New SVE Drag wheels

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Depends on what they have patented. I hope SVE/LRS is sucessful though, Racestars are outrageously expensive for what they are.

a lightweight drag wheel that is designed to clear big brake packages, at $425 to your door is outrageously expensive?

keoni1984

Established Member
That's a negative, not a nice thing. Shank is much stronger.
Why is this?
Maybe it has to do with the unilug version or just the shank that Racestar provides, but I've read many negative posts about them. However, the McGard shanks are supposedly quite resilient.

Edit: I am very happy with the direct drilled dark star's I have on the back. Very nice wheel.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Why is this?
Maybe it has to do with the unilug version or just the shank that Racestar provides, but I've read many negative posts about them. However, the McGard shanks are supposedly quite resilient.

he's saying a shank is stronger, not the acorn

a shank goes through the wheel, much better than an acorn sitting on the end

doesn't matter if direct or unilug, they both use a shank, like most drag wheels

keoni1984

Established Member
he's saying a shank is stronger, not the acorn

a shank goes through the wheel, much better than an acorn sitting on the end

doesn't matter if direct or unilug, they both use a shank, like most drag wheels
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Poppacapp

Established Member
As soon as I opened this thread last week I said well there's a lawsuit waiting to happen! Summit/Jegs over seas brand wheels tries doing copies of our Weld wheels, but they are different enough not to consider it a big deal. These however are an exact copy to the Racestar wheel.

And how would they be an exact copy if you are able to use acorns with them instead of shanks like the racestars?? Hmm???

faztcobra

Established Member
And how would they be an exact copy if you are able to use acorns with them instead of shanks like the racestars?? Hmm???
It doesn't have to be an exact copy. Think of the way Apple sued Samsung over the "rectangles with rounded corners" design. Many phones have that "design", but they aren't exactly alike. While the Race Stars/SVE drags are incredibly similar, they do have differences. I hope the SVEs are able to stick around. It'd be nice to have more competition amongst drag wheels.

Laloosh

Established Member
a lightweight drag wheel that is designed to clear big brake packages, at $425 to your door is outrageously expensive?

Bottom line is that it is a 15 inch wheel. The wheels are overpriced for what they are and everyone knowns it. I hope LMR releases their wheel, then I hope some other company copies it and make it even cheaper :)

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
look pretty similar to me...

rsi-92580150dsd_9868.jpg

630x700-SVEDRAGS_zpsf747cd82.jpg

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
And they all look similar to the original wheel.... Greg Weld Drag Stars.....

Last edited by a moderator:

kevinp

Established Member
Lot of drama over some 200.00 wheels.

Racestars are made in China, and China doesnt care about trademarks/patents. If the SVE pics are accurate they arent copies of Racestars, they come from the same place.

Why would anyone copy a Greg Weld/Racestar if they were tooling up to build a new drag wheel? A lot of other designs to copy or combine so you dont have to worry about trademarks.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Guys that think 200 bucks a wheel is outrageous...LOL.

I must not be as baller as you because I think $1k for a set of wheels(not including tires) that are only useful on a drag strip is a tad ridiculous.

If you're too ignorant to comprehend that competition in the marketplace ultimately benefits the consumer, then I don't know what to tell you. Enjoy paying for your overpriced, 15" wheels, I guess?

alex12gt

Established Member
I'm sure race star knows these will kill there sales.....we need competition in the "cheaper" drag wheel market it only goes to help us get better prices

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
I'm sure race star knows these will kill there sales.....we need competition in the "cheaper" drag wheel market it only goes to help us get better prices

That, and it'll kill their profit margin too. If Racestar wants to be competitive with the SVE wheels, they'll have to lower their prices. (Again, competition benefits us, the consumers....)

Users who are viewing this thread