MSRP is upon us.

whoa stang

Established Member
I also think alot of people are giving up and are going on to other things. The E-bay auctions view counters are only in the 100s now. They use to be in the mid 1000s when they first came out.

Some people may be buying old muscle cars instead, which makes since. I read somewhere they have been going up 20% each year since 2001. Supply and demand.

The saying goes "If you pay too much much for an old car, you just bought too soon for that car and the price will come to you after awhile", while you enjoy it. If you pay too much for a new car, :pop: Hopefully I can get a GT 500 soon at a fair price.

Last edited:

runin1320

sTaNGs OwNs JoO!
Established Member
I bought an Evo because I was tired of waiting!! But it will be OK, I'm selling it and will be looking for a '93 Cobra soon...

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
CWCobra said:
I gave up...bought a Z06 instead. And that's after having owned 3 Cobras in a row, and 1 Lightning.

CW

I'm giving up as well. Hopefully with the camaro and challenger coming out next year, reality will hit ford dealers. I just saw Transformers and the new camaro rolling looks hot!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
ViperBlueCobra said:
I'm giving up as well. Hopefully with the camaro and challenger coming out next year, reality will hit ford dealers. I just saw Transformers and the new camaro rolling looks hot!

:lol: yea those cars will not have adm!:lol: even the 05 mustang gt had adm for a full year here in the phoenix market.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Of course they'll have ADM! The point, though, is that there will be that many more high HP cars to choose from, hopefully spreading the demand around a bit more causing the ADMs to fall a bit faster. :beer:

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
eichisama said:
Of course they'll have ADM! The point, though, is that there will be that many more high HP cars to choose from, hopefully spreading the demand around a bit more causing the ADMs to fall a bit faster. :beer:
Exactly. GT500 vs Camaro vs Challenger, I don't think the ADM will be long.

1bad04cobra

Established Member
eichisama said:
Yeah i got the point too.Not to hard to figure that all of the big three won't have adm for very long with the compitition-sp? and the shelby price will drop like a rock, imo

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
:lol: yea those cars will not have adm!:lol: even the 05 mustang gt had adm for a full year here in the phoenix market.

Still not sure people will be lining up to pay an ADM for a Camaro. The retro thing has begun to play itself out IMO. Not saying it won't happen, I just don't think the Camaro/Challenger crowd is anywhere NEAR as strong numbers wise as the Stang crowd, much less as fiscally able to pay ADM's for long. :D

I have owned 6 Z28/Trans Ams in my life, so I am not a hater, but lets be honest....there is a STRONG mullett stigma with those cars. Even more so than with the Mustangs........

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Mulletts aside, Camaro owners are a pretty passionate group. Are they as passionate about their cars like Mustang guys are? Perhaps not! Their sheer numbers are NOWHERE near what the Mustang following has.

But even having said that, IMHO the new retro looks of the car are pretty good. It will definitely have a LOT of people wanting the first ones. Will there be ADM's? No Doubt! Surely they won't last anywhere NEAR the duration AMD's have lasted on the GT500. But there will be ADM's.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Rick James said:
Still not sure people will be lining up to pay an ADM for a Camaro. The retro thing has begun to play itself out IMO. Not saying it won't happen, I just don't think the Camaro/Challenger crowd is anywhere NEAR as strong numbers wise as the Stang crowd, much less as fiscally able to pay ADM's for long.

I have owned 6 Z28/Trans Ams in my life, so I am not a hater, but lets be honest....there is a STRONG mullett stigma with those cars. Even more so than with the Mustangs........

1. there is a huge segment of baby boomers that will pay big bucks for their dream cars they could not afford in high school

2. there are about 12 million millionaires in north america, there is no way ford gm and chrysler will run out of cars, or dealers willing to upsale.

3. there is even a larger amount that now think they have tons of money from the real estate boom that ended only 2 years ago.

4. many will have the empty nest/over the hill feelings that will stimulate new toy purchases regardless of price.

in my humble opinion there will be no shortage of buyers willing to pay a premium, and those that will have the financial resources to do so. the camaro challenger adm will last as longer than many believe. just as the adms for the c6 and z06 lasted nearly a year.:pepper: ;-)

Last edited:

Blk_C5_FRC

Established Member
cgjarvis said:
I think majority of the people on this board do not or will not spend this kind of money on a Mustang.......Or so it seems???

Many have given up perhaps?

I have given up.... Refuse to pay over MSRP. And in SoCal, must of the dealerships dont care. Sooner or later someone will pay it. I saw an 03 on the lot in 2005 (that wasnt a typo) still wanting 7500 over MSRP. I've got 5 payments left on the Vette, and now I think I'm just going to wait and get a Camaro. The GT500 is a nice car, but I can''t justify 50k for one.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Blk_C5_FRC said:
I have given up.... Refuse to pay over MSRP. And in SoCal, must of the dealerships dont care. Sooner or later someone will pay it. I saw an 03 on the lot in 2005 (that wasnt a typo) still wanting 7500 over MSRP. I've got 5 payments left on the Vette, and now I think I'm just going to wait and get a Camaro. The GT500 is a nice car, but I can''t justify 50k for one.

