New here: here's what I am dealing with. Hoping for insight

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL there's a member on here with over 300k miles. Car looks clean Op. I agree compression test, leak down, and get the tune checked out.

MS03DSG

Established Member
Thanks for the insight. I already do have a program scanner. Ran it last night on warm up and here are a few things we ran across...

Short bank
image_1.jpg

Long bank
image_2.jpg

I don't know much about fuel trim, so maybe you guys can help here.

And here's a few more on idle/rpm reads

Idle:

image_3.jpg

2rpm
image_4.jpg

3rpm

image_5.jpg

Idle

hotcobra03

Established Member
Welcome....fwiw...get leakdown and compression test done 1st..

2nd see stickys above each section..you will find everything you need to help. .

Sweet ride...hope you get a chance to enjoy it for a couple miles..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I forgot to mention that you should read through my Terminator FAQs when you get a chance. Lots of very helpful info there about the '03-'04 Cobra.

94vert50

Established Member
Congratulations! Love the DSG. Great to see a car that isn't low mileage anymore but still in great shape.

BURP that cooling system now regardless! The cap wasn't the problem... Read the procedure on here from the guy at Reische performance. And in the meantime, don't take that cap off unless the motor is completely cooled off!

Good luck with your other issues and enjoy!

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
great advice already given…but I might also add get a real datalog with full parameters like SCT will give you. Try logging "misfires" and see if a cylinder sticks out like a sore thumb so you can possibly identify more quickly

IMG_1352.JPG

I think in the end if the compression checks out a-ok….I'd recommend a quality retune from one of the ford supercharged modular tuning gurus that are available across the country. The tune is the single most important item you can have for the enjoyment, safety, drivability and power of the motor.

Smokin04

Pump Gas KING!
Established Member
The thing that stands out most to me is the spewing of coolant. This NEVER happens even if the car is filled incorrectly. If filled wrong, it will just overheat. I have never seen one pop it's top just from a wrong fill. As much as I hate to say it, I think that car has a torched head gasket. Have you kept an eye on the coolant level? If you're having to fill her often, then that's most likely the culprit (other than a simple leak). A compression check can show, but a leak down would be better. One tell tale sign is "milkshake" in the oil pan. Have you checked/changed the oil yet? Also, just because there is no "milkshake" does NOT meant the head gaskets are good. It depends on where the gasket is broken. I would START there.

Next, I would look at the fuel system. It doesn't look like a FRPS because of the logs you posted. FP climbed as it should, and plus, you would smell fuel under the hood. They're only plastic, and the membrane inside of them when damaged can't hold the fuel or vapor in them. Could is be the pumps? Sure, but you would have starting hesitations, and stumbles at a wide range of RPMs. Keep it simple, swap out fuel filters as it may have never been done and at 115K its well past due. Plus, they're like 10 bucks. Add a can of Lucas injector cleaner on 2 tanks of gas in a row to ensure your fuel system is nice and clean.

Next, examine your front O2 sensors (green ones). THey appear to be functioning correctly from your logs, but when faulty, (even one bad one) can cause experiences like you're listing (except I still think it's the head gasket).

Coil packs. Too easy to rule out. Find a buddy with a sound running car. Borrow his for 30 minutes. Drive the car. If problem goes away, good deal. I seriously doubt it's a coil pack because it would behave much like the fuel pump. Stumble, pop, and bang at all RPMs

Hold off on the tune until you know for sure that's what it is, otherwise you're wasting precious dollars on a car that wont tune. Once you've done EVERYTHING listed above, THEN get a tune because with no remaining mechanical issues, you've narrowed the field of issues down enough to now shine a flashlight on the tune as being the problem.

MS03DSG

Established Member
I thought I would come back and UPDATE. Culprit seems to be the fuel pump! After quote on quote already having it replaced before I bought it. But hey, I'll take it. No head gasket issue thank God. Psi was only at about 30. New pumps going in and a few other minor things, a good tune, and she'll be rolling! Thanks for all the advice.

oldmodman

Established Member
That's good news.

For all the dire predictions a fuel pump is a pretty inexpensive repair. Get it fixed, get a new tune on it and go enjoy the hell out of it. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread