Little concerened about my CAI choice

mj8

Established Member
Has anyone been told not to use a fender CAI when running a Steig Stage III blower because you won't see the numbers that they quote for HP with it due to it doesn't suck in the needed amount of air as a straight shot would do.

I just read this on another board and was wondering if anyone has seen real numbers to back it up.

03yellow

Established Member
I ran 415rwhp with an unported eaton and a 2.75 pulley with the MAC cold air, in the fender: my a/f was all over the place.
The guy at dallas mustang grabbed a steeda strait shot set up with the 12 inch filter:My car went 442 rwhp on the next pull; a/f went to 11.8 flat.

mj8 said:
Has anyone been told not to use a fender CAI when running a Steig Stage III blower because you won't see the numbers that they quote for HP with it due to it doesn't suck in the needed amount of air as a straight shot would do.

I just read this on another board and was wondering if anyone has seen real numbers to back it up.

20-COBRA-03

Banned
That cant be right, a local guy around here has the OLD stage 3 port with a 2.76 upper/ 4 lb. lower and put out 556 rwtq. His CAI is in the fenderwell as well. Think about it... its picking up cool air as opposed to being a hot air intake when theres heat circulating in the engine bay. In addition, i was told to change to an in the fender CAI but i opt not to because im happy with what im seeing for power now!

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Yeh .. I remember in MMFF a guy with a whipple or KB and running an in the fendor CAI ....

Crowley

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
20-COBRA-03 said:
That cant be right, a local guy around here has the OLD stage 3 port with a 2.76 upper/ 4 lb. lower and put out 556 rwtq. His CAI is in the fenderwell as well. Think about it... its picking up cool air as opposed to being a hot air intake when theres heat circulating in the engine bay. In addition, i was told to change to an in the fender CAI but i opt not to because im happy with what im seeing for power now!
What's an "OLD Stage 3 port"? As far as I know there is only one version of the Stage 3. Do you mean a Stage 1 or Stage 2 port?

20-COBRA-03

Banned
Sorry about that Bob... May have been an older Stg. 2 port, lol. He said it was the best port that steig offered back then ... must be to put out those #'s! :p

dynobobstieg

Let me say something about the CAI-First a straight shot type filter will HP better on Chassis dyno -but a fender type RAM AIR that is INSTALLED PROPERLY -Which means you do what ever is necessary to get the fresh air at the filter-can show more performance going down the road.
In summary if your goal is Max Dyno numbers go straight shot but if Max road speed is what your after a Ram Air Installed CORRECTLY is hard to beat.
On a side note: A K&N filter is oil sprayed and can get on your MAF Sensor causing tuning problems to clean this sensor use only electrical contact cleaner.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Bob, can you elaborate on the PROPER INSTALLATION of an in-fender CAI? And what about the 90 degree bend of an in-fender CAI and the possible air turbulance's affect on the MAF's ability to "read and react"???

cobra1718

Established Member
Some of the cai like the demolet have two 90 degree bends. Too much for me personally. I was sold on the straight shot (RAI) by recommendations from Amazon racing.btw have JLT customed painted RAI in my 04

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I think a fender CAI kit is a crap shoot. The problem most of them have is the bend before the MAF sensor. This is a topic that has been discussed many times before. The bend before the MAF sensor causes turbulance and may give F'd up MAF sensor readings. This may cause a very lean condition. If you can optimize this setup it is the best for power because you will have the lowest IAT temps. The problem is that it is very difficult to reproduce this condition on a dyno. If you are using a fender CAI kit on a dyno that has a bend before the MAF sensor it will probably read different in the real world on the street.

Your best bet is a straight shot cold air kit.......... K&N, Steeda, PHP, etc. If you do a search you will find the same.

03DOHC

Established Member
Unless it is a retarded intake like a mac I haven't seen a difference between the common one's.

roushstage2

Established Member
It sounds like a 12" JLT kit would be the best of both worlds. You get the large filter in the fender to get the cold air. Plus the MAF is moved up near the throttle body so theres plenty of room for the air to become "less turbulent".

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
03DOHC said:
...snip...Unless it is a retarded intake like a mac...snip...

Truer words have never been spoken...What a POS CAI

Also, the JLT relocates the MAF sensor to the fenderwell so it's before the bend. Believe me....I've tried other fenderwell CAI kits....the JLT not only flat out works, but there are NO drivability issues you get from products that put a bend in front of the MAF sensor. (prudence doesn't allow me to mention any names)

Like Bob says...the K & N FIPK and similar build big numbers on the dyno. But take some AIT readings going down the road on a 118 degree day and compare the fenderwell to the underhood designs. You will find a remarkable difference.

BlackSabbath

Established Member
What about those of us that have the JLT CAI and have the MAF located in the fender right above the filter? Would this eliminate any of the air turbulence?

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I really can't comment on the JLT kit. I know they have a cold air kit that puts the meter in the fender before the bend and another one that moves the meter up further towards the inlet to the blower. I have never heard anything bad about a JLT kit. They seem to work very well.

The ones that seem to cause the problems are the ones with a bend RIGHT BEFORE the meter like a densecharger or UPR.

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Like Bob says...the K & N FIPK and similar build big numbers on the dyno. But take some AIT readings going down the road on a 118 degree day and compare the fenderwell to the underhood designs. You will find a remarkable difference.

118 degrees? If its that hot Im just going to stay inside in the AC. I would think my car would over heat if it was that hot out.

BlackSabbath

Established Member
Chonger said:
I really can't comment on the JLT kit. I know they have a cold air kit that puts the meter in the fender before the bend and another one that moves the meter up further towards the inlet to the blower. I have never heard anything bad about a JLT kit. They seem to work very well.

The ones that seem to cause the problems are the ones with a bend RIGHT BEFORE the meter like a densecharger or UPR.

Agreed.

I love the look and performance and was looking for some clarification from Stieg about any issues with their ported blowers and the JLT CAI. Hopefully, he will chime in.

dezracer

I agree with the in- fender mount disadvantages and advantage.I have an in-fender and left the MAF screen ,right before the MAF to smooth out any turbulance the bend might create.Most people leave the screen out.The sreen is not to keep things out of intake tract but more to smooth the air.IMHO.

jeffsvt

Established Member
After I added my JLT CAI my air fuel stayed the same according to my wideband gauge . The best part is I picked up 1 pound of boost with the additon of the JLT .

Users who are viewing this thread