just looking for opinions

Stupercharged

Established Member
should i trade in my 04 vert with 40k miles for an 02 lightning with JLP motor, 2.3 kenne bell, built trans + all supporting mods? (full mod list is in the lightning section) just wondering what you all would do or what you think about this? the truck is 20k and they would give me 19k for my car.

Stupercharged

Established Member
idk numbers on the truck but with the kenne bell and built motor im assuming ~550rwhp. do you think my cobra with ~475rwhp would be faster than this lightning?

cobracide

Established Member
A truck has the aerodynamics of a brick, higher center of gravity - much better off with a Cobra.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Trucks can tow and haul things. They're better built, and more reliable.(even though we are talking about heavily boosted performance vehicles) I know stock a L's motor will only handle about the same power than any N/A Modular will reliably,(around 450 whp. I believe their rods are there weak link) but trucks are just built strong. I also see alot of L owners upgrade their trannies. I'm not sure how strong they are.

I know a L uses a Super Duty's rearend, and brakes. I would assume you would never have a rearend failer with a Lightning. Atleast not from too much power.

I do love my Cobra though, and plan on either getting a L or a FX4 to go along with it when I finish paying it off.

Stupercharged

Established Member
thats the thing is i want both haha. should i get the built lightning now since they dont come around much or keep puttin miles on my cobra and wait for another lightning?

Stupercharged

Established Member
damn i didnt think it would be this hard haha. ok whats harder to come by, a fully built lightning or a lower mileage (i.e. 20-30k miles) cobra vert?

yellow03cobra

Established Member
damn i didnt think it would be this hard haha. ok whats harder to come by, a fully built lightning or a lower mileage (i.e. 20-30k miles) cobra vert?

buy the one you've dream about having the most. Also take into account what you would owe in either case. Does the lose of a back seat matter to you? And the convertible top? Those things alone should be able to make up your mind.

Stupercharged

Established Member
i like my vert and i like my 6 speed but i can sacrifice that for a bit if there wont be another truck like this for a long time, thats my big thing. i havent seen many fully built lightnings for $20k so im wondering if i should jump on this while i have the chance. i never use my back seats so that doesnt matter either. my payments would actually be $30 a month cheaper if i bought the lightning. it seems like every cobra for sale has intake, exhaust, pulley, and is selling for 18k-22K depending on mileage so im thinking i could find another vert without too much trouble. i wont trade mine in tho if you all dont think this is a good deal cuz i have no experience with lightnings.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
i like my vert and i like my 6 speed but i can sacrifice that for a bit if there wont be another truck like this for a long time, thats my big thing. i havent seen many fully built lightnings for $20k so im wondering if i should jump on this while i have the chance. i never use my back seats so that doesnt matter either. my payments would actually be $30 a month cheaper if i bought the lightning. it seems like every cobra for sale has intake, exhaust, pulley, and is selling for 18k-22K depending on mileage so im thinking i could find another vert without too much trouble. i wont trade mine in tho if you all dont think this is a good deal cuz i have no experience with lightnings.

depending on the build quality and power output I would say it's for you then. Test drive it you'll know if it's for you. I would think a nice lightning would be harder to come buy if you plan on buying another cobra down the road.

Stupercharged

Established Member
im thinking ill get the L and start saving up for a nice cobra again. before i buy tomorrow i will ask for them to speak with the previous owner and get dyno numbers and tuning information and hopefully receipts. right now its running on 114 octane so i need a 91 tune asap if i buy it as well!

Dane

Established Member
If you need a truck how about buying a beater for a few grand and keep the cobra if you plan on saving to buy another. Does sound like a badass Lightning though.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Zero interior room in a Lightning has always kept me away. The only way I'd venture that direction is with an extra cab Hardley F150 and debadge/repaint.

futureSVT

Established Member
keep the cobra and wait for the raptors to start hitting the used car market.. thats what i would do.. but the lightnings are a badass truck for sure..

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
I've owned both and although I loved the Lightning and needed a truck at the time, I would take the Cobra anyday. I have a DD 96 Silverado truck when I need to haul or tow.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
I've owned both and although I loved the Lightning and needed a truck at the time, I would take the Cobra anyday. I have a DD 96 Silverado truck when I need to haul or tow.
X2 !!!!!!!!!! except i have a 95 exploder to haul stuff & not worry about scrathing it up.. if a L. i wouldnt wanna haul much for the reason i just posted above

but go drive the L. if you have doubts. i almost bought a L. over the 03 AZ mach-1 but the having a manual was the reason i bought the mach-1

the vert top & 6spd will be the reason from here on "for me" i probalay wont ever have a L. if have to to get rid of my cobra :beer:

Stupercharged

Established Member
thanks guys im just worried that ill be losing to much value in my cobra since is my daily driver and already has 40,000 miles. if i bought the lightning i would keep for a long time and just start saving for a cobra to be my weekend car. do you think its reasonable to let the cobra go before it loses too much value?

Users who are viewing this thread