New RST Clutch is Toast

Lennnny

5EBBFC9A-7CC6-457E-9885-2E66BCAB2498.jpeg
Several months ago I had had a shop replace the clutch of my stock 2009 GT500 with a McLeod RST. Just had it pulled due to dragging and it is toast (see picture). Seeking some feedback on what most likely caused this failure - improper install by the shop, faulty RST, or something else. So here’s the details:

Had clutch replaced, aluminum flywheel, braided clutch line, slave cylinder, bearing, and also did MGW shifter and Mobil1 ATF. When I picked up the car, I noticed that it was harder to get into first gear, but just assumed that it was just the new shifter or something. I did the 500 mile clutch break in (no high revs, easy on throttle). It was still hard to shift into first gear, but all the other gears felt ok. Then I drove more aggressively, and noticed a burn smell when I revved the engine (if stopped and in first gear with clutch pedal fully depressed). I knew that was a problem, but I stupidly assumed that the factory belt was just getting old and slipping when I revved. So I only revved the engine once or twice, then had the same shop do install a new belt, new blower, cold air intake, headers, spark plugs, injectors, and tune (dyno’ed at 700 RWHP). I told the shop owner that it is uncomfortably difficult to shift into first gear (and also reverse), and asked him to look into it while that had the car for all the performance mods. He said yeah it is hard to shift, so he looked at the shifter and it looks ok… Then I drove it another several hundred miles, never raced or tracked the car, and then it became nearly impossible to shift into first or reverse, and any shifting at all while driving got more difficult for all gears (I started having to rev match). Also, the car would start to drive when stopped and in gear with the clutch pedal fully depressed. At this point I wasn’t driving the car except a few miles a month because it was clear that the clutch was dragging and I didn’t want to ruin the transmission. The same shop just pulled the clutch this week and this is the message from the owner:

Clutch install looks good, pilot looks good, main shaft looks fine. The clutch is discolored blue due to allot of heat built up which likely warped the floater shield which made the disk start rubbing the floater shield. The disks have wear on the edge of them due to shield being warped. With it being warped the clearance is not correct. At this point the clutch kit must be sent in to McLeod. This is a first for me to see one actually change color…

So after all that, I was pretty dumb not to realize the clutch was dragging until it got so badly damaged. Now I’m just puzzled as to what could have caused this in the first place, and if it was dragging from the time it was installed (I suspect it was, and just got worse and worse as heat build up caused warping). Should a new RST be more difficult to shift with than the factory clutch? If it wasn’t installed properly, what step could have been done wrong? Not bleeding the system? Anyone else have a similar issue with an RST?

cobracide

Established Member
It’s the RST twin disc, supposed to be good for 800 hp
Well I had one and it wasn't good for 525 unless McLeod changed something in the past couple years. Maybe it was not installed properly. Maybe only gripping one of the disks. I really think McLeod was over-optimistic on the rating. There are more than a few guys who toasted RSTs on 500hp in a short amount of time. That's why most of the guys around here went straight to the RXT being just pullied.

From the McLeod Site for RST:
"Organic lined clutch discs will provide smooth engagement with a soft pedal effort to make this clutch kit ideal for the street only performance enthusiast. This unit is not intended for competition use!"

This tells you all I need to know.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Sounds like bad install.

Rst will hold 800 if not tracking it. Amd installed properly

They do not like heat though. Burnouts. Clutch dumps. They will not hold up. Rxt will with the ceremetallic material

Feel free to DM me or call me up with any questions. Terry “Beefcake” Reeves - 855-827-7223 - www.beefcakeracing.com #beefcakeracing #teambeefcake

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Based on your description, improper bleeding of the clutch hydraulic system is the most likely culprit. I had a reputable Mustang performance shop with a great mechanic replace my first clutch, and my car seemed to drive ok initially. During clutch break-in, I could intermittently feel the clutch dragging. Knowing that it wasn't right but trusting the install, I purchased my own vacuum tool and bled the clutch per the Ford Work Shop Manual procedures, and it solved my problem. In my opinion, bleeding the clutch system by only pumping the clutch pedal is NOT good enough; you need to apply vacuum to remove all of the trapped air.

RST should hold at your power level if not racing or abusing the clutch.

Shifting should be easy with ANY clutch assembly that is fully disengaging when the clutch pedal is fully depressed.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
The RST will handle 700 . . . not sure why anyone thinks otherwise. Plenty of people who have had that clutch at those levels and beyond.

Maybe it was mentioned somewhere . . . but I wonder if the slave was shimmed to provide appropriate preload?

Lennnny

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll look into the shimming / preload, and fully bleeding with a vac tool, now just a waiting game for getting my RST rebuilt!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Ive seen more RST burnt up than any other clutches for the GT500s. Even the stock Oem 07-09 clutch and nodule iron flywheel hold up better.

mhunsr

Established Member
Burnt RSTs are probably due to improper installation or bleeding. They are better than stock due to mid plate (the one between the 2 clutch plates) being thicker. My stock clutch failed due to this plate getting hot and warping causing all sorts of issues under normal driving conditions. I have had the RST in my car for 10 years, 42,000 miles, and several track events.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Mt Rxt failed and was dragging to the point I couldn't engage 1st or R unless I had it in gear prior to starting it. I called Mcloud and they told me the pressure plate probably failed. The clutch was 4 years old but only driven 2,000 miles and never tracked.

I was pissed. I went with a Spec 3+ w/ light pedal option and never will recommend a dual clutch from that company..

Spec clutch is amazing and lots more cheaper!!!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ive seen more RST burnt up than any other clutches for the GT500s. Even the stock Oem 07-09 clutch and nodule iron flywheel hold up better.

Seems to be that once the RST gets cooked/glazed at all it's just toast, very little room for error. The RXT will take abuse and imho is perfectly drivable in my cable driven dinosaur

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Burnt RSTs are probably due to improper installation or bleeding. They are better than stock due to mid plate (the one between the 2 clutch plates) being thicker. My stock clutch failed due to this plate getting hot and warping causing all sorts of issues under normal driving conditions. I have had the RST in my car for 10 years, 42,000 miles, and several track events.
Your stock clutch failed because the nodular iron flywheel would warp when it was hot. causing the clutch to wear out faster. When the TSB came out originally it replaced the flywheel with billet steel and it fixed the issue. Ford went away from the ceramic clutch, because people complained of the on/off feel and went to an organic style used in the 2010+ gt500s.

Users who are viewing this thread