Lincoln: Can Ford save them and how?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Lincolns are their own brand now. They are trying to compete with the other luxury car manufacturers by coming out with new vehicles and crazy new technology. Check out the new MKZ, which shares only 15% with the fusion, and the new MKC, scheduled to come out in 2015. Cadillacs are over priced, the new CTS base model is ten thousand more than last years model.

The MKC will be available summer of 2014:beer:

HandBanana

Established Member
Okay.?.? :??: I never said I wasn't someone who bleed blue. I do, and I'm a Ford fan.

Judging by your post in this thread you're just an angry douche bag. Somethings got your panties wadded. Sorry I got you all pissed off.

If he's a trust fund baby like his avatar comment suggests, I don't know why he's so pissed off. You're right on though, he's coming off like a pompous prick with a stick up his ass. Not sure what the problem is. IBS? ED? :shrug:

I think the better question is whether or not Ford SHOULD save Lincoln. They're getting their asses kicked in that segment. At some point, you're better off focusing on what you do well, and cutting your losses in areas you're not competitive.

EXACTLY. As I stated on the first page, this is a question of should not could. At this point, they're screwed IMO. There is no purpose to Lincoln anymore, they don't offer the public anything thats significantly better than whats already open to them. Lincoln is not a household name anymore and hasn't been since the 90's.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
So even if the Cadillac is better in every objective and subjective aspect, the BMW is more desirable because BMW? :dw:

Because Hipster.
Because Yuppie.
Because 30k millionaire.
Because illogical brand loyalty.

Blown 89

Established Member
i don' know how buick is still around.
They make solid and reliable cars. They recently toppled Lexus in reliability studies. They have the same problem Lincoln has which is poor public perception. Both of those brands need to release something new and eye opening to boost their public perception. When Ford released the GT people's perception of the entire brand changed and I think Buick and Lincoln need to do the same.

The unfortunately truth is that people base every single idea they have about a car based solely on reputation and looks. Honda coasted for many many years based on that reputation even when they were making complete and utter shit boxes. A friend of mine just bought a new Civic and everyone, and I mean everyone, parrots the same shit about Hondas that they have for ages. Let's face it, an American car could be made solely of titanium, carbon fiber, and leather and the world would complain about the cheap tin, fiberglass, and plastics they think they're made of and no matter how much plastic a Honda is made of people think it's made of diamonds and Corintheon leather. If Lincoln brought back a kick ass Continental and brought in forward thinking designers for the rest of their line they'd see a resurgence in popularity. They're nice cars but man do they have an image problem to overcome.

Blown 89

Established Member
So even if the Cadillac is better in every objective and subjective aspect, the BMW is more desirable because BMW? :dw:
Unfortunately that's how the American consumer's mind works. There was a time when Creative made mp3 players that wiped the floor with iPods on price, specs, and performance. No matter how many specs they bested people still wanted the Apple name and ripped the Creative's offerings. Every industry deals with it...names sell.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Because Hipster.
Because Yuppie.
Because 30k millionaire.
Because illogical brand loyalty.

Bingo.

Idiots tricked into thinking "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and "German Engineering" actually amounts to jack shit. So far, the only good BMW is the one still under warranty. Hell the only reason BMW took a foothold in that market is due to them releasing crazy good warranties in the mid 90s, which also included maintenance items. Thats when they became the staple yuppie mobile.

662HP631TQ

Established Member
HAHAHA. :lol1::lol:

NO.

Cadillac made itself valuable, Lincoln is a joke in the minds of young folks today. If the brand even crosses their minds its a miracle.

If you can sell the young crowd piss water (Beer) you can sell them anything. Hell think about the Pet rock...that should be enough to convince you.

It all comes down to marketing. Car manufacturers have had great success with selling crappy cars in the past, what's so different? Change the styling some include rwd options appeal to the younger generation and market the hell out of them....It's all mind control. Why do you think Shelby freaks like me buy a GT500 when it makes more fiscal sense to modify a Coyote with a Twin Turbo? That would be what I would so ndI don't particularly like Lincolns. It might even cost them more to get rid of the brand at this time.
I like the idea of using the S550 and see what can be done.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Bingo.

Idiots tricked into thinking "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and "German Engineering" actually amounts to jack shit. So far, the only good BMW is the one still under warranty. Hell the only reason BMW took a foothold in that market is due to them releasing crazy good warranties in the mid 90s, which also included maintenance items. Thats when they became the staple yuppie mobile.

Making cars since 1929 has nothing to do with it?

i know some BMW guys who hate Mustangs because they hate everything American made. Not sure why and it hurt their feelings when I brought up the plant in SC. they dogged the US market about using Chinese parts. LOL, yet there is a BMW plant in China. Retards, as you guys prove on all sides.

Jroc

Established Member
Lincoln needs a proper Town Car. RWD, V8 and HUGE trunk space for luggage. This newer bullshit can suck it. When Ford killed off the Panther platform, they killed Lincoln. MKS is nice but buy the Taurus for cheaper. They need to make that concept sedan(ford interceptor concept) with Lincoln badges and rename it the Town Car.

Agreed.

This is somewhat typical of Ford though. Even back to the 70's with cars like the Mustang II, and then with the introduction of the 4.6 in the early 90's. Ford idea seems to generally be that they need to down size and make all there cars more economy based. They did that back in the day to compete with the Japanese cars that started to sell well over here. That's not necessarily a bad thing to do that with much of the line of cars, but Ford needs to understand that there is still a large market for a big v8 power RWD sedan. Look at how well they have sold for Chrysler and even GM in the last 10 years or so. Ford should of done something to replace the Panther cars instead of making a large FWD based v6 Taurus. Even in AWD trim the Taurus motor and tranny is still setup like a FWD cars. the only real high performance AWD car I know of with the same drivetrain layout is a EVO. Most other performance AWD cars I know of has their motor and tranny motored like a RWD car as it generally offers better performance. And Ecoboost motors are very good, but not everyone wants a v6 car, and especially people with money to spend on expensive luxury cars. Many of the people buying expensive luxury cars want large, powerful, comfortable, safe, RWD cars that aren't unlikely going to get 35/40 MPG's. People looking to get that kind of gas mileage in a practical and economy car are going to look at Camry's, Accords, Fusions, and cheaper vehicles like these instead of some high-end luxury branded. Many Americans want v8's in there larger cars,(particularly American branded cars, and especially if they are going to be expensive luxury branded cars) and by dropping them Ford makes them have to shop elsewhere. Ford trying to make high-end luxury vehicles out of their budget economy line of Ford cars and crossover and badging them as Lincolns isn't going to work or fool people.

I understand Ford needs to try and meet CAFE standards, but I don't see GM, Chrysler, MB, Audi, BMW, or Lexus abandoning their larger RWD v8 powered cars because of it. Hell even Hyundai offers a very nice large v8 powered RWD sedan. Obviously Ford doesn't need to just make a bunch of v8 Lincolns and disregard the Ecoboost or v6 line of motors, but a large v8 powered Lincoln car that's RWD based and modern would really help their image and show that they are not just some economy brand of luxury car which they have become.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
If Lincoln is going to get any form of respect from the car community it will need to build a new line of performance oriented Luxury cars aimed at beating Cadillac.

Anything else is futile.

JasonSnake

Established Member
::::::waiting on a new Mark 2-door coupe:::::: I'm sure they have a surprise for us in the future

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
Cadillac isn't killing Lincoln in my opinion.

Ford is killing Lincoln.
Look at that shit, what is up with the new Lincolns!?
MKX and that shit. Horrible!

I love Lincolns, I'd die in a Lincoln. But the new ones? Hell no. They need to first make proper cars, then they can try to sell them. If they make proper cars, they don't even have to try selling them, they will sell!

Jroc

Established Member
::::::waiting on a new Mark 2-door coupe:::::: I'm sure they have a surprise for us in the future

I was thinking maybe Lincoln should take a page out of Fords book over the last few years,(that's I've been flaming Ford about overdoing) and try to get a little retro with their lineup. Maybe build a large body Continental with suicide swinging rear doors, built on a solid chassis with a competent, but comfortable suspension/brake setup, and a powerful v8,(using the Boss 6.2 as the bases for a new motor would be cool if they made it all aluminum, and added DI) and show it as a concept car, and see what the public's response to it is.

It would show people that Lincoln cares about offering unique, but modern, and cool cars that stays true to their roots of what made them popular luxury cars that people were proud to own 30/40 years ago. It would be true to the design concepts of what made them popular, instead of re-engineering a economy cars based platform that's already in existence. Lincoln has gotten way away from how they, and most other luxury brands go about building luxury vehicles for people who want to spend some decent money on a nice luxury car.

Last edited:

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
Anybody else here despise the front fender mounted Lincoln badges on most (if not all) the newer models? They look way too large and out of place on the car. I know it's a minor detail, but man it kills it for me in the looks department!

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Lincoln needs a Mustang and a Continental and a volume car. I never understood how Lincoln dealers can survive on their current lineup.

SHOdown220

Established Member
It's pretty obvious a lot of you haven't driven a new Lincoln, or most of the other cars your are talking about. I had a loaner 13 mkz 2.0 ecoboost. That thing was awesome, very very nice car comfortable as hell and pretty quick too. I drive all kinds of cars every single day and I despise quite a few of them. Maybe I'm a fan boy but the newer Lincoln's have impressed me. Most of the Cadillacs have not (I still see cavalier/Grand Prix in their interiors) not Lexus, and BMW and merc are nice but over rated if you ask me. If I had to choose a luxury car to buy Audi and jag would be pretty high on my list.

Not mention working on these cars, I think Toyota and GM are at the top of my hate list for work

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
It's pretty obvious a lot of you haven't driven a new Lincoln, or most of the other cars your are talking about. I had a loaner 13 mkz 2.0 ecoboost. That thing was awesome, very very nice car comfortable as hell and pretty quick too. I drive all kinds of cars every single day and I despise quite a few of them. Maybe I'm a fan boy but the newer Lincoln's have impressed me. Most of the Cadillacs have not (I still see cavalier/Grand Prix in their interiors) not Lexus, and BMW and merc are nice but over rated if you ask me. If I had to choose a luxury car to buy Audi and jag would be pretty high on my list.

Not mention working on these cars, I think Toyota and GM are at the top of my hate list for work

Lincoln's products are nice. The problem is the horrible marketing and the horrible styling. Not to mention that the flagship -- the MKS is really just a Taurus with a Lincoln badge. Overpriced and not better then the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread