finally approved them them for LASIK. They had to do a ton of testing to make sure the pressure wouldn't cause issues with the cornea flap that has to be cut. I was scheduled to get mine done when I was stationed in Charleston but I wasn't going to be able to fly to the desert for 6 months so I decided to hold off.

One of my really close friends who is PJ had PRK done about a year ago, if they'll let those guys get it then you should be good to go.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Uugghh I want this done so bad

Sent from compton while avoiding prostitutes, drive by's, and jehovahs witness' while using an android phone

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
holy crap a lot of people were/are blind according to this thread.

I've had 20/15 my whole life....now the problem is i'm like 70% deaf....and after 3 surgeries nothing has fixed it.

I look at it as one day I'll just be able to look at hot chicks, and not have to listen to them

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member

PRk would work for you; there's no flap at all. When I got mine, my prescrip required more cornea than I had, so they went with PRK.

The recovery takes longer, and it's not much fun for a week. The 'wound' in LASIK is covered by the flap, with PRK (a more primitave procedure) your cornea is reshaped to sorta a permanent, organic contact lens.

PRK is also used for people with thin corneas or very bad vision.

LASIK would work on these people, but it wouldn't leave enough cornea to fix a cataract, should one develop later in life.

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
For all those who are "afraid" to have the procedure, or the thought of the procedure is bothering you...it's really not as bad as it sounds. The thought of the procedure is worse than the procedure itself. I felt like the procedure was only 2 minutes. I'm sure a lot of that was the Valium, but that's what it's there for. The doctors do an excellent job walking you through the procedure as they're doing it.

I had the procedure Thursday morning, and I can see excellent as of right now. Bright lights are still sensitive and night time does have a few halo's and glare, but not as much as they brought me on to believe. The only pain in the ass right now is I still have the "gritty/foreign object" in my eye feel. I'm using my prescription drops (2 different eye drops) every 4 hours, and re-wetting drops every 10-15 minutes. This is all normal and the doc said every day that goes by, as long as I don't overwork my eyes in the next few days, it will get better.

So far I'm EXTREMELY happy with my results.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
So Ive been digging around in professionalsoldiers and trying to find updated info for lasik limitations in the military via google. It seems lasik is still a disqualifyer for MFF and CDQC but for everything else its fine including Airborne school. This of course was going off information over a year old. I'm going to try contacting the school house for the answer seeing as how this kind of stuff changes often.

Users who are viewing this thread