North American Track Tour

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The marketing guy I talked to at Road America said they wanted to set up the same style events for the introduction of the Focus RS next year. I'm wondering if it will be for the ST crowd, or if any of the SVT vehicles will qualify you. I would love to go again next year and thrash an RS.

This got me really excited and too optimistic.

Hopefully 2 new Fords and a NASA membership is enough to be considered lol.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Chris, I've noticed what looks to be Bob's oil separators on some recent GT350's. Did any of the cars at the event you attended have them?

Here's a recent clip of the Motor Trend test car that shows one plumbed into each side of the engine.
I posted about those two months ago from Sonoma Raceway on my other favorite forum. ;-) In mid August I talked to a couple of Ford engineers about them and they were insistent that they weren't needed. They said the voodoo does not have the same oil ingestion problem as the coyote. Yet there they are on all the Track Tour cars that are intended to be driven on track. Hmmm. I'm sure Bob is going to sell a lot of them in the near future. I like the design of that can better than some of the others I've seen. I'll probably go this route on the passenger side only vs. the race car breather setup I now have on my car.

IMG_2876_zpswh8w4kpt.jpg

IMG_6117_zpsyw9lbymd.jpg

IMG_6118_zpswiprzcuz.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I immediately thought of your photos and the conversation we had when I saw the video. At least they are using a factory style clamp now.

I don't see Steve from Bob's around that much anymore. This will definitely keep orders coming in.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Motor Trend and Randy Pobst are filming head to head GT350 v Z28 at Chuckwalla Track outside of palm desert in CA. Looks like they have track pack and R with the z28.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Chris/Rick - something else. We were told early on about thirty or so areas where the FPC engine and the NVH that comes with it had to be addressed. Of all the visible ones anyway, I'm interested in what I see at the transmission/crossmember interface. Note the rather sizeable mass dampers (or what appears to be anyway) that bridge the crossmember to areas both fore and aft. This is a fairly sizeable "fix" on a car where every nook and cranny was evaluated for potential mass/weight reduction.

r1.JPG

r2.JPG

Related, was how Ford kept the overall transmission assembly as short as possible. Early TR3160 development photos showed what looked to be the '13/'14 GT500 fixed flange (which was used to test a CF driveshaft) in place but the production flange is much shorter (and won't allow a factory style design CF shaft). I talked to Steve Turner about this and IIRC, he said that engineers at Tremec said there was a "tail wagging the dog effect" with the longer flange. Did any of the engineers at either event comment on this specifically?

Installed on a development TR3160 is the GT500 "cup-style" fixed flange and on the left is a much shorter flat flange. When bolted into place the transmission assembly is a bit shorter with the production "flat style" flange due to elimination of the cup as the production two piece steel shaft is using a U-joint up front as opposed to a CV joint on a factory CF shaft assembly.

12-Tremec-3160.jpg

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I did not have any discussions related to NVH. I've heard elsewhere that because of the vibration and the fixes that are in place to "keep it from shaking apart" that I'd be VERY cautious about doing any modifications to the drive train and that includes all pieces of the exhaust and probably the shifter. When my car arrives my focus will be on wheels/tires and brake pads along with safety gear. I'll sit on the sidelines to see what happens when others mod their cars and get denied warranty claims because of it.

On another note did you catch the R&T comment about the GT350R running oil temps in the 280-300 range? The oil cooler looks small to me so this could be an issue. The R has a smaller radiator opening for aero purposes but I wonder if that is affecting cooling as well?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Those oil temps do sound a bit high.

As for doing or not doing much in terms of driveline mods, you can bet on a better shifter being done. Better materials, more detailed design, and a more precise/accurate mechanism without disregarding NVH concerns. Bank on it.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I have no doubt that MGW will come through in a big way. My concern is if there is an issue elsewhere Ford denies the warranty claim because the car has been modified.

Voltwings

Established Member
I did not have any discussions related to NVH. I've heard elsewhere that because of the vibration and the fixes that are in place to "keep it from shaking apart" that I'd be VERY cautious about doing any modifications to the drive train and that includes all pieces of the exhaust and probably the shifter. When my car arrives my focus will be on wheels/tires and brake pads along with safety gear. I'll sit on the sidelines to see what happens when others mod their cars and get denied warranty claims because of it.

On another note did you catch the R&T comment about the GT350R running oil temps in the 280-300 range? The oil cooler looks small to me so this could be an issue. The R has a smaller radiator opening for aero purposes but I wonder if that is affecting cooling as well?

Quite the opposite in fact, its better for cooling. Check it out : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

In a nut shell, if spaced properly, an inlet's opening only needs to be a fraction of the radiator height due to the way it will build pressure in front of the radiator. 280-300 is really hot though ... Granted, these cars probably go through the ringer being driven by magazine after magazine, test driver after test driver after test driver ... Its probably a very long day for them.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I wonder if its an isolated incident. Lots of guys have hot lapped this car and this is the first I have heard about cooling issues.

cluscher

Established Member
With all the testing Ford has done to tout this as a track ready street car that is subject to mass volume warranty standards, my belief is this issue is a non-issue.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Quite the opposite in fact, its better for cooling. Check it out : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

In a nut shell, if spaced properly, an inlet's opening only needs to be a fraction of the radiator height due to the way it will build pressure in front of the radiator. 280-300 is really hot though ... Granted, these cars probably go through the ringer being driven by magazine after magazine, test driver after test driver after test driver ... Its probably a very long day for them.
I'm familiar with the principal but theory and reality don't always match up. Ford made that opening smaller not for cooling but for aero. That's directly from a Ford engineer that worked on the car. For cooling a radiator it's about total air flow through the radiator not how fast it flows through it. The Boss 302's of which I'm very familiar with ;-) had huge cooling issues on track and the only way to remedy it was to open up the grill opening to allow more airflow through. Nothing and I repeat nothing else solved the problem. So while I'm confident Ford did a great job with the 350 reading that the oil got so hot early on and not even in a hot climate or high elevation is a big concern in my book.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
This car was tested for 24 hours straight on track not to lose more than 3% off of its original hero lap time. The only thing changed were tires and brake pads. Don't know of another manufacturer that's pulled a test like this.

Users who are viewing this thread