My Situation(COBRA)

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
ok guys heres my situation,
im 18 years old currently driving a 03 V6 Stang, im thinking about owning a Terminator, but do you guys think that a 18 year old can handle a 400 hp car?
Ive been a huge fan of the 03/04's ever since the first day they hit the lots. I dont street race, and even if i do get a cobra im just gonna start off with some minors mods and just to know that i have 400 hp under the hood incase i need it. The v6 just doesnt cut it for me, wen im switching lanes on the freeway in second, it doesnt even go anywhere. ITS SLOW. I absolutely love cobras... but im just scared that switching from a v6 to a 400 v8 will take me a while to get use to and i'll still be thinkin i have a v6 and punch it trying to pass a car forgetin that its a v8 and loosing control or somethin like that. I know im responsible enough, but i just like to hear some of you guys opinions
Thanks for your time

acrod

Established Member
I went from a turbo 4 cylinder making 200hp FWD to my Cobra no problem. It takes a little getting used to but just be cautious and drive carefully you should be fine.

DontGetBit

The Dynasty has begun....
Established Member
I think the decision is really up to you. Do you feel that you can handle a car that has little to no traction until third gear? Would you be able to handle a car that can break traction while going 60+ mph on a slightly wet road? Have you looked into insurance? Are you ready for a hefty monthly payment on a loan? Do you enjoy spending most of your free time at the gas pump? These questions are not meant to be negative in any way. They are just a few things to take into consideration when looking for a cobra. My advice would be to get a GT and have some fun with it. Add a few bolt ons like exhaust, pullies, tb/plenum, cai, springs, and tune. You will then have a fun car that will have no trouble passing other cars when needed. After a year or so, if your GT is still in one piece and you are still not satisfied with the power, then start to look for a cobra.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
There have been numerous posts like these ever since mid 2002 and you will get a similar response to them. Old cruds like me will say, "NO WAY, drive a POS and suffer till you earn it, you kill yourself" and a bunch of 18-19-20's will come in and say "No problem, do it"

Well I read enough of them to just say, DO IT, get the car, you will be fine.

OLD but not so cruddy, btw, search for user named "catchmecopper" for some similar reading.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
If you can afford it at that age, go for it. If you can't, you might be washing your car alot on the weekend since you won't have any cash to go out with your friends after fuel costs, payments, insurance and any extras.

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
I would say there is a learning curve regardless... most people don't even come close to having a 400 hp car EVER before having one of these.
As I read your post I couldn't help but think of when I bought my first street bike. I never had one before, just 4-wheelers so I got the small one. Started with the 750cc and probably after a couple of months I knew I should of got the bigger one. My buddy bought the 1100cc at the same time and when I would ride it, it just felt right.
OH, also don't forget about that thing called INSURANCE!!! It will suck

Romans8:28

Established Member
Wishing4Cobra said:
ok guys heres my situation,
im 18 years old currently driving a 03 V6 Stang, im thinking about owning a Terminator, but do you guys think that a 18 year old can handle a 400 hp car?
Ive been a huge fan of the 03/04's ever since the first day they hit the lots. I dont street race, and even if i do get a cobra im just gonna start off with some minors mods and just to know that i have 400 hp under the hood incase i need it. The v6 just doesnt cut it for me, wen im switching lanes on the freeway in second, it doesnt even go anywhere. ITS SLOW. I absolutely love cobras... but im just scared that switching from a v6 to a 400 v8 will take me a while to get use to and i'll still be thinkin i have a v6 and punch it trying to pass a car forgetin that its a v8 and loosing control or somethin like that. I know im responsible enough, but i just like to hear some of you guys opinions
Thanks for your time

The very fact that you are taking the time to ask and admitting your not sure is a VERY GOOD sign IMO. You seem to be one of the minority of 17-20 yr olds who might actually be able to ease into the car and not live to regret it.
At the 400 rwhp point the car is fairly forgiving on dry pavement. Wet pavement can be an issue with any car, especially the Cobra. Once you pulley the car or switch blowers, you had better be up to the task. Wheel spin at highway speeds is not a joke.

As others have pointed out insurance, gas, and general upkeep (tires, clutch, breaks, etc) is VERY expensive on these cars. At your age add a potential speeding ticket into the mix and watch out.

