MODERATOR's CLOSE MY ACCOUNT!

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Could we possibly sorta "detach" some old threads for a semi-clean start as in room for the server? You could possibly save the old posts on CD or have them in a downloadable form or something, that way, you can "drop the excess"

Good idea or not possible? :shrug:

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
By the way...

David: I hate to see you go, I have enjoyed reading many of your posts and you have been a great member since you signed up last May. We obviously cannot make you stay, but like I said....I hate to see you go.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by NeedaCobra
Could we possibly sorta "detach" some old threads for a semi-clean start as in room for the server? You could possibly save the old posts on CD or have them in a downloadable form or something, that way, you can "drop the excess"

Good idea or not possible? :shrug:

Unfortunately short of going into every single thread that contains an attachment, that is not possible. There is a "hack" to be able to extract the attachments out of the database, but they will not be associated with any thread or post.

We have compiled almost 9,000 attached files since I purged them a short time ago.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Dave,

Why don't you wait until tomorrow and then decide. You know you love this site. It would be a shame to have you leave. Tetge, too.

Cliff

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Interesting.....i seem to have missed quite a bit :nonono: I'll talk to u tomorrow, Dave. Be good my friend.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bandwidth

Steve:

First off, I want to thank you for the awesome site for us Cobra "R" guys to hang out and exchange ideas. :beer:

Also, the Road Side Pub is a great place to hang out and chat with all of the great people on this site! :)

Now, I do have some concerns. When I hear about eliminating attachments, that worries me. Some of the mod threads we have over on the "R" forum have photos of mods we have done and this sharing of ideas is indespensible to many of us. When there is server trouble and these attachments get deleted for whatever reason, we lose that particular item for other members to reference. Can the restrictions for attachments be made to only accept smaller images?

Now whoring on this site may be fun for some, it just becomes a problem for the server to deliver us to our destinations in a timely manner. When the site runs slow, it costs all of us time.

Is there really a need to keep, store or maintain 577 pages of 24 threads of Road Side Pub conversations? I realize that the Road Side Pub is a polular place and a needed feature for the exchange of ideas and conversation but I really don't see a need to store that much information?

Ok, that's my .02 cents!!

Thanks again for the great site!!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Here's an :idea:

On Corral, you have to go to a Gallery to upload photos, and it keeps a running status of your quota for attachments.
Perhaps that way, attachments can be dropped easier :shrug:

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Whatever action is taken, I support Steve in his choice. He is the head honcho, ya know. Stangnet went through this almost every 3 months over there and that's why I left.

This site is wonderful, and the members make it that way. Deleting their threads only thins out the personality of our site. I do agree that post whoring needs to stop and that threads containing this action should be moderated/closed immediately.

I enjoy reading many of these guys posts, inc. Tetge and Poiznous. I would really hate to see these guys leave over something as petty as this.

/Steps off soap box/

:beer:

VENOM98

NOVI POWER
Established Member
I can say that "moderators" in general have the most difficult challenge. It is a tough balance to maintain order and a positive environment in any given situation. I moderate two boards myself so I can understand the stance on postwhoring and how it negatively affects a board. A board also needs people to speak freely and naturally, to embrace individuality and selfexpression. It is a tough task indeed.....Dan, Larry, I've had my differences with you guys in the past and I have had my posts deleted for reasons only you guys can answer, but I always respected your final word. That in itself did not stop me from being a member of this wonderful place....Do what you feel is best for the health of this community.:read:

Last edited:

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
I won't debate on whether or not closing threads is fair or unfair. But when a thread is closed, I do like to know why. Sure there may be reason for it. But tell us so that we don't do it again. When a thread vanishes, I know that the mods took it away, and at the same time, I feel like I'm being yelled at for doing something wrong (like grade school all over again, we all know how fun it was to get yelled at). And then I get this uneasy feeling and feel very unwelcome here, much like other members. Look, I don't want to go, and I don't want anyone else to go. What has been built up here is special, and we must preserve that, whatever the steps may be. As far as any whoring as gone, I'm sorry for whatever part I may have had in that, and I will try to be more conscious about it so as to attempt to limit such behavior in the future. Even though most of my posts have in fact been constructive, or positive in the least. How about a special section where you can go if you're bored and just shoot the shit, where the sole purpose would be to entertain each other?

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Dave don't leave bro!!

Steve awesome site, I just can't get enough of this place since I joined up. Yes some of the whoring/dumb posts can be very excessive, (points finger at self) but I have seen some threads that were decent conversation get delted b/c some start throwing in the "whore" word or what not. I realize it does use bandwidth, and agree with the deleting some threads but just like 950range said, it does take some personality out of the site. But a lot times its just a few people talking amongst themselves on here simply b/c they don't have aim or a type of messenger service or b/c they just enjoy being on this site. I personally would love to see someone start up a SVTPerformance Chat room somewhere for us all to head too when we just wanna chat with our good friends on here, so we don't have to worry about using up bandwidth and having a good convo/thread get closed b/c its considered whoring.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Yes I do agree that the mods here are the best I have seen on the net and I think what ticks some off the most is having a thread closed without any kind of reason.

Aaron_01

Banned
I think we should delete some of the old pages, expecially in Road Side, those become worthless after a while. Delete everything from 2003 and earlier, its a new year we dont need those threads. Plus I think there should be a temp ban on membership, tons of people join a day

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Originally posted by NYCStangGT
How about a special section where you can go if you're bored and just shoot the shit, where the sole purpose would be to entertain each other?

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by TwoValveKid
how bout we just drop threads after an X amount of days? most of the other sites im on delete threads after 30 days
Just in non-Tech forums.

Why do threads need to live on forever in Roadside and SmackDown? 10 days after the last post then they are gone forever, that would eliminate a lot of crap taking up server space.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
i was still waiting to see if a wing or stickers on the server help:shrug:

Yup all we need is a carbon fiber wing and a Type R and Powered by VTEC sticker to have this place really hauling ass, hell throw in a 50 shot of NAWZZ too:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread