Legislation over regulating the internet decided this month.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
amazing they are harder on piracy than they are on illegals,terrorists, murderers, etc. I know because all their "special interest" group buddies are losing money...and thats what its all about

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
amazing they are harder on piracy than they are on illegals,terrorists, murderers, etc. I know because all their "special interest" group buddies are losing money...and thats what its all about

When you look at the supporters, and their arguments, it's VERY VERY VERY obvious this isn't about the betterment of the population, safety, or caring about what the people want; this is purely about a bunch of clueless old people worried about money they can't even spend.

It's pathetic, but because they're in power, they control it. I just know that by the time I'm on my deathbed this country will be fully censored, controlled, and taken over by our very own government.

Last edited:

mustanginky

Established Member
i'm a government employee, who works in law enforcement, and i'll say this:

-everything the government puts its hands on turns to garbage
-they aren't doing it for "our" best interests
-it's another step towards societal control and the government realizes there's nothing more free than the internet. what a powerful medium to spread your ideals and anti government belief.

if the government continues to press it's weight against us, they'll fight a fight they cannot win. there's a reason our forefathers gave us the right to bear arms, and in my opinion, wasn't to keep foreign soldiers off our land, it was to protect the citizens against an oppressive government.

big brother needs to be small, and for the government to think that they need to continue down the path of oppression will soon lead to it's demise. anyone who can't see it, is blind. there is no such thing as a perfect government, but ours continues to get worse and worse by the day. our rights are being slowly taken from us, and i wonder how long American's will allow it to happen before things start to get ugly.

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all."-Mario Savio

Last edited:

warrioralumni08

Established Member
If passed, I believe it will affect sites like Craigslist. Good deals on there, but then again, you better pack some heat, just in case things get iffy. Sometimes, I just want to get out of the states.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member

-it's another step towards societal control and the government realizes there's nothing more free than the internet. what a powerful medium to spread your ideals and anti government belief.

if the government continues to press it's weight against us, they'll fight a fight they cannot win. there's a reason our forefathers gave us the right to bear arms, and in my opinion, wasn't to keep foreign soldiers off our land, it was to protect the citizens against an oppressive government.

big brother needs to be small, and for the government to think that they need to continue down the path of oppression will soon lead to it's demise. anyone who can't see it, is blind. there is no such thing as a perfect government, but ours continues to get worse and worse by the day. our rights are being slowly taken from us, and i wonder how long American's will allow it to happen before things start to get ugly.

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all."-Mario Savio

I would agree with this if it wasn't for my belief that MOST Americans are already so complacent and lazy that the government will easily walk over the nation. There's simply not enough people to bring an uprising, like you suggest.

The nation is over, pure and simple.

America had a good run; I know it's not over RIGHT NOW, but over the next 100 years it's only going to get worse, run into the ground, and turn into a police state, imo.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Official White House Response to Stop the E-PARASITE Act. and 1 other petition
Combating Online Piracy while Protecting an Open and Innovative Internet

By Victoria Espinel, Aneesh Chopra, and Howard Schmidt

Thanks for taking the time to sign this petition. Both your words and actions illustrate the importance of maintaining an open and democratic Internet.

Right now, Congress is debating a few pieces of legislation concerning the very real issue of online piracy, including the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), the PROTECT IP Act and the Online Protection and Digital ENforcement Act (OPEN). We want to take this opportunity to tell you what the Administration will support—and what we will not support. Any effective legislation should reflect a wide range of stakeholders, including everyone from content creators to the engineers that build and maintain the infrastructure of the Internet.

While we believe that online piracy by foreign websites is a serious problem that requires a serious legislative response, we will not support legislation that reduces freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk, or undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet.

Any effort to combat online piracy must guard against the risk of online censorship of lawful activity and must not inhibit innovation by our dynamic businesses large and small. Across the globe, the openness of the Internet is increasingly central to innovation in business, government, and society and it must be protected. To minimize this risk, new legislation must be narrowly targeted only at sites beyond the reach of current U.S. law, cover activity clearly prohibited under existing U.S. laws, and be effectively tailored, with strong due process and focused on criminal activity. Any provision covering Internet intermediaries such as online advertising networks, payment processors, or search engines must be transparent and designed to prevent overly broad private rights of action that could encourage unjustified litigation that could discourage startup businesses and innovative firms from growing.

We must avoid creating new cybersecurity risks or disrupting the underlying architecture of the Internet. Proposed laws must not tamper with the technical architecture of the Internet through manipulation of the Domain Name System (DNS), a foundation of Internet security. Our analysis of the DNS filtering provisions in some proposed legislation suggests that they pose a real risk to cybersecurity and yet leave contraband goods and services accessible online. We must avoid legislation that drives users to dangerous, unreliable DNS servers and puts next-generation security policies, such as the deployment of DNSSEC, at risk.

Let us be clear—online piracy is a real problem that harms the American economy, and threatens jobs for significant numbers of middle class workers and hurts some of our nation's most creative and innovative companies and entrepreneurs. It harms everyone from struggling artists to production crews, and from startup social media companies to large movie studios. While we are strongly committed to the vigorous enforcement of intellectual property rights, existing tools are not strong enough to root out the worst online pirates beyond our borders. That is why the Administration calls on all sides to work together to pass sound legislation this year that provides prosecutors and rights holders new legal tools to combat online piracy originating beyond U.S. borders while staying true to the principles outlined above in this response. We should never let criminals hide behind a hollow embrace of legitimate American values.

This is not just a matter for legislation. We expect and encourage all private parties, including both content creators and Internet platform providers working together, to adopt voluntary measures and best practices to reduce online piracy.

So, rather than just look at how legislation can be stopped, ask yourself: Where do we go from here? Don’t limit your opinion to what’s the wrong thing to do, ask yourself what’s right. Already, many of members of Congress are asking for public input around the issue. We are paying close attention to those opportunities, as well as to public input to the Administration. The organizer of this petition and a random sample of the signers will be invited to a conference call to discuss this issue further with Administration officials and soon after that, we will host an online event to get more input and answer your questions. Details on that will follow in the coming days.

Washington needs to hear your best ideas about how to clamp down on rogue websites and other criminals who make money off the creative efforts of American artists and rights holders. We should all be committed to working with all interested constituencies to develop new legal tools to protect global intellectual property rights without jeopardizing the openness of the Internet. Our hope is that you will bring enthusiasm and know-how to this important challenge.

Moving forward, we will continue to work with Congress on a bipartisan basis on legislation that provides new tools needed in the global fight against piracy and counterfeiting, while vigorously defending an open Internet based on the values of free expression, privacy, security and innovation. Again, thank you for taking the time to participate in this important process. We hope you’ll continue to be part of it.

Victoria Espinel is Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator at Office of Management and Budget

Aneesh Chopra is the U.S. Chief Technology Officer and Assistant to the President and Associate Director for Technology at the Office of Science and Technology Policy

Howard Schmidt is Special Assistant to the President and Cybersecurity Coordinator for National Security Staff

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member

im in the same exact boat as you and agree with you 100%..and Newkid also brings up a good point that we have so many uneducated, lazy complacent people here they will get trampled. Its up to the lone wolves to educate the rest of the sheep

jenkins_1120

Established Member

+1 this is all about money that ppl arnt going to get. the govt is all about greed

346CamaroSS

Established Member

ding ding ding. with the way things have been going history is bound to repeat its self.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
I would agree with this if it wasn't for my belief that MOST Americans are already so complacent and lazy that the government will easily walk over the nation. There's simply not enough people to bring an uprising, like you suggest.

The nation is over, pure and simple.

America had a good run; I know it's not over RIGHT NOW, but over the next 100 years it's only going to get worse, run into the ground, and turn into a police state, imo.

at least we got to live in the "good ole' days"

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Here's a good read that lays out what you can expect if these bills pass: GoDaddy: A glimpse of the Internet under SOPA - David Rusenko

This story has never been told, and it's incredibly important to tell it today; it's a perfect example of what might come to be if SOPA becomes law -- a shoot first, question later mentality held by GoDaddy. Want to know what the world would be like under SOPA? Read on.

Sometime in 2009, Weebly was starting to gain momentum. We hadn't yet achieved the scale we have today, but we were hosting a couple million websites -- certainly a decent size by any measure. We registered weebly.com with GoDaddy back in early 2006, and hadn't paid any attention to our registrar since then. After all, GoDaddy was a reputable registrar and a decent place to house your domain.

One Saturday in the summer of 2009, we were eating lunch at Big Daddy's Burgers in South Lake Tahoe. I received a call from an unknown number on my cell phone, sometime around noon. I don't usually answer these calls, but we were waiting for our food, and for some reason this time I did.

The person on the other end seemed startled that I had actually answered. It was someone from GoDaddy's abuse department, who informed me that they were "turning off" weebly.com due to a complaint.

"WHAT?" I said frantically into the phone. He explained that they had received a complaint about the content of a site, and that they were removing the DNS entries for weebly.com because of it. I asked him if they had contacted us previously -- he responded that they hadn't.

The site in question featured a bad review of a local business, and that business had complained. Why on earth would a domain registrar take it upon themselves to police content?

As calmly as I possibly could at that moment, I explained to him that Weebly served millions of websites -- most of them US small businesses -- and asked if he had already changed the DNS entries. He said that he had, but that it wouldn't hit the system for another 10 minutes or so, and he could quickly revert it. Unbelievable -- crisis narrowly averted.

The very next day, we proceeded to transfer all of our domain names away from GoDaddy, to a registrar that actually cares about their customers.

This will be the future of the Internet if SOPA passes. A place where a complaint "in good faith" is all that is needed to take down millions of small businesses. This "shoot first" mentality, at the DNS level, is utterly destructive.

The "trial" and sentencing is performed by indifferent corporations who don't care about the collateral damage they cause. When they do cause damage, they plead ignorance or incompetence, and enforce double standards -- similar to how the RIAA recently blamed illegal downloading on their own network on a third party contractor, while holding individuals responsible for the same thing.

Unless this is the future you would like to live in, SOPA must be stopped.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Another great and informative read on it: The Future of the Internet is in Trouble | Bryan Hadaway's Web + Tech Blog

The reason why none of this has been covered by any of the major media outlets: http://act2.freepress.net/sign/media_sopa

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201201050008

NY Times media columnist David Carr, who described the legislation as "alarming in its reach," explained in a column earlier this week that "digitally oriented companies see SOPA as dangerous and potentially destructive to the open Web and a step toward the kind of intrusive Internet regulation that has made China a global villain to citizens of the Web."

The legislation also has powerful supporters. As Carr laid out in his article, "Virtually every traditional media company in the United States loudly and enthusiastically supports SOPA." This includes the parent companies of the TV news outlets now ignoring the fury over the bill during their primetime broadcasts, as well as two of the channels themselves.

ABC and CBS are listed as supporters of the bill on the House Judiciary Committee website, along with Comcast/NBCUniversal (which owns MSNBC and NBC News), Viacom (CBS), News Corporation (Fox News), and Time Warner (CNN). Disney Publishing Worldwide, a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Corporation, which owns ABC, is also listed as a supporter, as are other Disney properties such as ESPN and Hyperion publishing.

Last edited:

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Look at Google and wiki (not down yet apparently). You think they're trying to tell us something?

tap-a-keg

Last edited:

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Look at Google and wiki (not down yet apparently). You think they're trying to tell us something?

tap-a-keg

Yeah, their protests are already starting; go to Google right now, BOOM!

Not even their thick-wallet lobbyist can stop this; companies like FORD have the bigger wallet, so the bills will pass (Ford being part of this because other business's and corporations tied to Ford got on the boat, so Ford followed suit.....or, more likely, Ford is in someones pocket).

Last edited:

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
ding ding ding. with the way things have been going history is bound to repeat its self.

Over confident. History repeat itself? What, you really think a bunch of guys with muscle cars and guns are going to RISE UP and fight the government?

Forget about it; the population is already brain washed. As sad as it is, and as difficult as it may be to accept, there's nothing you or I can do; we have to sit back and take it. Like I said, America will fall into the hands of its own government within the next few generations.

lol 100 years.

modern civilization has 10 at most.

I'm generally pessimistic (meaning realistic), but even I don't think it'll be 10 years. I said 100 years to be broad, though realistically I'd say 25 years and we'll be pretty much in a police state, easy.

By then the internet will be censored, there will be road tax, and the government will have legal access to any and all information for anyone.

Last edited:

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Over confident. History repeat itself? What, you really think a bunch of guys with muscle cars and guns are going to RISE UP and fight the government?

Forget about it; the population is already brain washed. As sad as it is, and as difficult as it may be to accept, there's nothing you or I can do; we have to sit back and take it. Like I said, America will fall into the hands of its own government within the next few generations.

Did I say that?

And what you think the simple people that started the revolutionary war didn't do the same thing against its government at the time? You never know pal.

Users who are viewing this thread