Looking to get blown.. torn between Vortech or Roush

helli217

Established Member
Hmmm. Been considering a Vortech kit, but living in the northeast these cold weather issues have me wondering.

My car is not a "winter car", but I will occasionally yank the car out when the weather is nice in the spring, but the early morning temps are 32 or slightly less. I don't want a kit that is going to see accelerated wear or failure from occasional cold starts. I also don't want to bother with pre-heating it. How legitimate are the cold weather concerns for the V3?

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
buying a $135 oxford shirt from Banana Republic doesnt mean its the best deal

A better example would be : Buying a $25 Carhartt shirt is a better deal than buying a $15 K-mart shirt because I like the quality and fit of the Carhartt shirt.

Fast_5.0

Established Member
To the Op, just buy a forged rotating assembly, oil pump gear, and grab a Paxton or Vortech or TVS. If you needed anything else, LCA, UCA, DRs, 1 pc d/s, new clutch or upgrade to the auto, oil separator, and call it a day.

If you like to swing on the nuts of Fast and the Furious, go turbo and ride that through the powerband. It's all about what you want to spend. I personally like turbo cars. But if I can make similar power for less, I'll do it.

People talk about quality and costs. You don't have to spend $8-10k on a kit to have a quality kit. At the same time, you can't expect to have a quality kit without putting good money on the table. Get with reputable tuners on this forum and they'll lay the cards on the table for you.

Boss3oh2

we just went 8.81 and won a national event last month with the jt trim (the vortech equivalent) of the Paxton oil fed (50 more cfm than the SL).

I just posted a picture of a factory installed Paxton right above.

all kits need injectors / fuel upgrades. For the kit itself, for what you get, the power potential, the intercooler, etc.. It is the best bang for the buck. It just is. Just because it's not the more expensive option, doesn't mean it's not the best deal.

All of these kits will make power, that's a no brainer. All of the kits have an easy 10 second potential. You can just do it for less money with a Paxton.

You didn't answer a single one of my questions, how much money do you have wrapped up in that car, the motor alone?

Maybe you can answer some of those questions and not tell us how fast you went..... if we want to talk about power potential didn't you race Evo's green monster? That's when all the regulations weren't set in place yet either.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
You didn't answer a single one of my questions, how much money do you have wrapped up in that car, the motor alone?

Maybe you can answer some of those questions and not tell us how fast you went..... if we want to talk about power potential didn't you race Evo's green monster? That's when all the regulations weren't set in place yet either.

For the record, we are a Vortech / Paxton / Roush / VMP / and Procharger dealer. We offer all of the above kits.

That said. Again, any kit on these cars have 10 second potential very easily. My "custom packages", I offer with ID1000s because of the growing potential of the kit, and injector. I also include a bap as a fuel safety net. None of these are required. I can put a package together for someone that just wants a "fun supercharger" with a tune for $4799. That's a far cry from $6k. and still huge potential. At the sale price of $5549, with id1000s, and a bap. Still, a phenomenal buy. And on a "race tune" with good fuel, over 700 rwhp potential, at that price.

Lots of great fun options. But the Paxton is the "best bang for the buck" if you want to supercharge your car. And, it's a great kit. Great intercooler, great iat's, no belt issues, can use the factory air box. It's just a great option. Doesn't mean it's for everyone. But for those that want an all around great kit, it's a great option. For those that want a mild s/c car, it's a great option. For those that want something very radical, it's a great option. For those that want to spend less money than any other kit and go low 9's, it's a great option. That's what makes it the best bang for the buck.

hopony

Established Member

Pretty sure anyone who is running in the 7's or 8's has a ton of money in their engines otherwise everyone would be doing it.

notchy444

Established Member
Just wanted to Throw this out there... Bang for the buck aside All boost is not created equal. This is my car on the same dyno, Same boost. And 4 degrees less of timing. This is with a 2200SL Paxton setup with ID1000 with the torque booster set to 11 lbs and a 3.33 Pulley running E85. The red line is my new CPR turbo setup with 10lbs of boost. What do you think will be more fun on the street or on a track?

image_zps38d53c1e.jpg

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Just wanted to Throw this out there... Bang for the buck aside All boost is not created equal. This is my car on the same dyno, Same boost. And 4 degrees less of timing. This is with a 2200SL Paxton setup with ID1000 with the torque booster set to 11 lbs and a 3.33 Pulley running E85. What do you think will be more fun on the street or on a track?

image_zps38d53c1e.jpg

Nice graph.

Did you mean to post a TVS with a Paxton?

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Just wanted to Throw this out there... Bang for the buck aside All boost is not created equal. This is my car on the same dyno, Same boost. And 4 degrees less of timing. This is with a 2200SL Paxton setup with ID1000 with the torque booster set to 11 lbs and a 3.33 Pulley running E85. What do you think will be more fun on the street or on a track?

image_zps38d53c1e.jpg

This is a confusing post.... What are you comparing? A paxton with tq booster vs a paxton w/o tq booster? What is your point? Are you saying that on the same boost, and less timing, you made way more power and tq? I understand there being more HP and TQ under the curve, but peak HP shouldn't be higher.... Something doesn't quite add up.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
This is a confusing post.... What are you comparing? A paxton with tq booster vs a paxton w/o tq booster? What is your point? Are you saying that on the same boost, and less timing, you made way more power and tq? I understand there being more HP and TQ under the curve, but peak HP shouldn't be higher.... Something doesn't quite add up.

Lol he is posting a cpr single turbo kit against a torque booster paxton. Dont know how it pertained to TVS vs paxton.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Lol he is posting a cpr single turbo kit against a torque booster paxton. Dont know how it pertained to TVS vs paxton.

LMAO... Turbo's def make power, I just get sick of screwing with stuff all the time. Seems like there's ALWAYS a boost leak or idle problem. But oh so efficient.

CPRsm

There was someone who said a torque booster and turbo would be the same. I looked thru and didn't see it in this thread. It was only 10psi psi for the turbo though ;)

Users who are viewing this thread