Moving to Delhi, India - thoughts/experiences?

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
The ONLY reason I'm considering it, is because it pays just about 55% more than I am making in Afghanistan. The house is on what the company calls a "safe zone". Not sure what that means.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The ONLY reason I'm considering it, is because it pays just about 55% more than I am making in Afghanistan. The house is on what the company calls a "safe zone". Not sure what that means.

The fact that they have to tell you that your house is in a "safe zone" should be warning enough. :D

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Prepare to never have a solid BM again.
he is in Afghanistan. he is already used to not having a solid shit. the question is can his family put up with no solid shits.

8 years in Iraq and 5 months in Afghanistan. and I can count the times I have had solid shits on one hand other than when I went back to the states on vaca.

Its gotta be better than afghan.
don't bet on it.

OP: I might take the job but I would NOT take my family to Delhi. I would play it like you play afghanistan. frequent vacations back to the states.

Machdup1

Established Member
I'm in the running for a kick ass job working with the India Navy. It is a 3 year position and they will pay to relocate me and my family to southern Delhi.

I ran a helpdesk in India. It was a great experience, but be prepared that living in India is not like living anywhere else in the world. Before I left, there was a South African in my group who had lived in India who told me that he had never seen poverty until he lived in India. Until I was there, I didn't fully appreciate that comment.

I will not have to worry about driving or traffic since a vehicle and driver will be provided for me.

I had a driver. You will know that you have been there too long when you can sit in the back of the car and ignore the psychotic nature of the traffic. You are in for a experience. Have you ever been in a bumper car before. My driver came up to the first red light, completely ignored and found a way to merge into cross traffic without hesitation.

When you driver is not available, you will take a taxi (autorickshaw). All of the taxi drivers(actually everyone in India) will try and over charge you for the ride. Negotiate with them for the price and start to walk away. They will come down in price.

My questions are what is it like living there as an American?

It can suck and it can be great. You will be wealthy in a place made up of people who are broke. That has its advantages and disadvantages.

My first day in country my driver picks me up and drives me to my office. On the ride to work, we drove through the slums. Tens of thousands of people living in make shift tents and sheds. The level of poverty is unbelievable. The south American slums that I have seen have nothing on India.

If you have been there, did you have a hard time finding food you liked?

Food is out there, but be prepared to love chicken for breakfast, chicken for lunch and chicken for dinner. You can find red meat, but it is a question of how much mold you will have to cut off of it before you can eat it.

Decent restaurants for westerners? How about entertainment? Are there movie theaters, bars etc?

Yes, there are good restaurants, theatres and bars.

What is it like living amongst the local people? How is the housing? A 3 bed 2 bath house is provided by the company for me, but I'm mainly curious if the places are nice or more on the run down side.

As you should be relatively well to do, housing can be had. You will not be living amoung the locals. You will live in a nice area (for India) and you will likely have a house staff of some kind. BTW, it is not unusual for the staff to live outside your house in the yard. They will rip you off and the property management company will rip you off. Make sure that you know your contractual obligations. Their contract law is different from ours and they will rip you off blind, because they can.

How about the quality of doctors and healthcare?

Before going there I was told never go to an Indian doctor for anything serious. Get your shots for going there. Plan of getting sick. You know that SARS disease that ran through Asia, they didn't get it in India. Their diseases killed it at the border.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
he is in Afghanistan. he is already used to not having a solid shit. the question is can his family put up with no solid shits.

8 years in Iraq and 5 months in Afghanistan. and I can count the times I have had solid shits on one hand other than when I went back to the states on vaca.

don't bet on it.

OP: I might take the job but I would NOT take my family to Delhi. I would play it like you play afghanistan. frequent vacations back to the states.

Which is actually a route I am considering as well. Two trips back home per year for two weeks each. Afghanistan sucks, I'm at FOB Salerno, but it really isn't THAT bad. The food though, really does suck.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Which is actually a route I am considering as well. Two trips back home per year for two weeks each. Afghanistan sucks, I'm at FOB Salerno, but it really isn't THAT bad. The food though, really does suck.
LOL I am at FENTY ... which is, from what I have heard, a garden spot compared to Salerno

gksingh

Established Member
I come from the Punjab Region its around 6 hours north from Delhi, its pretty much the wealthiest and cleanest state in all of India. Hell 80% percent of India's Military Including all elite branches come from Punjab. Sikhs will be some of the best body guards, friends and allies you could ever have. Alcohol, Steak etc galore

Check out the Golden temple as well. Very Peaceful and the history is something really to explore

Here read this you'll get a good Idea of whats going, except Jay Cutler Stayed in Punjab

Motorcycles & Bumper Cars. Jay Cutler Travels to Punjab Province - Mikes blog from India

Now onto to Delhi IMO Delhi is a Shit Hole. But you'll be fine I mean you got the government behind you. They will literally do everything and anything to make you comfortable. Don't start eating a lot of street food right away. Your going to have a lot of servants but don't open up your trust to everyone there. Meaning don't leave your wallet unattended or leave your stuff just lieing around. Be very Firm in everything you do. I mean literally if you feel these skinny little shits are trying to rip you off, just go at them

And please don't give into the Beggers. Your going to feel bad, its going to be heartbreaking but give them the middle finger and tell them to F'off. You give one something a bunch come up to you asking.

:rockon: if you have any other questions feel free to pm me

I just spent a Month there and did stay in Delhi for a day

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
And please don't give into the Beggers. Your going to feel bad, its going to be heartbreaking but give them the middle finger and tell them to F'off. You give one something a bunch come up to you asking.

LOL. I had a begger in Hydrabad hang on the side of my car after we pulled off from a stop. He stayed on the side of the car (hanging from the roof) at about 45 mph for like a half a mile. He final fell off. The driver was like nothing had happened. Ah good times.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
I ran a helpdesk in India. It was a great experience, but be prepared that living in India is not like living anywhere else in the world. Before I left, there was a South African in my group who had lived in India who told me that he had never seen poverty until he lived in India. Until I was there, I didn't fully appreciate that comment.

I had a driver. You will know that you have been there too long when you can sit in the back of the car and ignore the psychotic nature of the traffic. You are in for a experience. Have you ever been in a bumper car before. My driver came up to the first red light, completely ignored and found a way to merge into cross traffic without hesitation.

When you driver is not available, you will take a taxi (autorickshaw). All of the taxi drivers(actually everyone in India) will try and over charge you for the ride. Negotiate with them for the price and start to walk away. They will come down in price.

It can suck and it can be great. You will be wealthy in a place made up of people who are broke. That has its advantages and disadvantages.

My first day in country my driver picks me up and drives me to my office. On the ride to work, we drove through the slums. Tens of thousands of people living in make shift tents and sheds. The level of poverty is unbelievable. The south American slums that I have seen have nothing on India.

Food is out there, but be prepared to love chicken for breakfast, chicken for lunch and chicken for dinner. You can find red meat, but it is a question of how much mold you will have to cut off of it before you can eat it.

Yes, there are good restaurants, theatres and bars.

As you should be relatively well to do, housing can be had. You will not be living amoung the locals. You will live in a nice area (for India) and you will likely have a house staff of some kind. BTW, it is not unusual for the staff to live outside your house in the yard. They will rip you off and the property management company will rip you off. Make sure that you know your contractual obligations. Their contract law is different from ours and they will rip you off blind, because they can.

Before going there I was told never go to an Indian doctor for anything serious. Get your shots for going there. Plan of getting sick. You know that SARS disease that ran through Asia, they didn't get it in India. Their diseases killed it at the border.

Just the kind of info and experience I was looking for. Thanks!.

LOL. I had a begger in Hydrabad hang on the side of my car after we pulled off from a stop. He stayed on the side of the car (hanging from the roof) at about 45 mph for like a half a mile. He final fell off. The driver was like nothing had happened. Ah good times.

Lol, now that had to be a funny but crazy experience.

LOL I am at FENTY ... which is, from what I have heard, a garden spot compared to Salerno

I really like Salerno. There are hardened bunker buildings that we all live in. We have our own rooms, plenty of space, but the DFAC is small and has slim pickings. The PX is currently out of all drinks, and has been for two weeks. There is no Pizza Hut, BK, etc. But, that keeps me from spending money. Sniper Hill internet base wide. Roshan cell service base wide. I'm actually HAPPY here, lol. As a helicopter mechanic I do very little work. Lots of boring down time. The Taliban offensive season is ramping up, so we are told, and I'm told this place gets hot, not in the weather kind of way, during the summer months.

Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Good to hear a couple actual answers as opposed to ignorant stereotypes. I would love to someday see India. If you get the job, enjoy man.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Seems legit, not too bad.

[youtube_browser]yP3EbqRQChc[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread