Killed a snake in my garage

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Guess I'm a bit different. I have no issues with snakes or spiders - in fact right before I came out to Oki I relocated a baby copperhead from my driveway to the woods. Snakes keep the rodent population down and spiders keep the insect population down. Win/win in my book.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Lol you guys are hilarious. I know whenever I find a snake in my garage I just go inside and spend a hour on Google trying to figure out what it is, so I can come back out later and play hide and seek with it trying to figure out where the F it went and what it's going to do next, all while still not knowing if it's poisonus or not.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
A co-worker found a 17' burmese python in his back yard in Lake City, FL. It had taken up residence in a gopher turtle hole. They got some local snake handlers to catch it and haul it off. I wish I stil had the pics of them wrestling it into a grabage can. Fun stuff.

In Florida, we get snakes all the time. They do freak me out a bit, but I have learned to deal with them. I have killed a couple when I had no choice, but I typically try to catch and release them.

There are over 200 types of snakes native to Florida, and only 6 of them are venimous. Just learn to identify those 6 and you are in pretty good shape.

I will kill them if needed, but I repect them and what they add to the ecosystem. Some snakes, like the indigo snake actually eat smaller venemous snakes. And, its illegal to kill several species of snakes. (like the indigo).

Give a snake a break! :rockon:

SPEEDRACER88

I didn't pick your car
Established Member
Lol you guys are hilarious. I know whenever I find a snake in my garage I just go inside and spend a hour on Google trying to figure out what it is, so I can come back out later and play hide and seek with it trying to figure out where the F it went and what it's going to do next, all while still not knowing if it's poisonus or not.

^^^ This lol

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
lol at all the people with no respect for life. I know I sound like a hippie (and I generally hate hippies) however I have a great respect for nature and life. Except for spiders. May ragnorok take them all from this earth.

+1 man! Me and you think alike...
just because we do not understand or know what something is, we don't have to automatically kill it. Unlike other animals, we have a brain and are able to assess the situation...The snake could have been easily pushed out of the garage with a broom or stick. It would have left....
I have ran into this situation with snakes a couple of times here in the Carolinas...just move them out and they will leave..

Last edited:

SPEEDRACER88

I didn't pick your car
Established Member
+1 man! Me and you think alike...
just because we do not understand or know what something is, we don't have to automatically kill it. Unlike other animals, we have a brain and are able to assess the situation...The snake could have been easily pushed out of the garage with a broom or stick. It would have left....
I have ran into this situation with snakes a couple of times here in the Carolinas...just move them out and they will leave..

Not knowing weather or not it was poisonous or not and my 2 year old grandson lives right next door and other small children in the area... snake is going to die.

Stinger99

Established Member
So your snake was getting it on with that snake, then you came in and killed your snake's girlfriend?

Thats messed up.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Not knowing weather or not it was poisonous or not and my 2 year old grandson lives right next door and other small children in the area... snake is going to die.

Dude...if you find one in your garage or on your property and you kill it, do you actually think you just wiped them all out? Guarenteed, there are more in the area. If you find the small ones, chances are that momma snake is not to far away..I have seen this first hand.
Along with other animals, they are a part of the our life and serve a purpose. Like it or not, you have to live with them. I would be more worried about an aggressive dog on the loose in the neighborhood than a snake.

TRBO VNM

OP, you can clearly tell the difference between the rat snake and a copperhead. I was in the same boat as you in regards to not being able to tell them apart, but I never really saw a mature copperhead until this week at work. The environmental folks have a couple copperheads in a tank, black snake, corn snake or red rat snake(always had these as pets growing up) and had a couple other non poisonous snakes.

The head is clearly a triangle shape with the copperhead and the rat snakes are more oval shaped. I will need to take a picture next time. I don't mind snakes, but keep the poisonous far away. Any non poisonous I have no problem trying to catch and check out for a while before releasing them.

My first encounter with a copperhead was a little baby and someone had killed it. As a baby the pattern looked very similar to what you posted here as a rat snake. I would have tried catching it and would have had a rude awakening.

Users who are viewing this thread