Kenne Bell Mammoth inlet Porting PART #2 Dyno Results !!

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Nice work Jay. Nice work indeed. You should have a very interesting next year......Lol I just wondering what you going to do now ? LOL you always need to work on something...

That intake is very nice. def should work well for the people with the big HP setups.

cj428mach

Established Member
I get that, and drag racing is definitely a different application than mine. My initial inquiry really revolved around the limits of E85. I have read in various places that real octane ratings are in the 94-96 range, but I also get this is just part of the equation as is the cooler intake charge. I really haven't seen someone claim a limit for the E85, and I am still curious as to what that is. With your setup, albeit with boost of 20+ psi in shorter stints, it is nonetheless super stout. To be able to run it on fuel you can get from the pump at a reasonable price is pretty damn sweet. Seeing its use in applications like yours validates the claims for sure.

Again, great work on the plenum and many thanks for sharing the results. Definitely peaks my curiosity for my 2.8. I'm not a numbers guy, but ways to gain efficiency while adding power is always appealing!

One of the mustang mags took a brand new GT500 and put on a 4.2L KB and ran 29psi on e85 without issues. I'm in the camp that its virtually impossible to detonate on e85, which is why I love filling my car up with it.

Silver11gt500

Established Member
20141104_220338_zps8kd1ugzw.jpg

What kind of oil separator or beather tank is that? I sure like it alot! looks like it would work very well.

Poisonous West

Established Member
What method of rapid prototyping was used to create that?

Without going into the detail of the company and prototype process and material selection.

The guy that made this for me at the work place told me they been making prototype engine intake system (intake manifold, tube, air box, etc) for testing proposes for a long time. He actually shown me a tested prototype intake manifold return after field tested.

The prototype intake manifolds (bolt to the engine) they make has survive 100000 test miles using their prototype material without any failure.

In fact, they use the same material to make special NASCAR intake system for testing proposes and never fail.

One of the high profile show car in SEMA now from a major OEM actually has the prototype intake system made at his location using the same material, same process, same machine.

It happened about a week ago when I ask one of my co-worker where did he got he prototype part make and he gave me a contact and from that contact, gave me a final contact for high temperature, high strength under hood prototype application - later on I find out from another co-worker that location is specialize in making prototype engine parts for testing purposes. I am quite lucky this time since he made it for me for NO cost. I guess when he saw the "GT500" letter in top of the intake tube, he just OK with it.

cluscher

Established Member
E85 = 105 OCTANE
E100 = 110 OCTANE
E70 = 100 OCTANE

That should help your octane curiosity...just google E85 Octane rating and theres a few charts with the break down...essentially what I run is 105 all the time with almost zero chance of detonation. It really is a wondeful fuel.

Definitely not saying it doesn't work like 105 octane race fuel, but I did encounter this:

The Renewable Fuels Foundation states in its Changes in Gasoline IV manual, "There is no requirement to post octane on an E85 dispenser. If a retailer chooses to post octane, they should be aware that the often cited 105 octane is incorrect. This number was derived by using ethanol’s blending octane value in gasoline. This is not the proper way to calculate the octane of E85. Ethanol’s true octane value should be used to calculate E85’s octane value. This results in an octane range of 94-96 (R+M)/2. These calculations have been confirmed by actual-octane engine tests."

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/page/-/rfa-association-site/ChangesinGasolineManualIV-UpdatedLogo.pdf

Hence the reason I asked what the perceived threshold for E85 would be. Effective at 29lbs of boost does seem that it is virtually impossible to detonate.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Without going into the detail of the company and prototype process and material selection.

The guy that made this for me at the work place told me they been making prototype engine intake system (intake manifold, tube, air box, etc) for testing proposes for a long time. He actually shown me a tested prototype intake manifold return after field tested.

The prototype intake manifolds (bolt to the engine) they make has survive 100000 test miles using their prototype material without any failure.

In fact, they use the same material to make special NASCAR intake system for testing proposes and never fail.

One of the high profile show car in SEMA now from a major OEM actually has the prototype intake system made at his location using the same material, same process, same machine.

It happened about a week ago when I ask one of my co-worker where did he got he prototype part make and he gave me a contact and from that contact, gave me a final contact for high temperature, high strength under hood prototype application - later on I find out from another co-worker that location is specialize in making prototype engine parts for testing purposes. I am quite lucky this time since he made it for me for NO cost. I guess when he saw the "GT500" letter in top of the intake tube, he just OK with it.

I was just curious if it was SLA, blow molded, laser sintered (rapidnylon), etc. Just curious, that's all. Looks like a very well done piece.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Definitely not saying it doesn't work like 105 octane race fuel, but I did encounter this:

The Renewable Fuels Foundation states in its Changes in Gasoline IV manual, "There is no requirement to post octane on an E85 dispenser. If a retailer chooses to post octane, they should be aware that the often cited 105 octane is incorrect. This number was derived by using ethanol’s blending octane value in gasoline. This is not the proper way to calculate the octane of E85. Ethanol’s true octane value should be used to calculate E85’s octane value. This results in an octane range of 94-96 (R+M)/2. These calculations have been confirmed by actual-octane engine tests."

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/page/-/rfa-association-site/ChangesinGasolineManualIV-UpdatedLogo.pdf

Hence the reason I asked what the perceived threshold for E85 would be. Effective at 29lbs of boost does seem that it is virtually impossible to detonate.

That test KB did sold me on it...also my buddy Badass03svt sold me on it...hes been running it for years with zero issues. Pretty much the consensus is its the God of fuels lol.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Nice work Jay. Nice work indeed. You should have a very interesting next year......Lol I just wondering what you going to do now ? LOL you always need to work on something...

That intake is very nice. def should work well for the people with the big HP setups.

Im DONE David....I really dont need anymore power lol. Just suspension tweeks and slicks.

michael kellam

Established Member
do you have any idea where this blower would land power and efficiency wise on a stock long block setup?

i want to buy something but fear buyers remorse or not having enough air movement for future build.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
do you have any idea where this blower would land power and efficiency wise on a stock long block setup?

i want to buy something but fear buyers remorse or not having enough air movement for future build.

Its enough to kill your motor...lol.. my car is above 1000rwhp on any given day pushing 23psi @ 6400 rpms....matter of fact im going to go up in size to a 4.0" for next year so I can launch it easier on the track and rev it higher and be around 24psi @6900. It builds TONS of Boost over 6200...my car will make 27psi @ 7k with the 3.75" thats on there now. So your worries are ill directed...this 3.6 is a bad mofo...its a blower that can potentially kill your motor.

Last edited:

michael kellam

Established Member
i noticed on evo. perform website they offer a "kit" with an option for much lower boost. i believe it was 16 PSI. i was thinking that would be an acceptable starting point. how do you feel about that formula? i dont really know how to figure out power numbers hence the questions. would this perform poorly in that application?

1320 Junkie

Established Member
i noticed on evo. perform website they offer a "kit" with an option for much lower boost. i believe it was 16 PSI. i was thinking that would be an acceptable starting point. how do you feel about that formula? i dont really know how to figure out power numbers hence the questions. would this perform poorly in that application?

Imo...these Big twin screws are out matched from 20psi and lower against a healthy ported TVS. Ive been on both sides...if I wasnt running 20+psi I would be running a TVS...with that being said...im not putting a TVS back on my Shelby im a huge 3.6 KB fan now.

Users who are viewing this thread