New Dodge Camaro Dark horse 25k ADMs

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The prices of these new cars are completely out of control. For 2024, the cheapest V8 Mustang you can buy will sticker at 43K. WTF. This is really sad for those of us who enjoyed new 10K Mustang 5.0 LXs. This is likely another reason the hobby is dying. With these prices, I really don't feel bad throwing some money into my 92 coupe.
I get what you are saying but $10K in say 1988 money isn't the same in 2023. Granted though, even in today's money it isn't close to $43k. Some of these vehicles are just ridiculous when it comes to price.

cobracide

Established Member
I get what you are saying but $10K in say 1988 money isn't the same in 2023. Granted though, even in today's money it isn't close to $43k. Some of these vehicles are just ridiculous when it comes to price.

$10k in 88 is now worth $25,289.10. We are almost double that here (170%). Yeah it's out of control.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
$10k in 88 is now worth $25,289.10. We are almost double that here. Yeah it's out of control.

More goes in to the prices than just inflation.

Minimum wage in 1988 was $3.35.

When you add up all the increases PLUS inflation, prices today should be 4-5xs what they were 35 years ago.

Zemedici

Established Member

When you add up all the increases PLUS inflation, prices today should be 4-5xs what they were 35 years ago.

This

More tech

Dash, suspension, brakes Etc etc etc

All that shit cost $$

cobracide

Established Member

Fair enough.
Average Household income '88 - $34,016.82
That $10000 car was 29.4% of the income

Average Household income '23 - $87,864
This $43k car is 49% of the income in '23.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Fair enough.
Average Household income '88 - $34,016.82
That $10000 car was 29.4% of the income

Average Household income '23 - $87,864
This $43k car is 49% of the income in '23.

Back in 1988 the spread from lowest earners to highest earners isn't as wide as it is now.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
This

More tech

Dash, suspension, brakes Etc etc etc

All that shit cost $$
Sure it's a little of that and a dash of the government requiring certain things. Imagine if Ford would offer a Mustang built as minimally as the customer wanted it rather than piling group after group of things one may not want for the purpose of said vehicle. The company would make it quicker and cheaper and sell 'em like crack rocks in Compton.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sure it's a little of that and a dash of the government requiring certain things. Imagine if Ford would offer a Mustang built as minimally as the customer wanted it rather than piling group after group of things one may not want for the purpose of said vehicle. The company would make it quicker and cheaper and sell 'em like crack rocks in Compton.

Sadly, the performance crowd makes up the minority when it comes to vehicles.

The majority of the customer base, wants them just like they are.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
25k ADM!?

D34465C2-CF4E-4191-811A-ED2C3A98E715.jpeg

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
The first time I ever seen it was on a 07 GT500. It sat for over a year in my local dealership. I have no idea what it ended up selling for.

I remember there being an ADM on the PT Cruisers, and the retro Thunderbirds as well.

cobracide

Established Member
Do you disagree?
I'm done fishing, the wage gap has increased a new "hot rod" is only available to the high end wage earners. Average Joe is out.

I'm sure you're aware of the length of the average car loan is substantially longer now than in the past. The truth is - even the "average" new car is becoming out of reach for the average American.

No wonder Kia and Subaru thrive. Who would have ever guessed ADM on a KIA.

robvas

Established Member
Average joe can afford a hot rod.

It's just that there are some really expensive cars out there now that the average Joe can't afford. But YouTube etc makes it sound like everyone has one.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
ADM has been around forever. I'm old enough to remember people paying over sticker and waiting for a basic Honda Accord. When the Beetle came out in 1998 people were paying $1000 over and $2500 over for a yellow one.

Me, I'll never pay over. I'll wait. I'd buy a new F-150 every 2 years or so, I'm still rocking my 2019 for now and will for a while at these prices.

cobracide

Established Member
Average joe can afford a hot rod.

It's just that there are some really expensive cars out there now that the average Joe can't afford. But YouTube etc makes it sound like everyone has one.
Sure some avg Joes can, no kids, no wife are the best options. Point being as a part of income it's WAY more of a burden now than it has ever been. I was working off of GT numbers at $43k.

Users who are viewing this thread