MSRP is upon us.

cobracide

Established Member
crispy23c said:
When I was at NYAS they (Ford Brass) was very- even acutely- aware of this. They even looked sorry that it was causing such heartburn among the faithful. I do believe that they are building as many as they can (let's not forget CAFE). Also, they absolutely consider this car a home-run.
That's what I came away with in April, hope this helps...

Do you really think it is CAFE that is limiting production? HA! Try the contract with $HELBY. Just like the limit on the $HELBY GT. Wake up man.

Last edited:

03kbredfire

Established Member
I think that Ford is dumb for allowing ADM's on vehicles. Most educated people will just take their business elsewhere. If I had to choose between an overinflated GT500 or a Z06, the Z06 wins every time. It isn't even close. So now Ford has just lost money due to arrogance. They may even loose market share due to shifting brand loyaltiyes. It is a very bad move in a line of very bad moves for Ford. Oh well, I'll just keep watching their stock plummet. BTW, stock has in the last ten years gone from a high of 37 to 9 and change today. Hmmm, I wonder why?

Mojo03cobra

Established Member
Was in GUam recently. Their only Ford dealership had just one GT 500 in it and the sticker was blanked out. Oh, but it did list the price at 69k. Can you believe the robbery?

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
I had the #2 post in this thread about 5 months ago, and just read some of the most recent posts. Funny thing is, nothing has changed.

ShelbyKid

It sounds stock..
Established Member
Zeke0123 said:
the 08 vette is going to steal some of the "bang for the buck" thunder as well..

very true..They will be putting down C6 Z06 numbers with just a tune/filter/longtubes. An 08 C6 Z51 manual put down 423rwhp on the dyno with just k&n filter and long tubes. No tune.

Cobra(ed) Up

Established Member
MSRP is no where is sight to be honest. I have sent/received emails from the Ford Motor Company where they tried to act as if they are not aware of ADM's. After I provided details of a deal I tried to work with a dealer in my area I received no further emails from FMC. The dealers are going to continue to charge whatever they feel like charging that day. I just sold my Lightning and I will not be buying another Ford. I have had 3 SVT's and I feel like my local Dealer and Ford Motor Company are basically telling me they dont give a damn about repeat business.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
How many times does it have to be said, that Ford does not control what dealers sell the cars for :sleeping: Each dealership pays Ford for the car, so Ford has made its money on the car as far as its concerned...

IF the dealer wants to take the gamble and hold out for big bucks, and maybe end up losing money or breaking even, that's the dealers problem, not Ford's ...

tvguy

I don't know if it makes a difference, but Bob Baker Ford in San Diego now has 0% financing on the GT-500 for 36 months. It's on page L7 of today's paper. Didn't give a year, just said GT500's in stock. I find this interesting for some reason.
PACOTACO

DisturbedGT500

Established Member
I bought one yesterday for 4 grand over sticker, These cars will go down some man. But, You got to look at the big picture.. When that man dies, YOU WONT BE Able to Buy One for under 100,000 Grand IMO.

Ps: Im a car nutt been around them all my life.. Your talking about a car that MADE ford what it is today.

69cobrajet

333 Half Evil
Established Member
These cars won't be worth shit down the road after the old man kicks the bucket.They are not and (never)will be what the golden era shelbys were.I will be spending my money else were unless they come down too msrp or cheaper.I have always been ford loyale but I feel they have nothing to offer me anymore.:(

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
this afternoon i was at kinsel ford in beaumont texas. the showroom is full of roush/saleen/foose mustangs at inflated prices. the salesman was bragging about getting 23000 over sticker for a black and red gt500 a couple of weeks ago on ebay to a customer in california. he made the statement that i would never be able to buy a gt500 at or near msrp. lol, one thing is for sure, these guys will never sell me anything

JMHCobra

Established Member
Like I've said before, unless some sort of external event destroys the muscle car market again, these Shelby's will never appreciate like the originals. The events of the 70s made cars from those eras instant classics -- couple that with the low production numbers, especially the Shelby's of that era, and you have a completely different situation than what we have today. There are going to be more of this car than of the 2003 and 2004 terminators (quick wikipedia says about ~20,000 production of the terminators).