You'll love the new Camaro!

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Mulletts aside, Camaro owners are a pretty passionate group. Are they as passionate about their cars like Mustang guys are? Perhaps not! Their sheer numbers are NOWHERE near what the Mustang following has.

But even having said that, IMHO the new retro looks of the car are pretty good. It will definitely have a LOT of people wanting the first ones. Will there be ADM's? No Doubt! Surely they won't last anywhere NEAR the duration AMD's have lasted on the GT500. But there will be ADM's.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Exactly my point. Of course there will be ADM's at first, but I just don't see it lasting like it has for the GT500. Lets be honest, the fact that the GT500 has the name Shelby on it has helped keep hype sky high. That and the fact that there has been pretty much NO competition in that market segment.

Remember, there was a reason they stopped selling those F-Bodies when they did......it's because people stopped buying them. The new/old body style will certainly help get rich baby boomers in the door at first. Loyal buyers will still be there after the ADM's are gone but with the Challenger also coming out, there will now be at LEAST 3 retro themed muscle cars to choose from!! :rockon: It's eventually going to be a win/win/win situation for guys like us who love American muscle cars. How cool will it be to see Mustangs, Camaros AND Challengers at the track going at it like it was the 1960/70's all over again??!! Personally, I think the Challenger is the coolest looking of the 3. Can't wait to see that bad boy when/if it gets to production. :beer:

Sorry On D Bit, but I just don't see the vast majority of millionaires in this country clamoring for a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger.

Last edited:

LeadSled1

Established Member
What is Fords stance on the viability of the GT500 due to sales? If these cars are still sitting on dealers lots, does Ford think this car is having a lack luster sales performance for them? Is this going to kill off the car due to it "not selling" even though this is due to dealer ADMs? It seems like the ADM would screw up the sales reports for the car.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
That's been my exact fear all along. I keep hoping that Ford can't be _that_ stupid that they'll let the dealers kill the car due to ADMs. However, as long as _other_ dealers are selling the cars for MSRP or close and continually ordering cars, I don't think we'll have an issue. My guess is that Ford is still making these cars as fast as they can.

Anyone have more concrete info on this subject?

jimmy77

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
1. there is a huge segment of baby boomers that will pay big bucks for their dream cars they could not afford in high school

2. there are about 12 million millionaires in north america, there is no way ford gm and chrysler will run out of cars, or dealers willing to upsale.

3. there is even a larger amount that now think they have tons of money from the real estate boom that ended only 2 years ago.

4. many will have the empty nest/over the hill feelings that will stimulate new toy purchases regardless of price.

in my humble opinion there will be no shortage of buyers willing to pay a premium, and those that will have the financial resources to do so. the camaro challenger adm will last as longer than many believe. just as the adms for the c6 and z06 lasted nearly a year.:pepper: ;-)

I agree. The baby boomer generation could easily buy 1 each of the camaro/challenger/mustang. You will see many of those folks with 1 ea. I don't think most people have a clue on how much many is in so few hands. I read awhile back that 10% of the pop. has something like 90% of the wealth in this country.....and when the housing market bottoms out, the 10% will collect another 6 or 8 %. This country is quickly becoming a 2 class system....and I'm a serf. I could see a senario where Ford has a hard time selling GT's as the middle class is being eliminated. The Shelbys will be just fine.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
eichisama said:
That's been my exact fear all along. I keep hoping that Ford can't be _that_ stupid that they'll let the dealers kill the car due to ADMs. However, as long as _other_ dealers are selling the cars for MSRP or close and continually ordering cars, I don't think we'll have an issue. My guess is that Ford is still making these cars as fast as they can.

Anyone have more concrete info on this subject?

When I was at NYAS they (Ford Brass) was very- even acutely- aware of this. They even looked sorry that it was causing such heartburn among the faithful. I do believe that they are building as many as they can (let's not forget CAFE). Also, they absolutely consider this car a home-run.
That's what I came away with in April, hope this helps...

chuckstang

Established Member
Middle class has disappeared IMO because of our own government and the way we get taxed and what jobs make what money.

bla bla bla, I just don't bother worrying about, it's life and well, America is still the best place to live and I have 1 GT500, so life is grand.

:)

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
crispy23c said:
When I was at NYAS they (Ford Brass) was very- even acutely- aware of this. They even looked sorry that it was causing such heartburn among the faithful. I do believe that they are building as many as they can (let's not forget CAFE). Also, they absolutely consider this car a home-run.
That's what I came away with in April, hope this helps...

Thanks Crispy, that's good to hear!

Re: CAFE - everyone tell your friends & families to buy Focuses and Fiestas so they can build more GT500s for us!!! :D

Anyone know how makers like Aston Martin get away with apparently avoiding CAFE? Is there simply a higher corporate tax that the cars end up burdened with or something?

Users who are viewing this thread