Not to pick a fight, but I honestly do not see how ANY 18 year old could afford to buy, insure, and maintain a 03/04 Cobra completely on his/her own. Hell even at my age I can barely do it and I earn considerably over the national average. If you can afford the car on your own and you respect it you should do fine.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Romans8:28 said:
Not to pick a fight, but I honestly do not see how ANY 18 year old could afford to buy, insure, and maintain a 03/04 Cobra completely on his/her own. Hell even at my age I can barely do it and I earn considerably over the national average. If you can afford the car on your own and you respect it you should do fine.
I was thinking the same thing. However, everyone comes from a diff financial background, to each his own. If you go from a V6 to a GT you will notice a HUGE diff in performance and will more than likely satisfy you need for speed.
These Cobras are NO joke and can get you in trouble in a hurry! I know if I had a Cobra at 18 I would probably not have a license right now and I considered myself more mature than the average 18yr old. Get the GT and mod and learn, work your way up to the Cobra and you'll appreciate it more and probably live longer.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
If you are questioning your ability to control yourself i think you have answered your own question. i don't want to be hypocritical because i signed the papers on my 04 when i was 18 but i also came from a full bolton GT, it was a big difference but atleast i was used to and comfortable with a pretty powerful rear wheel drive, v8 stick car. as others have said, and i did from experience, maybe do "babysteps".....get a Mach, GT, or 99/01 cobra and get used to it by having fun with that power and modding it

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
Get your Cobra and don't mod it right away. Get use to driving it and do it responsibily. Just because your young doesn't mean you can't handle a cobra. There are plenty of performance driving event around the country put on by SVT and other organization. Besides being lots of fun you REALLY learn how to handle your car and learn Your limitations

Good Luck

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
DO IT! Just be careful, you dont have to drive it fast all the time. When I first got mine I kind of drove it easy until I felt comfortable enough to really let her loose. You will be fine.

AFJuggalo81

Driver Mod in progress...
Established Member
When I was 19 I used my college money for a down payment on my Cobra (I knew I wasn't gonna be a doctor and the Police Academy only costs around 5 grand complete.) And I went in debt 10,000. Even tho my car payments aren't that bad insurance is just as much lol. I'm not gonna say NO don't do it but keep in mind if you get in 1 fender bender your fault or not your insurance is gonna sky rocket soo high it's gonna be unbelieveable. I'm 20 now gonna be turning 21 in a couple of months and I have no regrets going in debt for my car I pretty much work for it now but coming from someone in your age range be careful if you do get it

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
GT, Mach is not a bad idea. I started on a 90GT with a Cobra motor, then moved to a 97 Cobra, now I have this bad boy. Not too bad, but its one of the fastest cars I've ever driven and scares me a bit when I stomp on it.

A Mach is a fast car, and looks bad ass. I'd start out with that if you are questioning your ability.

These Termys are no friggin' joke, they have balls....

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
I would go GT first. Here's my line of progression.
90GT, 95 Cobra, 97 Cobra, 02 Bolt on GT, Then the 03. I'm only 25, and believe you me, I got in lots of trouble with all those cars at a young age.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's quite a jump from a V-6 Mustang to an '03/'04 Cobra, but if you treat it with respect and learn it slowly you should be fine. My advice would be to get a Mach 1 which will be a bit easier to control and should be cheaper to insure.

I commend you for asking the question here and you seem to be a mature 18 year old. However, the temptation to mod and go faster than you should on the street might be too much to control. Which is why I suggest the Mach 1 (or a GT).

95YellowGTBeast

LS7killr
Established Member
Im 19 I say like everyone else BABYSTEPS this car will get you in trouble real quick, like i found out last week, luckily ive got friends in the local law enforcement divison around here, but get a GT first or a mach 1

whistlin93SVT

Titty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I would say go with the steps. My progression line 93 Cobra (275hp) (18yrs. old), added a blower to it 2 years later (350hp), 3 years later 2003 Cobra (426rwhp). The power difference is unreal.

I say start with the Mach, they are freakin' awesome, and that way you get a 4V.

Oh yea, you said, "I don't street race." You just wait till there is a Z06 next to you on the freeway or at a street light :burnout:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread