My new 2021 F-150 quality issues...

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
In last 3 months I've had 5 SuperDuty's, 1 Explorer St and 1 F150 with paint issues... One I couldn't believe how bad it left the factory. The Paint Engineer from the Kentucky Plant actually emailed me for what color primer this vehicle below had.

Look at the paint on this F450 Limited.... Close to 100,000$

View attachment 1713734 View attachment 1713735

I guess that truck was finished up while QC people were still working from home…

That is awful. I cant believe a brand new vehicle could come like that, let alone one theyre asking $100k for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
That's awesome man.
Do you know what they did to fix the issues? Take off the parts and rehang them?

doors at least can be adjusted still on the hinges, usually not too difficult, trial and error. They wouldnt fix em on my friend's Tesla, said the first door took him 15-20 minutes to figure it all out and get it to his liking, then the rest only took a couple minutes to adjust.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
If Chevy/GMC still offered the 496 Vortech, Id take a look at the GMC version. As is, I wont touch a Direct Gas Injection only engine.

If the Tundra was offered in a 3/4 ton version with a bigger engine, Id absolutely put it at the top of the list to check out. Id prefer the Godzilla, but id take a OHC Toyota V8 without reservation.

Aren’t they actually adding injectors to wash the valves off on some direct injection gas engines now due to the valve coking issues? I thought I read that a while back.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
ford has been using dual fuel systems on their DI stuff for a couple years now because of this.
Lexus learned this the hard way. IS250 from 2006 -2010 was direct only running conventional oil. Misfire city due to coking and carbon build up on the pistons and millions in recalls to fix it. IS350 was port and direct, zero issues. Occasionally oil consumption issues but nothing like the 250.

Ironically, the 250 had a cold start injector just aft of the throttle body. They "could" have recalibrated it to "mist" during light load cruise as a washing mechanism. My guess is that the cost to recertify the car with a completely new engine management strategy worldwide was more than piston replacements. Of course, it must have been very close in the cost cap analysis.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
So what truck out there is actually worth buying these days???

Had a 2012 Ram 2500 I bought new and thought it would be great.

1. Ball joints went out at 19,000 miles, then again at 48,000 miles. Stock wheels BTW.

2. Puddle lamps on mirrors don’t last more than two years.

3. 3rd brake light leaked and filled the cab with water at 15,000 miles

4. The can filled with water again… bad seam seal that had an air pocket in it that popped. Truck was at dealer for 2 months. It got all new carpet and underlayment. This was at 28,000 miles I think

5. Poor paint quality on both sides of the bed sides toward the cab.

Other than that…

My Ford 2017 Ford F-250:

1. Death wobble at 50,000 miles! Stock wheels and stock size tires. Thanks again PMF Suspension for fixing something Ford won’t fix.

2. Drivers side door alignment issue. I corrected it because it drove me nuts.

3. One of the horns quit working at 48,000 miles. Big truck, tiny horn issues… lol

Time to try a GMC/Chevrolet? A truck with a wax coated frame?

I've got a 12 2500 as well. Mostly piddly stuff.

1. I had the rear light leak issue. Just threw some silicone on it.

2. Had the rear main seal replaced before warranty expired. Probably should have went without it. That dealer's service is a joke. Something like a 4 week wait list, then 2 weeks to do the rear main, grease prints all over, and they forgot to reseal the shifter, resulting in more leaks I fixed myself. Same dealership claimed that they couldn't get the battery replaced for my gf's leased car for over 4 weeks because the one used for one of the most common cars on the road was so special. This was before the pandemic.

3. Fuel fitting leak around the 5 year mark. Plastic fitting cracked, leaked fuel all down the side of the tank.

4. Just last year had a brake pin boot fail and the pin started to bind.

Overall not bad for close to a 10 year run on it and a fair share of pulling miles. No suspension replacements yet, knock on wood.

Lexus learned this the hard way. IS250 from 2006 -2010 was direct only running conventional oil. Misfire city due to coking and carbon build up on the pistons and millions in recalls to fix it. IS350 was port and direct, zero issues. Occasionally oil consumption issues but nothing like the 250.

Ironically, the 250 had a cold start injector just aft of the throttle body. They "could" have recalibrated it to "mist" during light load cruise as a washing mechanism. My guess is that the cost to recertify the car with a completely new engine management strategy worldwide was more than piston replacements. Of course, it must have been very close in the cost cap analysis.

Emissions certification is a big, very expensive thing. And when you're talking about adding fuel so far upstream? Now you're looking at redoing not just tailpipe but evaporative emissions as well, not to mention the extra safety work and tests around potential backfire. It definitely would be cheaper to fix as failed.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
ford.jpg

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
It's pretty well known around here how much I bitch about my old 18' F150 I bought.

It was junk. Will never buy a Ford again. Toyota all day

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Everybody has quality issues. I see it every day at the Chevrolet/Caddilac Dealership. What they try to pass off as acceptable is astounding. Everyone in the shop HATES working on Cadillac's. It is the same everywhere.
The dealer principle also has Ford, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Mercedes Benz, Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, Nissan, Kia, Huyndai ect Dealerships. All of them have problems. Sometimes we have more Subaru's in the shop than the Subaru Dealership across the driveway.
It is crazy. Believe me, Toyota, Honda, Volvo, Audi, Porsche all have issues with quality control. Or should I say, lack of control.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That depends on where you live sometimes. Often times it can be influenced by how the vehicle is used. A vehicle that has water leak/intrusion issues will not have any real issues in a warm dry climate, but put 60K on it in the PNW and it is a different story.
Had a customer with a Ranger PU that had the front ball joints shot in 25K miles. Most would assume that it was due to poor quality parts, but then find out that all 25K miles was on dirt/gravel roads. Same vehicle would have gone over 100k on the highway with no ball joint issues.
I hate to condemn a vehicle to quickly on quality concerns simply because when you are in a shop all you will see are vehicles that have something wrong with them. That is why they are there in the first place. What you do not see are the tens of thousands of other vehicles that have nothing wrong with them being driven every day.
When the average fail rate is around 1% of vehicles produced, to see a vehicle with a 5% fail rate seems like a massive quality issue. But in fact, 95% of them are just fine. We just get used to only 1% and don't want to accept anything beyond that.
Obviously it sucks if you get one of the 1% or maybe 5% fail rate vehicles and it is human nature to say all of brand X sucks because of the one you had problems with.
For every person who berates a manufacturer for quality issues there will be 10 who think that manufacturer if wonderful.
It is a proven fact that if you do a good job, one in 10 will tell someone about the good job you did. Do a bad job, and one person will go tell 10 others you suck.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I've got a 12 2500 as well. Mostly piddly stuff.

1. I had the rear light leak issue. Just threw some silicone on it.

2. Had the rear main seal replaced before warranty expired. Probably should have went without it. That dealer's service is a joke. Something like a 4 week wait list, then 2 weeks to do the rear main, grease prints all over, and they forgot to reseal the shifter, resulting in more leaks I fixed myself. Same dealership claimed that they couldn't get the battery replaced for my gf's leased car for over 4 weeks because the one used for one of the most common cars on the road was so special. This was before the pandemic.

3. Fuel fitting leak around the 5 year mark. Plastic fitting cracked, leaked fuel all down the side of the tank.

4. Just last year had a brake pin boot fail and the pin started to bind.

Overall not bad for close to a 10 year run on it and a fair share of pulling miles. No suspension replacements yet, knock on wood.

Emissions certification is a big, very expensive thing. And when you're talking about adding fuel so far upstream? Now you're looking at redoing not just tailpipe but evaporative emissions as well, not to mention the extra safety work and tests around potential backfire. It definitely would be cheaper to fix as failed.

Lmao.

I just realized who you are.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
It's pretty well known around here how much I bitch about my old 18' F150 I bought.

It was junk. Will never buy a Ford again. Toyota all day

Every manufacturer has there own issues, I mean when you run the same design into the ground for years you should have everything ironed out I’d hope.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Every manufacturer has there own issues, I mean when you run the same design into the ground for years you should have everything ironed out I’d hope.

Give me reliability and durability for years over cutting edge, marginal quality tech

Users who are viewing this thread