Moving to Delhi, India - thoughts/experiences?

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
It's a 3rd world country, no way I'd ever move there. All the horror stories you hear about rape and poverty are true. Why not move back to the CONUS to be with your family when your current contract is up? They need you more than they need the nice paycheck you're getting. Frequent trips back home aren't good enough or fair to them.

If I go, my family is going with me. I've heard mostly great things about the part of southern Delhi I'd be living in. 3rd world isn't the description I'm getting. About the money, being able to come home after 1 year in Afghanistan and 3 years in India, and paying CASH for a $250k home, and having a college fund at least started for my daughter, and being 100% debt free, which I already am, sounds like the smart move to me. I'm looking forward to the experience, and so is my wife.

I've actually found statistics about rape cases in India. per 100,000 people, the United States has a HIGHER amount of REPORTED rape cases. Granted I'm sure there are plenty of unreported in both countries. Probably higher in India. The media, as usual, is having a grand time highlighting one major, negative topic, not the big picture.

But, all this is just my opinion, based of only research on the internet.

I did find a good site with some pretty good info. For anyone else that is curious. Since opinions do seem to vary widely on India.

http://www.indax.com/living.html

Last edited:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
you don't know his circumstances, nor anything else about him noob. so your comments are worthless. and how do you know that ALL the rape and horror stories are true? have you ever been there?

So because I have fewer posts I'm naive about life? How do I know they're true? My job is to know if they're true because I deal with expats overseas daily. I also can read the English language among a few more so it's easy to find the stats.

As far as his circumstances; this is America, if he wanted to see his family daily he could make it happen. I've spent plenty of time on remote bases in my youth to know the pitfalls. It was more friendly advice than criticism.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So because I have fewer posts I'm naive about life? How do I know they're true? My job is to know if they're true because I deal with expats overseas daily. I also can read the English language among a few more because it's easy to find the stats.

As far as his circumstances; this is America, if he wanted to see his family daily he could make it happen. I've spent plenty of time on remote bases in my youth to know the pitfalls. It was more friendly advice than criticism.
kindly point out to me where I said you were naive about life, oh wait you can't because that is not what I said. but based on the tone of the post I responded to it is a reasonable assumption to draw.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
If I go, my family is going with me. I've heard mostly great things about the part of southern Delhi I'd be living in. 3rd world isn't the description I'm getting. About the money, being able to come home after 1 year in Afghanistan and 3 years in India, and paying CASH for a $250k home, and having a college fund at least started for my daughter, and being 100% debt free, which I already am, sounds like the smart move to me. I'm looking forward to the experience, and so is my wife.

I've actually found statistics about rape cases in India. per 100,000 people, the United States has a HIGHER amount of REPORTED rape cases. Granted I'm sure there are plenty of unreported in both countries. Probably higher in India. The media, as usual, is having a grand time highlighting one major, negative topic, not the big picture.

But, all this is just my opinion, based of only research on the internet.

I did find a good site with some pretty good info. For anyone else that is curious. Since opinions do seem to vary widely on India.

INDAX - A comprehensive guide to India

Don't get me wrong, India is improving rapidly but it's still a third world country. You're asking for trouble bringing your ladies there. If they're not physically assaulted they're likely to be verbally harassed crudely. I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing I subjected my ladies to that.

Delhi has the highest incidence of crime in India. The system/service we use to rate the threat level there places it in the highest category. It's rate of crime against women is one of the highest in India. Terror attacks are also a high risk. I can pm more info as needed.

As far as your financial plans, that's good and all but is it worth the price?

Last edited:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
kindly point out to me where I said you were naive about life, oh wait you can't because that is not what I said. but based on the tone of the post I responded to it is a reasonable assumption to draw.

Oh, the comments about being a noob. If you assumed I had a little G2 you wouldn't have mentioned it. Not knowing about him doesn't mean I don't have valuable insight. Using your logic if I had 10k posts I would be gtg.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Oh, the comments about being a noob. If you assumed I had a little G2 you wouldn't have mentioned it. Not knowing about him doesn't mean I don't have valuable insight. Using your logic if I had 10k posts I would be gtg.
this shit doesn't even makes sense. you ARE a noob. you haven't even been here a ****ing month. that makes you a noob. and not knowing anything about him makes your comments about what he should or shouldn't do in his circumstances irrelevent. the number of posts has nothing to do with it. it always amazes me how when someone is called a noob they immediately relate it to post count' which means exactly nothing.

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
I agree but if someone says India is bad because of their high rape incidents, ya outta show some empirical evidence.

LOL, Pakistan shows "0 %" reported rapes.

Agreed. Rumors and lies usually spread faster and farther than facts do.

Machdup1

Established Member

interesting.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
this shit doesn't even makes sense. you ARE a noob. you haven't even been here a ****ing month. that makes you a noob. and not knowing anything about him makes your comments about what he should or shouldn't do in his circumstances irrelevent. the number of posts has nothing to do with it. it always amazes me how when someone is called a noob they immediately relate it to post count' which means exactly nothing.

So what's the threshold here to know if a country is no buono or choosing to remain overseas if you can be home is hard and detrimental to a family? I mean since there's no such thing as ambiguous advice according to you please let me be corrected.

Are you disagreeing that a man actually needs to be in the picture instead of a just a direct deposit? Are you disagreeing that choosing to live in an unsafe country is not wise? I might've only had an account for a month but that doesn't mean I haven't been around for longer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread