Just watched Top Gear

mike69440

Established Member
assuming usa. usa top gear blows...

USA top gear blows, Sucks too!

Other countries have "Top Gear" shows, and from what I see the poduction value, everything about them are not in the same league as UK show. anyone car enjoy TOP gear UK, only gear heads can bear watching the others.

DMotorsports

Established Member
Like any good automotive "journalist" they don't want to offend the nice people who loaned them those cars to romp on. Therefore everyone gets to go home with a prize :banana:

:nonono:

IMO that is the problem with the USA version. They can't afford to give a bad review on one of the cars they test, so they just end up giving a mostly positive review to everything they test.

lubrizolsfin3st

Established Member
Homeless guy taking a bath where they were racing, priceless. That's Cali for yeah. But the way tanner was drifting that mustang was awesome. And then he had to ride shotgun with Rutledge, he should never test drive a vehicle, he drives like a grandma. That Brit top gear guys are nothing but Porsche and Volve lovers. Because on one episode they were hating on the ZR1 like crazy, what a bunch of tools

Sent from your Lubrizolsfin3st
iPhone using Tapatalk

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I'm a fan of both versions of Top Gear. It's entertainment guys, take it for what it's worth. I was disappointed in the Mustang episode with the Roush being used instead of the GT500, but I don't really look to mainstream TV to justify my car purchase or help me decide.
I think the US version is funny as hell and they do some pretty cool things with the cars they are given. I'm sure Tanner didn't "choose" an auto Camaro either. They get what the manufacturer sends them. If anyone should be bashed for that decision, it should be GM's marketing department for allowing an auto Camaro to be sent to a national network for testing against its direct competitors which were manual cars. Whoever at GM thought it would be a good idea to give a professional driver a watered down version of their performance car that fits directly into the shows target audience completely shit the bed on the opportunity to get some free press on the cars ability.
Other than that, what Tanner was able to do with the Boss was simply awesome to watch.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
So far the american version this season has been crap sans the roush and boss mustang part, everything else was trash, even the comparo between the 3 modern muscle cars was ridiculous...just my opinion

they could have done a real comparo and alluded to the upcoming top dogs, hopefully have the stig take them around the track (2013 shelby and ZL1)

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
That was nothing more then "entertainment" for the unenlightened masses then a real subjective comparison :xpl:
so i take it you've never watched any top gear before? none of them - UK, US, or otherwise - have "real" comparisons, it's entertainment.

USA top gear blows, Sucks too!

Other countries have "Top Gear" shows, and from what I see the poduction value, everything about them are not in the same league as UK show. anyone car enjoy TOP gear UK, only gear heads can bear watching the others.
no other country has the production value of the UK show because the UK show is the only one funded by tax payer cash:idea: they don't drive all the way across europe in $400k cars for free.

as someone who grew up on the old motortrend TV show, motorweek, and all of that pure and utter GARBAGE, i have zero trouble at all watching and enjoying the US top gear. the US has never had a car show anywhere near as good as this.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I had high hopes for "The Car Show" but there are only 2 car guys on there. Matt Ferra is great and Adam Corolla would be much better if he only spoke less then a 1/4 of what he does. He's a car guy but stop trying to be funny and shut up. Then we have the metro-sexual that tries to bring professionalism and the basketball play for....ok I'm not sure what he's for other then maybe diversity to offset 3 short white guys lol. Matt is the only one I like on that show and it doesn't hurt that he's also a Performance car fan, owns a Raptor and has owned mustangs and vettes.

Has for British top gear liking only Porsches and volvos? They hate american cars I give you that(although Jeremy owns a Ford GT and Richard owns a GTA Mustang). Which believe it or not some country's don't like us?!? Lol
Richard is the only one that loves the Porsche the others just refer to them as VW Beetles.
I enjoy the British show because everything is "rubbish" in some way to one of the presenters. They all pick on each other like great friends would that we're hanging out. People that get offended put to much stock into things seen on TV. They try to be pro-UK cars just like we are pro US cars.
So far this season for US Top Gear I think it's been much improved. Some fellows just need to lighten up, allow themselves to dumb yourself down to us simpleton levels and relax(although I can't dumb myself down enough to be a TV zombie and watch other shows they pass off as entertainment but for those shows simple cure, I don't watch them.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
so i take it you've never watched any top gear before? none of them - UK, US, or otherwise - have "real" comparisons, it's entertainment.

I believe that's was the exact word I used as well.

This test would have been just as credible AND even more entertaining if they used these guys as test drivers :nonono:

stooges.jpg

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
I had high hopes for "The Car Show" but there are only 2 car guys on there. Matt Ferra is great and Adam Corolla would be much better if he only spoke less then a 1/4 of what he does. He's a car guy but stop trying to be funny and shut up. Then we have the metro-sexual that tries to bring professionalism and the basketball play for....ok I'm not sure what he's for other then maybe diversity to offset 3 short white guys lol. Matt is the only one I like on that show and it doesn't hurt that he's also a Performance car fan, owns a Raptor and has owned mustangs and vettes.

They took Spider off the show and shortened it to 30 minutes. I was bummed when I found out they gave him his walking papers, but I guess it's what viewers said they wanted.... Although he didn't know jack shit about cars, he did (IMHO) provide quite a lot of humor to the show. Them ragging on him and giving him shit about stereotypes was an element that made the show great to me. Also, since they shortened it, everything seems very rushed and dry. They sucked all of the personality out of the show when they made the changes. I guess I don't mind a car show that is dry and informative, but it would have been nice to have that element of entertainment along with it. That's exactly what makes BBCTG so good: its entertainment value.

DMotorsports

Established Member
Has for British top gear liking only Porsches and volvos? They hate american cars I give you that(although Jeremy owns a Ford GT and Richard owns a GTA Mustang).

Clarkson sold his Ford GT because it kept giving him electrical problems. It was pretty hilarious actually. He said he kept getting phone calls from Ford at random times telling him that his car had been stolen (when it in fact hadn't). I think the alarm went off at random times as well, and on more than one occasion it wouldn't start. I figured a British guy would be used to this after owning Jaguars and Land Rovers for decades, lol. He ended up selling it and buying a Mercedes. Can't say that I really blame him for selling it. If I paid that much for a car I would expect it to work properly, or at least be fixed by the dealer in a timely manner. From the sound of it, they never could really get all of the electrical gremlins sorted out of his car.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Didn't clarkson sell it and then he bought it back? IIRC
There were several shows where he got harassed about it and a few blooper reels had his car alarm going off during filming and one where it wouldn't start at the end of the day and he had to drive some POS home. LMAO.
He justified owning one because "it's not really an American car. Brakes are from ....body from.... Blah blah blah.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
by far the best segment featured on US top gear - and one of the best segments featured on ANY top gear...

[youtube_browser]9WCiUhPvaRs[/youtube_browser]

...if they can put more segments together like that, they'll really have something that could walk out from under the shadow of the UK top gear.

Clarkson sold his Ford GT because it kept giving him electrical problems. It was pretty hilarious actually. He said he kept getting phone calls from Ford at random times telling him that his car had been stolen (when it in fact hadn't). I think the alarm went off at random times as well, and on more than one occasion it wouldn't start. I figured a British guy would be used to this after owning Jaguars and Land Rovers for decades, lol. He ended up selling it and buying a Mercedes. Can't say that I really blame him for selling it. If I paid that much for a car I would expect it to work properly, or at least be fixed by the dealer in a timely manner. From the sound of it, they never could really get all of the electrical gremlins sorted out of his car.
it was actually an alarm system installed by the UK import company 'roush', whom i have no idea if they are related to the roush we all know and love. i've always wondered why he just didn't get the damn thing disabled. honestly, it just sounds like he was looking for an excuse to get rid of it. why, i don't know, but that's the best i can come up with.

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Thanks for the link. Some of the comments made in this episode are great. I love how they constantly dis the 2012 Camaro SS, as they have every right too. Why in the hell would he have selected as auto? FAIL!

Some very funny quotes from the episode.

direct towards the guy driving the Camaro:

"Does your husband own one?"

Talking about the Mustang:

"It's still plagued with a solid rear axle and heavy front end."

Are these guys serious? It has the LIGHTEST front end and overall weight of all three cars. DUMB COMMENT!!! Still on the SRA is inferior to the IRS huh. Hmmm, maybe you didn't get the memo that it is able to compete on the road course, and win. :dw:

I assume you guys realize that the "guy driving the Camaro" is Tanner Foust...a Ford driver. I imagine that was scripted and they set it up to take the Automagic Chic-car to poke fun at him. He is typically the one driving the Mustangs (or Ford GT's) and smoking everyone else.

I agree, the UK version is better...but damn Comcast wants to charge a fortune to get BBC, so the US version is it. The Raptor episode was pretty entertaining as well.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
alright, if you didn't get any laughs out of this episode of top gear, then your just watching it with the goal of not enjoying it. some straight up hilarious shit!

Users who are viewing this thread