New here: here's what I am dealing with. Hoping for insight

MS03DSG

Established Member
Hey guys. So I bought my 03 DSG about two weeks ago. Uh, which may or not be one of the highest mileage beasts on here. (clocking in at 115k) The car is a solid 9/10 and doesn't even look as if it has reached 40k. Anyway, The previous owner first put the car up for sale in 2013' and it has been sitting in a shop (Owned by PO) ever since. He also stated he had only driven the car maybe 400 miles. First let me list mods, and then we will get to technical issues that I am having:

2003 Cobra: dyno'd @ 565hp @ 16lbs boost
KB 2.6
KB Cold Air
SCT BA2600 Sensor
SCT Chip tuned by Mike at SCT
Accufab SBTB
60LB Injectors
Kenne Bell BAP
D&D 26 spline input shaft
Mcleod RXT1000 clutch
Magnaflow mid pipe and catback
BC coilovers

On way home I felt a miss/stumble part throttle. It happened mostly then 4th/5th but wasn't too terrible. I bought the car near Nashville, and drove back home to N. Georgia. Next day it felt worst, and started happening more. Now it seems to do it more in 2nd, but regardless has always been at about 2rpm-3rpm. I hit buyer up and he says plugs could be bad. or it be bad gas um. Gee, would have thought that would have been taken care of and checked before I handed him 16k but Anyways, no big deal. Plugs I can handle. Since then, we have discovered the intercooler pump is shot, there is popping upon hard braking, and today the radiator cap threw up hella coolant. Replaced new cap. Hoping that solves the issue. We replaced plugs, NGK-7s, car is still stumbling. Intercooler pump will be here tomorrow. Have checked TB and it looked clean. What is next? Coils? Tune? The only tune it has seen was a safe tune online order.

Thanks for any insight! This car has been my dream for years and it is pretty frustrating seeing it just sit in the garage days after I bought it. But what can you do, miles, and maint. are a must and it just didn't seem to get that or much drive time. Excited to make it mine, and get the ball rolling and continue putting out some great numbers.

11311242_1632490903663565_565255696_n.jpg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
What does the wife (Leslie) think about the new car? That said, my car will do this little stumble/miss on old gas.

MS03DSG

Established Member
It's sick nasty. I came from a 95 Cobra. So it's a good change of pace lol. She's Just needing some love.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Get some good injector cleaner like the Chevron stuff, mine will do the same as I rarely drive it.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
For starters I would do a compression testo see how healthy the motor is. If all checks out I would find a reputable tuner and take the car for a retune. Sounds like you have a mail order tune so that very well could be the problem.

As for the coolant issue that could be numeruos things. Since you just replaced the cap the next thing I would do is burp the system and get all the air out. Do a search for cobra coolant burp procedures and you should find the proper way.

Good luck

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
What did the old plugs look like, and what was the gap?

Also what did you gap the new plugs at?

evolve

Established Member
For starters I would do a compression testo see how healthy the motor is. If all checks out I would find a reputable tuner and take the car for a retune. Sounds like you have a mail order tune so that very well could be the problem.

As for the coolant issue that could be numeruos things. Since you just replaced the cap the next thing I would do is burp the system and get all the air out. Do a search for cobra coolant burp procedures and you should find the proper way.

Good luck
This x1000!

MS03DSG

Established Member
Plan on getting her to a shop after pump goes in. Old plugs were very inconsistent. All different ranges 27-34. We gapped at .30. Here is pic of old plugs. This was drivers side.

image.jpg

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
Then I would take gas out of the equation. What plugs were in it? 7's seem a little too cold, I'd put a tr6 in @ .030. But I dont really think that's the issue either. It sucks you have a chip as I've seen cars "lose" their tunes before which is easy to just reload with a handheld. I would Find a good shop near you and call them to see what they think as far as if they believe it's in the tune or not. In the mean time, do a compression and leak down to verify the engine isn't hurt at all. The coolant out the cap would scare me.

MS03DSG

Established Member
Then I would take gas out of the equation. What plugs were in it? 7's seem a little too cold, I'd put a tr6 in @ .030. But I dont really think that's the issue either. It sucks you have a chip as I've seen cars "lose" their tunes before which is easy to just reload with a handheld. I would Find a good shop near you and call them to see what they think as far as if they believe it's in the tune or not. In the mean time, do a compression and leak down to verify the engine isn't hurt at all. The coolant out the cap would scare me.

7's were in it prior. Went with the NGk again just for safety measure and the non projected tip. It scares me too, fingers crossed no blown gasket. Going to dig deeper tomorrow.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You've already been given recommendations to resolve your issues, so I'll just toss in a "congratulations" on buying your '03 Cobra. I had a DSG '03 Cobra back in 2003-2005. So whenever I see a new DSG Cobra the memories get stirred up. Hope you get everything sorted out soon so that you get settle down to enjoying it. :thumbsup:

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I would not waist any time, get down to the part store, and get a decent hand held scanner.
I have a 150.00 Equis brand , there are less expensive , and more , but get one that you can monitor all of the functions .

Read fuel trim , sounds like you may have a weak fuel pump .

A scanner will get you on the right track without screwing around with guesses.

I doubt your coolant cap was your problem, they really don't go bad that often , but sometimes they do .

That is another part, that can be tested , before throwing money away.

Get some test strips, for the presence of combustion gasses in your coolant , this will tell you if you have a leaking head gasket .

Really need to see the center of your plugs , to be able to read them for you .
Nice looking car, good luck .

Zemedici

Established Member
I would not waist any time, get down to the part store, and get a decent hand held scanner.
I have a 150.00 Equis brand , there are less expensive , and more , but get one that you can monitor all of the functions .

Read fuel trim , sounds like you may have a weak fuel pump .

A scanner will get you on the right track without screwing around with guesses.

I doubt your coolant cap was your problem, they really don't go bad that often , but sometimes they do .

That is another part, that can be tested , before throwing money away.

Get some test strips, for the presence of combustion gasses in your coolant , this will tell you if you have a leaking head gasket .

Really need to see the center of your plugs , to be able to read them for you .
Nice looking car, good luck .

This.

LMK if I can help ya any, experienced with the cobras and live in the area. Good luck and let us know.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
+1 at TR6s , burping , and retune. get to learn your cobra OP, i too came of a n95 cobra and these are totally diff and temperamental lol.

read the write up and do the burp, i've done mine a few times and it got easier. the TR6 with the .30-.32 gap is good. stock is like .44 and i noticed a big diff. just gapping them instead of stock like i had them. don't feel frustrated OP s it happens to a lot of us. cars are blast once they're running right, congrats on that beauty!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Your in the ATL area? Bob Kurgan is right up the street, get it data logged, tuned and freshened up. He will do you right.

I have you beat in mileage, 119K:poke:

CobraLucci

LEO
Established Member
Mine has a miss like a pop pop pop while accelerating at times, and my tuner told me my ignition coils were at fault... this may be your issue aswell. I havent confirmed this because i rarely drive it. :/

RichM1983

Established Member
I had this same issue once and changed my FRPS and it helped. Some guys have that go and the car won't even run. I changed that, the plugs, and the coils all at the same time so maybe one of those fixed it and not the FRPS. Just one more thing to consider if you continue to have the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread