Mod the Cobra or Sell it for 2013GT500???

dsm2cobra

Established Member
these post have been tremendously helpful .... i pulled the cover off the car last night when I snapped those pics for the first time in weeks and its just so clean. Think I may regret selling it down the road ...

if I keep the car mods will be

- VMP TVS
- lethal budget return
- JLT high boost intake + MAF
- head cooling mod
- injectors
- Matte Black Mono Block 19"x11" and 19" X 9" HRE P40SC's

it should look sick with this wheel set up, put down more power than a new GT500, avoid taking the big financial hit of a new car, and I get to turn some wrenches which Im dying to do, thoughts??

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
these post have been tremendously helpful .... i pulled the cover off the car last night when I snapped those pics for the first time in weeks and its just so clean. Think I may regret selling it down the road ...

if I keep the car mods will be

- VMP TVS
- lethal budget return
- JLT high boost intake + MAF
- head cooling mod
- injectors
- Matte Black Mono Block 19"x11" and 19" X 9" HRE P40SC's

it should look sick with this wheel set up, put down more power than a new GT500, avoid taking the big financial hit of a new car, and I get to turn some wrenches which Im dying to do, thoughts??
Definitely keep the Cobra then and enjoy your project. You should also drive it way more!

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
live within your means .. but if you can afford a '13 ... Do It!

you will be much happier

..i could go buy one .. but the thought of an $800 note for 5 years AFTER i sell my cobra .. makes me sick

i'd love to pick one up with less than 5k miles in about 2 years and start all over

V8DER

04 Teminator
Established Member
I'd keep the DSG for now and wait for the 13 to depreciate. You know there are going to be owners that are never going to drive them(like the guy i bought mine terminator from, 980 original miles in 2010)Use that money that would likely lose in depreciation on a new purchase and mod your DSG. Enjoy a super fast, low mileage classic and wait to swoop a basically new 13 for cheap down the road. Take it from another low mileage(2900) built terminator owner. I built my car the way i wanted it for about 43k total. Still 17g's under brand new 13 and it will definitely beat a stock 13GT00. I'm going to put another $3500 in mine for cams, headers,killer chiller and E-85) pretty sure it will hang if not murder most modded gt500's with that setup. Still way under 60k. Plus who does 200mph anyway? :burnout:

stangfreak

Established Member
If you can afford a GT500 do it. It would be hard for me because I built a bond with my cobra and I can't sell it. Its rare, the looks are just timeless and will never get old. There is only one terminator.

stangfreak

Established Member
I'd keep the DSG for now and wait for the 13 to depreciate. You know there are going to be owners that are never going to drive them(like the guy i bought mine terminator from, 980 original miles in 2010)Use that money that would likely lose in depreciation on a new purchase and mod your DSG. Enjoy a super fast, low mileage classic and wait to swoop a basically new 13 for cheap down the road. Take it from another low mileage(2900) built terminator owner. I built my car the way i wanted it for about 43k total. Still 17g's under brand new 13 and it will definitely beat a stock 13GT00. I'm going to put another $3500 in mine for cams, headers,killer chiller and E-85) pretty sure it will hang if not murder most modded gt500's with that setup. Still way under 60k. Plus who does 200mph anyway? :burnout:

Your cobra in your sig is just insane!!! If someone tells me that a new mustang looks better than that, they have no taste lol

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
...Sure is a tough call...but I'd keep what you have, put the 10k into the DSG and go have some fun!!

I like you list! :)

cobracide

Established Member
The only way a GT500 goes in the garage is next to a Terminator. At this point, even scoping out next generation instead. Especially since there are less and less parts for the 03.

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
If you don't put any more miles in it than you currently putting on the cobra I wouldn't see any reason to upgrade.

Now, any car can be modded to extremes if you want to spend enough money. So this comparison game of if I do this it will be faster than x seems a little naive to me.

You have a beautiful car. If you still enjoy it, keep it and be happy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It is a tough call and in the end it will be which car you like best. Having owned a DSG '03 Cobra, I'm kind of partial to them. However, if I was in your exact position I would sell the Cobra (you'll get good money because it is low mileage) and buy the '13 GT-500. Even stock, they're beastly. Superior overall to the Terminator, which is 10+ years old now. As a matter of fact, if I bought a 2013 GT-500 I honestly wouldn't do much to it at all. Maybe an intake & exhaust mod and lowering springs. That would be it. And I could be very content. JMO.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
2013 GT500. I love my cobra but the gt500 is light years ahead of it in all aspects.

VenomVeins

Established Member
I cannot stress this enough: TEST DRIVE ONE FIRST!!

I have been fortunate enough to take a new GT500 out for a test drive (my brother was a dealership tech for many years, so I am still friends with quite a few people from that dealership), and since I am "in" the market to buy a Cobra with cash, it was fairly simple for me to take one out.

My impressions are this: It is a fantastic car with tons of power and razor sharp cornering ability, and all the creature comforts you could ever want. But it feels like a big, bloated BOAT compared to the new edge cobra/mach 1. Also, that "connected" and "raw" feeling you get while driving a Terminator just flat out "isnt" there. Never will be.

The Shelby is like a kick ass, tire shredding couch on wheels. That works for most, but not for me. I am extremely happy to have test driven one, because it re-inforces my decision to look at, and purchase, a Terminator.

I can make the Terminator into an "updated" car as far as creature comforts are concerned. (ie: Bluetooth, Nav, Get seats installed with heating ability from local shop, ect). I CANNOT, however, duplicate that heart pounding "raw" feeling that the Terminator gives to me in any other car thus far.

To me, the fun and excitement factor is much higher in the 03/04's. Just my $0.02

Last edited:

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
OP I thank people like you, where you take the initial hit on the New purchase price, keep the mileage down and then sell it.

Somebody did this for me on my 03 SB Vert last year June of 2012. They only put 3000 miles on it for me and let me buy it for $24k!

Sell the Cobra and buy the GT500 so somebody can get the same deal again in 10 years!

TRBO VNM

Everybody I talk to, they say if you are looking for a 2013 gt500 and can afford it, you do it. Get rid of the terminator and do it. They say no other gt500 is worth it, but the 2013 is for sure. Take that for what it's worth, but if I could do it, I would.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Everybody I talk to, they say if you are looking for a 2013 gt500 and can afford it, you do it. Get rid of the terminator and do it. They say no other gt500 is worth it, but the 2013 is for sure. Take that for what it's worth, but if I could do it, I would.

Before I bought my cobra people said that about the 2011/2012 GT500's. I notice NOONE here has mentioned those years because its older now. For all those talking about waiting 2 years for the 2013 to depreciate will forget all abou it when there's a 2015 out to drool over.

OP do what some have said, sit in one, try to drive it and make up your mind then. I'd be spontaneous or else you'll never make up your mind. It's just a car.....

Users who are viewing this thread