New guy. 2010 or 2011 GT500?

taz2005

Established Member
My 1st post here but I spent 8 hours this weekend glued to this site, reading and enjoying the threads. I have owned over 40 cars but not one a Mustang. The 5.0 Mustang puts out nice numbers and the new engine has some serious potential but I have decided that a 2010 or 2011 GT500 would be my first Mustang.

I found a dealer who has a new 2010 GT500 on the lot for $45,900 and I can probably get another $1k off that. It doesn't have the SVT package but it has the Electronic package. MSRP is around $52k. I am thinking that is a sweet deal but I am kind set on having the SVT package and the new aluminum block in the 2011, and I could do without the Elec package. But the $45.9k asking price for this one has me thinking twice now.

I found a 2011 GT500, race red, stripes delete with the SVT package for $49,900. $2.5k off MSRP. And I would have bought this yesterday if it had the white stripes. But I am seriously thinking about this as well. So I am asking myself, is the aluminum block and SVT option worth paying $4k more than the 2010 above?

Then there is the race red 2011 GT500 with Elec and SVT packages, white stripes, at $55.7k MSRP. I like this one best but I haven't asked for a discounted price yet but I doubt it will be anywhere near the price of the 2 cars I listed above.

What would you guys do. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
you can always add the white vinyl stripes you want for a couple of hundred bucks (professionally installed).

PLATIADO

Established Member
PM me if you have a chance, I want to give you a # so you can contact this person before you buy.

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
Either one is awesome; 11 is better. Price always means a lot but get the one you want...... .02

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Get the 2011 an the 2010 is over priced as the 2012s are around the corner. Most dealers I've seen are selling there 2010 at invoice now.

taz2005

Established Member
thanks everyone. You are right, I shouldn't settle. I can go without the Elec package so it looks like I will be looking for the best deal on a 2011 with the SVTPP option and stripes. A 2011 GT500 in Ingot Silver with red stripes is my second choice and I found one for $2k less than MSRP so I might do it this weekend. I just sold my 2010 Camaro SS with a Magnuson supercharger, exhaust, yada yada yada...600 rwhp. Had my fun with it so time to move on to a Mustang, finally! I am not a brand fanatic, I love cars period. The GT500 has always been something I wanted but in SoCal, dealers were marking them up like crazy. Even now, I spoke with a dealer who still marks them up $10k over MSRP.
I will be pretty active here I am sure. So you all can look forward to a lot of noob questions from me. I will try to use the search function as much as possible but there'll be time when I am lazy.
I will post pics when I get mine.

I can't send PM yet. I guess not enough posts so far.

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
A friend of mine bought a Brand New 2010 Shelby GT500 with 29 dealer miles for $40,000. Plus TT&L. Jus to give you some info. He went out of state and bought it from a "small" dealer. Very Very nice car.!!

Last edited:

BigDan

Established Member
So I am asking myself, is the aluminum block and SVT option worth paying $4k more than the 2010 above?

Yes it's worth it. Ford gave 2011 owner's over $10k in upgrades over the 2010 model and that's even without the SVT PP. Here is a list I made for a member on TS who wanted to know the difference between a 2010 and 2011 non-PP.

*Aluminum block
*Electric steering
*Silver finish on SC
*Blue power coat valve covers
*Improved exhaust manifolds
*Larger exhaust diameter
*H pipe vs 2010 X pipe
*Painted rear end
*Finned aluminum diff cover
*Improved brake cooling
*Auto start ignition
*40% larger inter cooler
*HID's standard
*No gas guzzler tax
*Flip up/ down rear headrests
* Improved under body aero dynamics
*Orange antifreeze
*Bigger faster more complex computer
*Wideband o2's?
*New colors
*Improved suspension, fixed the 2010's wheel hop.
*10 horsepower more but seems to make more like 20whp
*Factory "Boost a pump" for the fuel pump
*"My key" for limiting speed and TC for certain keys
*Different cam part numbers, some say its the Ford GT cams due to the 2011's making peak whp at redline
*Optional glass roof
*Blind spot side view mirrors.
*extra sound deadening material

+ everything that's in the SVT PP

99GTCONV

Established Member
you can always add the white vinyl stripes you want for a couple of hundred bucks (professionally installed).

Wow, how far from the truth. I contacted a ford dealer and the SVTPP stripes and rocker panel stripes for every section wa 1100 dollars. The stripes are not cheap as one would think.

damon94

Established Member
If you go to ford for anything your gonna pay an overinflated price. There are other places to get the vinyl stripes. And it can be done at most shops for a couple hundred bucs including the material. OR the op can buy my 07 with 30k miles for 30k its the color you want already.

Last edited:

taz2005

Established Member
Another day of day dreaming! Last night, I made a decision to go ahead and buy the 2011 silver with red stripes, SVTPP for at almost $3k below MSRP,located 2 hours away. This morning, I got a call from my local Ford Dealer who found the car I want, 2011 race red, stripes, SVTPP and Elec/Nav packages...will let me have it at $1k over invoice which will be a little over $51k, and can have it in their showroom by this evening!!!! This is probably the same 2011 at the dealer a few miles away that doesn't really wanna budge from MSRP.
So I think this red/white is a better deal for $51k with SVTPP and Elec packages compared to the $50k silver/red without the elec package.

After reading the post above listing the 2011 upgrades over 2010, I am more convinced to get the 2011 despite the $4k savings on a 2010.

Looks like I will be joining your GT500 ownership ranks pretty soon. Thanks again for the inputs.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Defintely get the Electronics Package. There is nothing that can compare to the new Nav with Sync for the GT500. I would be kicking myself if I didn't. I tell everyone if your going to mod the suspension of the car then forget about the PP package. Not worth it in my opinion. If your going to leave it stock and track it then get the PP. Whatever you do defintely get the Electronics Package. The world is your playground with it

taz2005

Established Member
Defintely get the Electronics Package. There is nothing that can compare to the new Nav with Sync for the GT500. I would be kicking myself if I didn't. I tell everyone if your going to mod the suspension of the car then forget about the PP package. Not worth it in my opinion. If your going to leave it stock and track it then get the PP. Whatever you do defintely get the Electronics Package. The world is your playground with it

I wasn't so sure about the elec package until I read your post. My wife wants the nav so I figured it will be better for me in the long run...with Nav maybe no more Nag.
I plan to track it now and then and I live 20 minutes from the Santa Monica mountains so the SVTPP is a must to have for me.

BIG DAN, thanks for the advise re GT500 you sent me at camaro5.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Another day of day dreaming! Last night, I made a decision to go ahead and buy the 2011 silver with red stripes, SVTPP for at almost $3k below MSRP,located 2 hours away. This morning, I got a call from my local Ford Dealer who found the car I want, 2011 race red, stripes, SVTPP and Elec/Nav packages...will let me have it at $1k over invoice which will be a little over $51k, and can have it in their showroom by this evening!!!! This is probably the same 2011 at the dealer a few miles away that doesn't really wanna budge from MSRP.
So I think this red/white is a better deal for $51k with SVTPP and Elec packages compared to the $50k silver/red without the elec package.

After reading the post above listing the 2011 upgrades over 2010, I am more convinced to get the 2011 despite the $4k savings on a 2010.

Looks like I will be joining your GT500 ownership ranks pretty soon. Thanks again for the inputs.

good Deal at 51k

apg2369

SNAKE OF ALL TRADES
Established Member
Just remember just like on star if you get sync you will have big brother watching if someting goes wrong your screwed ...I would never put those systems in my car.

They know where you are how fast your going etc,etc at all times if they wanted to look along with the insurance companies if there is an accident !

Users who are viewing this thread