Need some feedback, going for 9s eaton only

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Hey guys, im building up my eaton only mach, and could use some advice. Im going for the most power I can get out of it and want to run 9s at 135+. Dont know what it will do on the dyno, but it would be cool to see it hit upper 500s or even touch 600, however, the track numbers matter more. Its about to go down on May 7th for A LOT of upgrades. Ive had a regular flow of parts coming in so its been like Christmas almost everyday Ill list my mods below and please tell me if i am heading in the right direction to hit my goals and if there is anything i can do to squeeze more power out of it.

Some of these mods were existing, but ill highlight all the new stuff going in:

4.6L aluminum block bored .030 over
MMR Stage 3 Ported heads with manley springs, bronze guides, ss forged valves, all new seals/retainers
98 cobra intake cams advanced 4 degrees
Urethane Motor mounts

Manley forged flat top pistons
Manley forged H beam rods
10.1:1 compression
Stock forged crank
ARP Bolts throughout
Even flow cooling mod
Stewart Mechanical water pump
Melling Billet gear oil pump
PA Performance Starter
Posi race ported eaton with a 2.49 upper pulley

Stock caged lower pulley
Port matched throttle body and plenum
C&L CAI with 110 mm MAF
Canton windage tray
1 and 5/8" Pacesetter longtubes with 3" collectors
O/R X Pipe
Magnaflow Magnapack catback(previously dumped at axles)
Division X Dual bearing idler set with snub idler
60 lb injectors
03 cobra tank with twin ford gt pumps

NGK BR7EF Spark Plugs gapped .028
Pump gas that will transition into e85 later

I think thats everything performance wise.....

A note on cooling......I currently have the stock intercooler setup with Evans NPGR Waterless coolant running through it. I will be upgrading it to an AFCO Double pass heat exchanger and Meziere 20 GPM intercooler pump. Just not right away, but I wont be pushing it till I do.

So thats everything. Any advice you can provide is appreciated.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
2.49 pull, I think that will be at 15 psi, you might be able to run a 2 lb lower if this is going to a track only thing. I think instead of the H/E you might want to look into a killer chiller instead. Your IAT's never get as cold as the Chiller will get it. Most importan, weight, car needs to go on a diet. I assume a manual car or you going auto?

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
Put a gear in it, atleast 3.73. dump unneccesary things like the front sway bar and trunk stuff, rear seat, do a tubular K. Like said above do a 2lb lower or just do a 2.93/6lb combo. For track purposes I think a good size ice box would do better than a killer chiller tho, obviously it takes more work to drain it and fill it but it should get it colder.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Any work to the heads as far as combustion chamber? How can your compression only be 10:1 with flat tops? AND a 2.49 upper, WHY?

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
2.49 pull, I think that will be at 15 psi, you might be able to run a 2 lb lower if this is going to a track only thing. I think instead of the H/E you might want to look into a killer chiller instead. Your IAT's never get as cold as the Chiller will get it. Most importan, weight, car needs to go on a diet. I assume a manual car or you going auto?

I had thought about doing a killer chiller.....so i could keep the stock h/e and just run that? I am retaining a/c so it would be ideal. I do plan to drop some weight. Mach 1s arent super heavy which is good, but spare is removed, ill probly do a rear seat delete and a tubular k is in the future. I wish I could do it now, but im not gonna have the funds available just yet.

Yes, it will be a manual car......t-56 magnum. Yes I know, 9s are gonna be tough with a manual, but I prefer to keep it a manual and besides......challenge accepted haha. Plus, it will remain a street car so im not interested in a 3 speed auto + O/D or something along those lines. Been there, done that.

Put a gear in it, atleast 3.73. dump unneccesary things like the front sway bar and trunk stuff, rear seat, do a tubular K. Like said above do a 2lb lower or just do a 2.93/6lb combo. For track purposes I think a good size ice box would do better than a killer chiller tho, obviously it takes more work to drain it and fill it but it should get it colder.

Car has 4.10s already. I was actually gonna step down to 3.73s because as it is im at the top of 4th crossing the line and I want more 4th because Im not shifting 5th. However, I am doing a t56 magnum swap but isnt the 4th gear the same as the machs 3650?

Any work to the heads as far as combustion chamber? How can your compression only be 10:1 with flat tops? AND a 2.49 upper, WHY?

A 5 angle valve job is being done as well. Stock mach 1 compression is 10.1:1 with flat top pistons. Retained the same style piston as factory, but these are forged manleys and they are .030 over.

Whats wrong with a 2.49 upper? I prefer it to an uncaged lower and no one is making a caged lower........

rudycobra

Established Member
I had thought about doing a killer chiller.....so i could keep the stock h/e and just run that? I am retaining a/c so it would be ideal. I do plan to drop some weight. Mach 1s arent super heavy which is good, but spare is removed, ill probly do a rear seat delete and a tubular k is in the future. I wish I could do it now, but im not gonna have the funds available just yet.

Yes, it will be a manual car......t-56 magnum. Yes I know, 9s are gonna be tough with a manual, but I prefer to keep it a manual and besides......challenge accepted haha. Plus, it will remain a street car so im not interested in a 3 speed auto + O/D or something along those lines. Been there, done that.

Car has 4.10s already. I was actually gonna step down to 3.73s because as it is im at the top of 4th crossing the line and I want more 4th because Im not shifting 5th. However, I am doing a t56 magnum swap but isnt the 4th gear the same as the machs 3650?

A 5 angle valve job is being done as well. Stock mach 1 compression is 10.1:1 with flat top pistons. Retained the same style piston as factory, but these are forged manleys and they are .030 over.

Whats wrong with a 2.49 upper? I prefer it to an uncaged lower and no one is making a caged lower........

I have a caged 4 lb lower set up that is like new and will b for sale in few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
I have a caged 4 lb lower set up that is like new and will b for sale in few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM Sent.....

So if I get this 4 lb caged lower, can I run a 2.76 upper with it? Will I still be in the efficiency range with this setup?

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
To me those ported heads are to much for a ported Eaton. On my car I did not do ported heads because we've always said stock heads were good to 700hp. My car will end up with more once the TVS goes on and I even knew this when the motor was built and still chose to not port the heads.

The motor will need a bigger blower.

or

Your biggest restriction is what's going to feed it.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
To me those ported heads are to much for a ported Eaton. On my car I did not do ported heads because we've always said stock heads were good to 700hp. My car will end up with more once the TVS goes on and I even knew this when the motor was built and still chose to not port the heads.

The motor will need a bigger blower.

or

Your biggest restriction is what's going to feed it.

Thanks for chiming in Posi. Well the heads had to be rebuilt before going on, so I decided to go all out with them. Plus my motor has everything else. A heads/cams upgrade just seemed like the next logical step. The car may see a whipple 2.9 later in life so they will still be beneficial. You dont think ill lose power tho do you?

mustang john

Established Member
9s with an Eaton, gonna have to gut the car and get your race weight down to 3000. You need to look up this guys setup if your gonna do it with a stick...

THE PORTED CREW:

2) iBiTe03........................9.91 @ 138.76 w/ 1.37 (4spd/SRA)

Last edited:

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
9s with an Eaton, gonna have to gut the car and get your race weight down to 3000. You need to look up this guys setup if your gonna do it with a stick...

THE PORTED CREW:

2) iBiTe03........................9.91 @ 138.76 w/ 1.37 (4spd/SRA)

Thanks! I sent him a PM

mustang john

Established Member
Thanks! I sent him a PM

Yeah no problem, just so you know 9s with a T56 eaton on boost alone is a very tall order. I think ibite has been the only one to do it and he ran a race prepped TKO600 with the overdrive removed and a very low race weight. He has some vids of his car running and its nasty to say the least lol!

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Yeah no problem, just so you know 9s with a T56 eaton on boost alone is a very tall order. I think ibite has been the only one to do it and he ran a race prepped TKO600 with the overdrive removed and a very low race weight. He has some vids of his car running and its nasty to say the least lol!

Haha, I never expected it to be easy. Ill consider 10s to be an accomplishment first and ill go from there lol. :)

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member

Instead of the Killer chiller just got a nice size Ice box and move to the trunk, leave the 4.10's in it, and run a 2.93 / 6lb lower combo.

Users who are viewing this thread