New GT500 Limited to 180 MPH

Coiled03

Established Member
Lol, guys arguing

Most people don't know how to find a differential, let alone integrate.

But, now we've opened up nerdly things....

I've been seriously thinking of putting together a white paper about the relationship of acceleration vs. total integrated area of the power curve. Should be about 17 pages when done.

Check out SAE document #2000-01-3544, if you're a member of that organization. That's the paper I wrote on the topic. That was back in 2000. Good grief that was a long time ago.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Only 180 MPH?!?!?!?!

giphy.gif

Recon

Established Member
That's flat out moving at Road Atlanta on the back straight! Although, in the 80s and 90s the back straight did not have the chicane...but that's still impressive. I was hitting low 130s in a stock 2014 gt.

track up to late 90s:

View attachment 1558319

track now (turn 10 is the chicane):

View attachment 1558320

They were in some 930’s. Set up by Franz Blam for the track. My father has a few metals from his escapades when he raced, and a retired race car converted back to street use.

Pick your poison.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Ok Let me chime in here. I am in a position to buy one and I have a relationship with a dealer that has "promised" me one at MSRP at launch. I will not be getting one and here is why:

• The lack of a manual transmission.
  • The lack of passion behind this product ( It was launched without any hard statistics in a presentation that also had a launch of the new Ford Expedition SUV.
  • Top Speed limited to 180mph.
  • In the modern day muscle car wars, this does not do anything for bragging rights as the latest halo car for Ford.
Here is why my 2013 GT500 is far superior and more significant than this car will ever be:

• At launch, the 2013 GT500 shockingly announced 662hp a few days after Chevy touted their 580hp ZL1.
  • At launch, the Trinity motor was the most powerful mass produced V8 offered in a factory legal car.
  • First and if this rumor of 180mph limitation is true, the ONLY Mustang to statistically go 202mph.
  • The last Mustang to be developed under the SVT program.
  • The last Shelby to have input from Carroll Shelby himself before his death.
Bragging rights are just that. Bragging rights. 99% of the buyers will buff it and drive to the local cars n coffee with it. But because they will be used in this manner, they need bragging rights to say how fast the car can go, how much faster the car is than the hellcat redeye etc.

In my opinion, bragging rights are everything. There is no other reason to buy this car.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
Ok Let me chime in here. I am in a position to buy one and I have a relationship with a dealer that has "promised" me one at MSRP at launch. I will not be getting one and here is why:

• The lack of passion behind this product ( It was launched without any hard statistics in a presentation that also had a launch of the new Ford Expedition SUV.
  • In the modern day muscle car wars, this does not do anything for bragging rights as the latest halo car for Ford.
Here is why my 2013 GT500 is far superior and more significant than this car will ever be:

• At launch, the 2013 GT500 shockingly announced 662hp a few days after Chevy touted their 580hp ZL1.
  • At launch, the Trinity motor was the most powerful mass produced V8 offered in a factory legal car.
  • First and if this rumor of 180mph limitation is true, the ONLY Mustang to statistically go 202mph.
Bragging rights are just that. Bragging rights. 99% of the buyers will buff it and drive to the local cars n coffee with it. But because they will be used in this manner, they need bragging rights to say how fast the car can go, how much faster the car is than the hellcat redeye etc.

In my opinion, bragging rights are everything. There is no other reason to buy this car.
So you buy cars purely for bragging rights? How embarrassing :)

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member

I actually agree with a lot of this, especially the lack of passion behind the product. Anyone who watched the launch in Detroit and loves Mustangs/Shelbys/SVT had to be embarrassed by that shit show. We argued on this very site about how Ford didn't need to do anything special because the following is so strong that the car will sell regardless, and my point was that just because you'll get the sale doesn't mean you should half-ass it. The car might be great, but I agree 100%, no heart behind this model from Ford.

I daily drive my manual car in Las Vegas. Even in a city with horrible traffic, a manual is easy and fun and there are plenty of opportunities to lay into it. I have no idea what the thinking was from Ford to not offer a manual option except for the fact that again, they just care about sales and put no passion or thought into the model.

2013-14 Trinity cars are the ideal Mustang...period. I loved my Terminator and I have driven a Trinity as well as the GT350 and 350R. Its Trinity all day long. My 2016 GT PP is plenty of car for me and is much more refined than the Terminator. The Trinity has everything...refined (to a point), power, looks, performance. It is the marriage of the Terminator and the new muscles cars that are out today. The perfect balance.

As for what others buy their cars for, I don't care. I just enjoy driving a manual car that is plenty fast and looks good. It is a shame that most of the people who will be able to afford the new 500 don't buy their cars to enjoy them, they just buy them for bragging rights and to say they have one.

The new 500 will be a great car, but it won't be special like the Trinity or Terminator and I blame that on Ford. Just my two cents.

blk02edge

Established Member
You modify cars and run them. So whats a tune to eliminate the 180mph limit? Its not some law that you need to abide by? I can understand lack of a stick shift but bragging rights over a car someone else built doesnt work in my brain. Bragging rights is for people who build cars not buy them.

Zemedici

Established Member
You modify cars and run them. So whats a tune to eliminate the 180mph limit? Its not some law that you need to abide by? I can understand lack of a stick shift but bragging rights over a car someone else built doesnt work in my brain. Bragging rights is for people who build cars not buy them.

To still have the ‘built vs bought’ Mindset in 2019 is mind blowing to me. Does it REALLY matter?

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Sooo, Ford did it just like Dodge ran a 9.65 in the Demon....So let me clarify, a production Stock 13/14 GT500 has never reached 200MPH like a production Hellcat has. I really didn't think that would have need clarification lol.
I'm not here to join this pissing match, but the link clearly says the car ran 200.
If I remember, Ford claimed 202 MPH top speed.
Since the '13 was produced, the ones I've seen with the most negative input are the guys that don't own one. Human nature I guess? Anyway.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I'm not here to join this pissing match, but the link clearly says the car ran 200.
If I remember, Ford claimed 202 MPH top speed.
Since the '13 was produced, the ones I've seen with the most negative input are the guys that don't own one. Human nature I guess? Anyway.

lol, the link clearly says A PROTOTYPE went 200. There have been multiple attempts to get a stock production model to 200mph and they weren't successful. How can that be construed as negative? The 13/14 is a great car, and if I ever got back in a Mustang it'd be my top choice (followed by a 03/04). Fact remains the Ford claimed 200mph hasn't been duplicated.

blk02edge

Established Member
To still have the ‘built vs bought’ Mindset in 2019 is mind blowing to me. Does it REALLY matter?
Thats not what im saying. Im saying wtf is the point of bragging about a car you didnt build? A simple tune will bypass the 180mph figure, how many people are going out to do top speed runs in totally unmodified cars? I have absolutely nothing against buying cars and keeping them stock.

Literally not one person is impressed by someone with a car the bank bought for them and someone else built, doesnt mean they cant enjoy the car

Zemedici

Established Member
Thats not what im saying. Im saying wtf is the point of bragging about a car you didnt build? A simple tune will bypass the 180mph figure, how many people are going out to do top speed runs in totally unmodified cars? I have absolutely nothing against buying cars and keeping them stock.

Because it’s his car
Because he pays for it
Because he can do whatever he wants with it
Because it’s supposedly a fast piece of machinery
Because it’s his car

Come on, he’s right, 90% of the ‘new Model craze’ is showing off to your buddies how your shit is better than their shit. Ya know? Like when one of the guys gets a new track toy and starts talking a bunch of shit about he’s the fastest.

Same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread