New 5.0 DOHC GT to have 425hp?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Subbing! Curious about this, been planning a 5l build for my Cobra but if this 32v 400/400 GT becomes a reality, well that's just a good reason for a trade in!

. . . I don't suppose there's any mention of IRS though?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the earliest we might(!!!) possibly see an IRS would be when the next mustang platform/significant redesign is released, which would be ~2014 at the earliest. the mustang GT will, without a doubt, continue on with the stick until then.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
the earliest we might(!!!) possibly see an IRS would be when the next mustang platform/significant redesign is released, which would be ~2014 at the earliest. the mustang GT will, without a doubt, continue on with the stick until then.

I personally like that they kept the SRA, it's still the lightest & best handling pony car out of the bunch.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I personally like that they kept the SRA, it's still the lightest & best handling pony car out of the bunch.
totally agree! it gives the car a bit of a renegade sort of character, as if ford is doing it their way and not the way everyone else is doing it. as street focused as the mustang is, the SRA is still their to remind everyone that it's still a performance pony(advantage on the strip, ≈ on the race track, disadvantage on the street).

JBR87

Established Member
man the weekend is almost done and still no news looks like we're waiting t'ill the new year... gay

and the coyote is a dohc 4 valve, it has variable valve timing on intake and exhaust.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
The root for both may have shared designs, but the new Jaguar 5 litre was mostly developed by... Jaguar. Can you prove otherwise?

Ford sold Jaguar in March of 2008. The 5.0L AJV8 debuted in the 2009 XK and others.....meaning, its development was done by Ford owned Jaguar. Like all high-end brands, Jaguar was a development vehicle for Ford.

Yes that is correct, it will be biased towards the 400hp mark, with not as much torque as what you'll find in the F150 (and the Jag V8). Two different applications, two different states of tune, and hardware differences.

Hmm, if true I am very surprised they would give the Mustang a high horsepower/low torque V8. Depending on how low that torque is and at what rpm, it might not be enough to be the Camaro dominator many are hoping for.

You are drawing comparisons and jumping to conclusions without considering what differences there are.
Anyway, the Ford's is squarer and has different heads.

I contend I am drawing conclusions based on an engine developed by Ford owned Jaguar. I am certain there will be differences and that is what I am interested in hearing details about. That is what I hoping you can tell me about.

You say the Ford engine will be more square. Do you realize the AJV8 is 92.5mm x 93mm? It doesn't get much more square than that.

What do we know about the AJV8 and Coyote heads? That would certainly be interesting info.

The Jag has torque-actuated variable-camshaft timing and cam shaft profile switching. It also has a variable inlet manifold to optimize torque, reverse cooling to keep the heads cool allowing more aggressive ignition timing, and low friction bearings.

The Coyote heads better be worlds better than the Jag heads if the engine is going to make significantly more power.

You'll know more about it when it's released.
Low price, and volume, doesn't mean they can't do it right. Using your theory that the Jag V8 was "developed by Ford", wouldn't that mean Ford could only improve on the Jag's V8????

Did you manage to read about the Ford's 3.7 litre pulling 305hp??? That doesn't have d/i, and cube for cube, that's more power than Jag's V8. Using the same specific power, that's over 410hp for a 5 litre.

Cheers.

Sure Ford can improve on the Jag V8. They have all the R&D from that engine. HOWEVER, they have to put this 5.0L in a $30k car, not a high end Jaguar.

Yes, I have been very impressed by Ford's 3.7L V6, not by the horespower, but by the torque! More of it, at 1,000 rpm lower than Chevy withOUT direct injection. I hope Ford surprises me as much with the 5.0L.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst".....words to live by when you are into the Mustang GT camp lol

Users who are viewing this thread