You also have to take into account that the GT-500s aren't even touched by Shelby or his shops, unlike the originals that were broken down on site. It's a marketing gimmick -- they slap Shelby (and a $15,000 market up) on the rear as they come off of the assembly line.

Someone wrote earlier that Ford doesn't have any control over the market price of these cars, and that's definitely true (aside from MSRP, of course ... usually a strong bargaining tool for the consumer). Unfortunately, Ford doesn't see that this sort of thing really does hurt their image ... classic principle/agent problem. The dealership system seems archaic in today's world, and it's baffling to me that none of the American dealerships have seen this and taken steps to correct it. For the consumer, the dealership is sometimes their only interaction with Ford, and they are terrible representatives. Granted, it'd be an incredible undertaking to dissolve the exchange system that the dealerships provide, but you'd think Ford would exercise more control over a group of people that directly represent the company.

Fastfords

Established Member
You also have to take into account that the GT-500s aren't even touched by Shelby or his shops, unlike the originals that were broken down on site. It's a marketing gimmick -- they slap Shelby (and a $15,000 market up) on the rear as they come off of the assembly line.

FWIW, 68-69 Shelby's were built at A.O. Smith in Michigan. In an interview many years ago Carroll stated he never so much as set foot in that facility. Over the years many have made the arguement that they are not "true" Shelby's. Then again, some purists think only the 65-66 cars are real Shelby's. To each his own. I think anyone who purchases a new GT500 for it's future value is betting on a long shot. Perhaps I am the only one who has purchased/ordered a car because I like it and intend to enjoy it for many years to come. Until I can afford a Ford GT that is. LOL.

1bad04cobra

Established Member
I have talked two a few 07 gt-500 owners and they all had a couple things in common.They were middle aged,said the shelby was an investment,and when Carrol dies it will be gold.Now as said before i just don't see this regular mass produced car making any of these people money within 20-30 years.There will just be too many around.Two of the shelby owners didn't even know what the 03-04 cobra was about:dw: I wish that this was not called a shelby but instead the next gen. cobra:(

Fastfords

Established Member
Middle aged? Me? I don't feel middle aged. I guess at 42 I am though. I agree with your point though. I don't think they will be worth big money anytime soon. Consider this though, all the 60's musclecars that are so highly sought after now weren't worth the steel they are made out of in the mid 70's. My brother sold his 67 GT500 for about $2200 in 1976 with 13k miles on it. I hope the theory of low production holds true. There were only 3750 or so Lightnings made in 04'.

chuckstang

Established Member
JMHCobra said:
Like I've said before, unless some sort of external event destroys the muscle car market again, these Shelby's will never appreciate like the originals. The events of the 70s made cars from those eras instant classics -- couple that with the low production numbers, especially the Shelby's of that era, and you have a completely different situation than what we have today. There are going to be more of this car than of the 2003 and 2004 terminators (quick wikipedia says about ~20,000 production of the terminators).

Someone wrote earlier that Ford doesn't have any control over the market price of these cars, and that's definitely true (aside from MSRP, of course ... usually a strong bargaining tool for the consumer). Unfortunately, Ford doesn't see that this sort of thing really does hurt their image ... classic principle/agent problem. The dealership system seems archaic in today's world, and it's baffling to me that none of the American dealerships have seen this and taken steps to correct it. For the consumer, the dealership is sometimes their only interaction with Ford, and they are terrible representatives. Granted, it'd be an incredible undertaking to dissolve the exchange system that the dealerships provide, but you'd think Ford would exercise more control over a group of people that directly represent the company.

First off, no one knows what the true 07 production is yet, and they have already said, the 08 production will be less. So if they stop at 08, it is safe to say, there will be either equal or less GT500s built than Terms. They are going to name the next SVT Mustang something else, I bet you.

Users who are viewing this thread