My opinion on the Roush TVS with the Roush tune loaded.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
So my buddy and I knocked out the Roush TVS install over the weekend. It was not overly complicated. The instructions are fairly complete and pretty straight forward. I give it a skill level rating of 7 out of 10 to install due to the wiring.

Here is the complete list of Mods so far:
Steeda Axle back
Roush TVS
82mm Pulley
90mm Idler
Steeda Short Throw
3.73 gears
FRPP K springs
Steeda LCA's

To sum up in one word what I though about it after my first test drive: SLOW!

I was unimpressed. The car felt sluggish from 1 - 4kRPM (The car with its 93 NA Race tune would eat its lunch out of the hole all day long) it then pulled pretty decent from 4k - 7k. I was seeing about 8.3lbs of boost max.

Tomorrow I am going to take it to brenspeed to work their magic on it. If I had to guess I would say I am putting down around 480ish to the wheels with the Roush tune.

I will let you guys know how she wakes up with the Brenspeed tune tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Absolutely you need a tune. The Roush tunes are super soft. I just switched to a JLT big air CAI and a tune from VMP, and I swear it feels like it added about 100 rwhp.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Absolutely you need a tune. The Roush tunes are super soft. I just switched to a JLT big air CAI and a tune from VMP, and I swear it feels like it added about 100 rwhp.

Yeah I talked to my tuner today and he said their mule car with the same set up as mine made 460RWHP. He put in his 93 tune and it made 540RWHP. So I bet you did gain about 100RWHP lol.

Edit: I was going to go with the JLT intake also but I was told by two different people that it created a "stalling" issue on the TVS powered stangs. Have you experienced this?

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Yeah I talked to my tuner today and he said their mule car with the same set up as mine made 460RWHP. He put in his 93 tune and it made 540RWHP. So I bet you did gain about 100RWHP lol.

Edit: I was going to go with the JLT intake also but I was told by two different people that it created a "stalling" issue on the TVS powered stangs. Have you experienced this?

No stalling but I've barely driven it....

Honestly, no reason for that CAI to do that. It does take some talented tuning to get it dialed in. It's most defintely the tune not being quite right in combo with the CAI that might be causing people problems. That's why it's important if you are going to use it, to have someone tune it with experience in tuning with it. Another huge benefit with it is that you can finally hear the blower whine!

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Absolutely, I would prefer doing a mail order tune from Justin as opposed to sitting on someone else's dyno with less experience. My "mail order" tune feels spot on... I would say he is the resident expert on TVS cars.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
do you have the newer timing cover or do you have the stretchy belt setup still, im wondering how hard the grinding will be with the new timing cover and if roush has updated the install instructions.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
do you have the newer timing cover or do you have the stretchy belt setup still, im wondering how hard the grinding will be with the new timing cover and if roush has updated the install instructions.

My car was one for the first production 2011's so I had to do all the grinding. To be honest it wasn't that bad. I used a cut off week and a 4" angle grinder. I had it all done in maybe 20 minutes. I think took another 20 minutes to clean it up and make it look good with a dremel.

The instructions for sure are not updated. I downloaded them off their site a while back and they still read the same.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
My car was one for the first production 2011's so I had to do all the grinding. To be honest it wasn't that bad. I used a cut off week and a 4" angle grinder. I had it all done in maybe 20 minutes. I think took another 20 minutes to clean it up and make it look good with a dremel.

The instructions for sure are not updated. I downloaded them off their site a while back and they still read the same.

i think on the new cover its just a couple of bosses that need ground down, without the ribs.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Is the Roush tune for the 82mm super charger pulley? I was under the impression that their tune was only for the stock 90mm super charger pulley.
Like said above, Get a VMP tune. I'm pleased with mine.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member

the cutting/grinding of the bosses is the same. Just no ribs to grind. 30 minute job tops with the right tools.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Is the Roush tune for the 82mm super charger pulley? I was under the impression that their tune was only for the stock 90mm super charger pulley.
Like said above, Get a VMP tune. I'm pleased with mine.

No it is tuned for the 90mm pulley. But when I ran it and data logged it everything was still very safer. The Roush tune is just very conservative. I am sure it is so they can offer the warranty. The tune would be great for someone who just wants a blown car to have fun once in a while with. But for must of of gear heads the tune just does not do a blower car justice.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Absolutely, I would prefer doing a mail order tune from Justin as opposed to sitting on someone else's dyno with less experience. My "mail order" tune feels spot on... I would say he is the resident expert on TVS cars.

Brenspeed is a very reputable tuner, and believe that he has been tuning/installing Roush kits for some time.

OP, I believe that Tuckers car picked up some serious HP with a custom tune over the stock Roush file on his 13'. Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread